Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Eastown Theater

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by cub View Post
    It could happen. I have a serious vision for the Harper corridor between Vandyke and Gratiot. The Eastown property is included. $1,000,000 is crazy though. There are alot of grant moneys for a project this big especially for a non profit. Give me a little time and you will start to see this neighborhood flourish.
    I would first develop a security team. This team would patroll the commercial district thereby decreasing crime and theft and and bringing in some shops and businesses to the area. It can happen.
    Your thoughts on grants and non-profits all sound nice, and it may be the last hope for this building, but you've got to be kidding about security patrols. They would be kicked out or killed by the gangs and crooks the very first night. Detroit needs to police these areas more heavily, and let's be honest, that is not happening for at least several years.... When that time comes the building will be falling to the ground like the Packard Plant. Another sad loss for Detroit.

Perhaps a non-profit will come in, perhaps the city will pull together its resources to pull an area like this from the brink, but there are lots of neighborhoods in Detroit and only a handful that are finally rebounding. With the city in debt and crisis, it is hard to find out where to concentrate your efforts and resources.

If saved, the Eastown could be an integral part towards the realization of the 'city of villages' concept currently discussed by urban planners, businesspeople, and agriculturalists. I can see it being the 'hub' of a small farming community within the city, surrounded by fields of corn, fruit orchards, and wind generators. But it is hard to face the fact that this may be an improbable scenario.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; November-19-09 at 03:06 AM.