I might be totally misinformed here, so please- correct me in this instance if I'm way off base in my assumption here...

For a museum called the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, do they really do anything WITH Detroiters? I can't recall any Detroit artists of note really exhibiting there. I see more outsiders coming exhibiting there than anything else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing things other than Detroiters exhibiting at a local space but shouldn't there be some representation of the amazing local talent there?

Compared to the Detroit Artists Market which is a stone's throw from them, the DAM exhibits some pretty astonishing stuff from the locals.

And now hiring an outside architectural firm to re-do their space? Is the only thing Detroit about the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit in name and geography only?

Again, I'm pleading some ignorance here as I'm not the art intelligencia. It's just my perception- so please, feel free to tell me I'm way off base here. Or if I'm spot on, feel free to continue the debate and discussion.