Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Let further note, that Obamacare will largely remain.

You really think congress is going to pass a clean repeal, resulting in record high rates of uninsured Americans?

Political suicide.

The exchanges may be turfed; but costs will remain, employer health plans will remain; and if insurance is no longer mandatory, costs on the residually insured will rise.

Trump has lowered no taxes as yet; and last I checked there was still a US Federal deficit.

Which program is he going to sack? How high will he run the debt?

The truth his he may well cut some tax rates; but this will be paid for by eliminating deductions, and/or corporate subsidies; and again, he has to get that passed first.

The current gross Corp tax rate in the U.S. is 43%; in Ontario its 26.5% for large business [[incl Fed. rate) and 19.5% for small business.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Let further note, that Obamacare will largely remain.

You really think congress is going to pass a clean repeal, resulting in record high rates of uninsured Americans?

Political suicide.

The exchanges may be turfed; but costs will remain, employer health plans will remain; and if insurance is no longer mandatory, costs on the residually insured will rise.

Trump has lowered no taxes as yet; and last I checked there was still a US Federal deficit.

Which program is he going to sack? How high will he run the debt?

The truth his he may well cut some tax rates; but this will be paid for by eliminating deductions, and/or corporate subsidies; and again, he has to get that passed first.

The current gross Corp tax rate in the U.S. is 43%; in Ontario its 26.5% for large business [[incl Fed. rate) and 19.5% for small business.
    Trump said that Obamacare was created by executive order. He said he will repeal that executive order within his first week of office. Executive orders don't need congressional approval. Do you not get how the American political system works?

What he replaces it with, if he does, I don't know, but he said the US is not going to have a single payer system like Canada and he's getting rid of Obamacare because it's too expensive and replacing it with something a lot cheaper. [[All his words, not mine).

Whether it's political suicide, it doesn't matter. It's not a parliamentary system. He's there for 4 years regardless of whether the majority of Congress agrees with him.

What PROOF do you have that he won't do what he said?

As I recall, he's reducing the gross Corp tax rate in the US from 43% to 21% in the first year, so it will be less than Ontario. He's also decreasing the income tax rates significantly less than Canada's, plus a bunch of other tax cuts. No carbon tax and repealling most of the environmental legislation, which means a lot cheaper energy.

What programs he will sack and how high he will run the debt is irrelevant at this point because he's now elected.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Trump said that Obamacare was created by executive order. He said he will repeal that executive order within his first week of office. Executive orders don't need congressional approval. Do you not get how the American political system works?

What he replaces it with, if he does, I don't know, but he said the US is not going to have a single payer system like Canada and he's getting rid of Obamacare because it's too expensive and replacing it with something a lot cheaper. [[All his words, not mine).

Whether it's political suicide, it doesn't matter. It's not a parliamentary system. He's there for 4 years regardless of whether the majority of Congress agrees with him.

What PROOF do you have that he won't do what he said?

As I recall, he's reducing the gross Corp tax rate in the US from 43% to 21% in the first year, so it will be less than Ontario. He's also decreasing the income tax rates significantly less than Canada's, plus a bunch of other tax cuts. No carbon tax and repealling most of the environmental legislation, which means a lot cheaper energy.

What programs he will sack and how high he will run the debt is irrelevant at this point because he's now elected.
    I pride myself on not name-calling. I tend to view it as juvenile and unhelpful, at best.

But there is a point, where I can no longer abide someone speaking as if they understand how to spell their own name, when that clearly is not the case.

Dave, The 'Affordable Care Act' ....[[ie. Obamacare) can not be repealed by Executive Order. It was passed by the House, the Senate and signed by Obama.

Its a law.

It is true, that Trump has many tools at his disposal through Executive Order to gum up the system.

Such as not appealing a court ruling that the reimbursement of insurers for certain policies, was not expressly provided for in the act. [[rough summation).

However, the Law clearly provides that insurers MUST provide such policies to low-income persons. The only way this is viable is via subsidy. In the absence of said subsidy you might bankrupt the insurers.

Good plan!

[[facepalm).

You have no real understanding of the issues; and this discussion, should it continue would degenerate into me making a complete fool out of you; save and except for the fact you do that the moment you open your mouth w/o my help.

I will spare you the embarrassment, and myself the waste of breath by ignoring you hence forth.

I pride myself on not name-calling. I tend to view it as juvenile and unhelpful, at best.

But there is a point, where I can no longer abide someone speaking as if they understand how to spell their own name, when that clearly is not the case.
    You must have alzheimers. You name called me in your very first post to me in the first sentence, so what pride are you talking about? You have no idea what you are talking about and instead of responding analytically to everything I said, you focus on only one subject of my response thinking it's your saving grace, which you screwed up anyway.

Dave, The 'Affordable Care Act' ....[[ie. Obamacare) can not be repealed by Executive Order. It was passed by the House, the Senate and signed by Obama.

Its a law.
    Yes, the Affordable Care Act was passed by the house. Obama made changes to it that didn't pass the house, which is why it's known as Obamacare. Likewise, if a President introduces a bill that passes both houses is what gets its name, then Medicare would be called “Johnsoncare” and Social Security “Rosecurity.”

http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/obama-cla...alth-care-law/

WASHINGTON — President Obama claims he had the “executive authority” to change the Affordable Care Act after it became law.

But at a news conference Friday, the president did not say, and was not asked, what gave him the executive authority to delay enforcing the Obamacare employer mandate for a year, which many critics say was blatantly unconstitutional. ...

It is true, that Trump has many tools at his disposal through Executive Order to gum up the system.

Such as not appealing a court ruling that the reimbursement of insurers for certain policies, was not expressly provided for in the act. [[rough summation).

However, the Law clearly provides that insurers MUST provide such policies to low-income persons. The only way this is viable is via subsidy. In the absence of said subsidy you might bankrupt the insurers.

Good plan!
    So how is Trump, as he says, going to completely repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act with Ben Carson's idea of Health Savings Accounts then?

Maybe you're the one who needs to get his head checked.

http://www.fox8live.com/story/336730...our-healthcare

NEW ORLEANS, LA [[WVUE) - President-elect Donald Trump doesn't mince words when it comes to his thoughts on the Affordable Care Act. According to his website, Trump is calling for a complete repeal, saying no person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to."
    His position also states he plans to "replace Obamacare with Health Savings Accounts." We spoke with a Tulane Associate Professor of Health Policy about what that could mean.
    "Until we see what replace looks like, we have to understand that we're looking at 20 to 24 million people who stand to lose their health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act," said Tulane Associate Professor of Health Policy Mollye Demosthenidy. ...

[[facepalm).
    Go back to the washroom and palm yourself until you can act normal. I already got a woman. Do you just go up to everybody and offer hand jobs? Do you think this is Hollywood Boulevard? Geez. Sicko. No thanks!

You have no real understanding of the issues; and this discussion, should it continue would degenerate into me making a complete fool out of you; save and except for the fact you do that the moment you open your mouth w/o my help.

I will spare you the embarrassment, and myself the waste of breath by ignoring you hence forth.
    Are you from another planet? You've already made a complete fool of yourself in every response to my posts. Talk about a waste of my time. Why is it when I read anything you have to say I remember this image of Trump and think it's you he's mocking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXgjnBpxGI
    Last edited by davewindsor; November-10-16 at 03:11 AM.

Fuck moving to Canada. Move to a swing state!
    Wait, what? Michigan's a swing state now? Oh, well just stay here.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Obamacare was not created through an executive order. It was created as a law through the legislative process and passed by both houses of Congress. He can get rid of it if he wants, but it will take an act of Congress to repeal it. However, he's already walking back his promise to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Obamacare was not created through an executive order. It was created as a law through the legislative process and passed by both houses of Congress. He can get rid of it if he wants, but it will take an act of Congress to repeal it. However, he's already walking back his promise to get rid of it.
    Correct. Obamacare [[ACA) was passed just like Social Security, Medicare, etc.

The discussion above wasn't about 'changing' Obamacare, but delaying implementation or enforcement on a provision. That isn't unusual in legislation which has a 'start up time' before all provisions of the legislation takes effect.

As of today, pls. correct me if I'm wrong, Obamacare is like Social Security, Medicare, etc.

It is established law and unlike most laws, Congress does not have to pass appropriation acts to pay for the benefits. The benefits are automatically paid for because they are authorized [[required) by statue.

The only thing Congress does is appropriate money to pay for running the various programs, e.g., Social Security, Medicare, ACA, etc. but not the expenditure of funds to pay the benefits. This is what drives some crazy. There is no way to 'contain' the cost of the programs. E.g., Social Security costs increase automatically as more and more beneficiaries join the program. Benefits are 'indexed' to inflation and increase automatically.
    Last edited by emu steve; November-13-16 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Correct. Obamacare [[ACA) was passed just like Social Security, Medicare, etc. ...snip...
    Well, only sorta... Obamacare was passed by Congress just like SS & MC, but SS & MC were bi-partisan. Obamacare was a very controversial move that was essentially shoved down the throats of Republicans. Nobody likes that.

It will take an Act of Congress to repeal. Trump has already said he likes parts of Obamacare. So it probably won't be a repeal.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; November-18-16 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Well, only sorta... Obamacare was passed by Congress just like SS & MC, but SS & MC were bi-partisan. Obamacare was a very controversial move that was essentially shoved down the throats of Republicans. Nobody likes that.
    None of this is true.

Both Medicare and Social Security were highly partisan bills that were passed by Congress over virulent Republican opposition, which was unusual for back then.

The Republican Congress has been the party of "No" during the entire Obama Presidency, regardless of issue. This is in contrast to the pre-tea party, pre-alt-right radicalized Republican party, that tended towards bipartisan compromise.