Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I might be totally misinformed here, so please- correct me in this instance if I'm way off base in my assumption here...

For a museum called the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, do they really do anything WITH Detroiters? I can't recall any Detroit artists of note really exhibiting there. I see more outsiders coming exhibiting there than anything else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing things other than Detroiters exhibiting at a local space but shouldn't there be some representation of the amazing local talent there?

Compared to the Detroit Artists Market which is a stone's throw from them, the DAM exhibits some pretty astonishing stuff from the locals.

And now hiring an outside architectural firm to re-do their space? Is the only thing Detroit about the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit in name and geography only?

Again, I'm pleading some ignorance here as I'm not the art intelligencia. It's just my perception- so please, feel free to tell me I'm way off base here. Or if I'm spot on, feel free to continue the debate and discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    I might be totally misinformed here, so please- correct me in this instance if I'm way off base in my assumption here...

For a museum called the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, do they really do anything WITH Detroiters? I can't recall any Detroit artists of note really exhibiting there. I see more outsiders coming exhibiting there than anything else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing things other than Detroiters exhibiting at a local space but shouldn't there be some representation of the amazing local talent there?

Compared to the Detroit Artists Market which is a stone's throw from them, the DAM exhibits some pretty astonishing stuff from the locals.

And now hiring an outside architectural firm to re-do their space? Is the only thing Detroit about the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit in name and geography only?

Again, I'm pleading some ignorance here as I'm not the art intelligencia. It's just my perception- so please, feel free to tell me I'm way off base here. Or if I'm spot on, feel free to continue the debate and discussion.
    MOCAD has always been pretty up-front that it's a venue for international contemporary art, and that it's more important to establish the museum as a national player than to exhibit lots of Detroit artwork. It's a tightrope that institutions of this order walk: Don't show enough local art and you have a certain set that will complain. Show more Detroit art and then they'd get complaints that they're competing with or poaching from from the area's struggling art galleries. That said, they have included plenty of Detroit talent over the years.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    MOCAD has always been pretty up-front that it's a venue for international contemporary art, and that it's more important to establish the museum as a national player than to exhibit lots of Detroit artwork. It's a tightrope that institutions of this order walk: Don't show enough local art and you have a certain set that will complain. Show more Detroit art and then they'd get complaints that they're competing with or poaching from from the area's struggling art galleries. That said, they have included plenty of Detroit talent over the years.
    so this sort of set up is okay for you on this ONE issue? Complete horseshit and hypocrisy, given your position on everything else. It was recently muted on this website, but perfectly pointed out.
    Last edited by bartock; February-27-12 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    so this sort of set up is okay for you on this ONE issue? Complete horseshit and hypocrisy, given your position on everything else. It was recently muted on this website, but perfectly pointed out.
    I don't know what you're talking about, bartock. I think you're going to have to find some quote where I say that all local companies must use all local resources all the time. So good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post

MOCAD is a boon to the Detroit art scene regardless of how many or few Detroit artists they display. And to be honest, there aren't that many great artists in Detroit, nor is Detroit a major art hub or center. So by bringing attention and "outsiders" to Detroit, MOCAD is doing a huge favor. Hopefully some more "local" galleries will pop up and more "local" artists will make art and show it. But to be fair, there are a decent number of artists from Detroit, but most move to art hubs such as NYC. We really need to get past this Detroit exceptionalism/boosterism and realize where we are at in the world. Detroit can rise from the ashes... but not through ignoring reality.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    MOCAD is a boon to the Detroit art scene regardless of how many or few Detroit artists they display. And to be honest, there aren't that many great artists in Detroit, nor is Detroit a major art hub or center. So by bringing attention and "outsiders" to Detroit, MOCAD is doing a huge favor. Hopefully some more "local" galleries will pop up and more "local" artists will make art and show it. But to be fair, there are a decent number of artists from Detroit, but most move to art hubs such as NYC. We really need to get past this Detroit exceptionalism/boosterism and realize where we are at in the world. Detroit can rise from the ashes... but not through ignoring reality.
    Casscorridor... we do have CCS and Cranbrook... 2 of the finest art schools in the country. Now where the individuals end up after graduation is another matter... but [[greater) Detroit is indeed an arts center for both industrial and cultural arts.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Having lived in NY, and been friends with people in the arts there, I can tell you there aren't many "great" artists there, either. At local galleries, I've seen essentially the same quality from NY-based artists as Detroit artists. What NY has is a much broader range of poseurs with deep pockets

As far as local architects go, there is plenty of talent here. The limiting force in most designs are the vision and/or pockectbooks of the owners. Go to CCS, LTU and U of M and see the work the students are putting out. The creative talent has always been here, but the opportunity to create edgy, world-class [[albeit "magazine") architecture does not exist in a depressed economy in a second-tier city. Internationl firms like SmithGroup have world-class talent and often do the most progressive work overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    As far as local architects go, there is plenty of talent here. The limiting force in most designs are the vision and/or pockectbooks of the owners. Go to CCS, LTU and U of M and see the work the students are putting out. The creative talent has always been here, but the opportunity to create edgy, world-class [[albeit "magazine") architecture does not exist in a depressed economy in a second-tier city. Internationl firms like SmithGroup have world-class talent and often do the most progressive work overseas.

don't forget UDM...however small and marginalized one may think the program is, it turns out top talent. unfortunately all the arch grads have flocked to the coasts, other midwest cities, or oversees [[myself included). cranbrook is also a magnet for high design. depending on the contract/scope of work mocad may work with a local firm to do construction documents & administration.