Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    EDBL, just ignore that idiot. He's not worth the time.
    That's not an argument, idiot.

And no, the sky is not falling like EDBL claims. The city is livable and people shouldn't use this incident, which I don't believe is wholely accurate, as a general statement about the state of this city and why people shouldn't live here and opt for the burbs instead.

crawford Guest

He's giving an officer security advice from a bad Hollywood movie? Wow, just wow.

Crawford! Have you turned a new leaf? Maybe slightly... You finally made a post that didn't piss me off.. hell, I actually AGREE with your post

oh my god...

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    He's giving an officer security advice from a bad Hollywood movie? Wow, just wow.
    No, I just don't want to waste an hour quoting a bunch of case studies from criminology articles. It's easier to just quote a movie to make my point.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    No, I just don't want to waste an hour quoting a bunch of case studies from criminology articles. It's easier to just quote a movie to make my point.
    Here's a quote.

You sir are an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by EDBL View Post
    Here's a quote.

You sir are an idiot.
    And you, sir, are full of shit.

as he types.. his keyboard trembling in rage
    You are not worth the keystrokes

as he types.. his keyboard trembling in rage
    You are not worth the keystrokes
    Ditto......

Yes, you're just using this as an opportunity to get back at me for an earlier post. I did not miss the facts. The victim did not say what area of the city it happened in. It could have happened in Southwest Detroit for all I know.

These burglars jump a fence and shot a dog like a couple of crackheads, yet they are sophisticated enough to disarm an alarm without ever having been inside the building before? I don't buy it. Why was it so easy to get it in? The victim mentions a security door? What exactly is that? My security door is a steel fire door with steel frame secured by eight inch carraige bolts that go straight into the brick wall that I picked up from Habitat. A used steel firedoor and frame with carriage bolts and spray in foam = $100. Impossible to kick open. My deadbolts are $200 Ikons from Germany with three sided keys that are next to impossible to pick, not those cheap easily picked $10 one sided key deadbolts from Home Depot. IKON will give you, what did the locksmith say, $5,000 if somebody successfully picks them. If you loose the keys, a locksmith has to spend over half an hour to drill a hole through it to open it. I have cemented glass block windows on my basement and easily accessable windows. Style that keeps with the old architecture and heavy duty security. And, if you have a decent alarm, it'll have a telephone dialer feature so you can have it dial one of your neighbours if the alarm goes off when you're out of the area. There's so many things you can do to secure yourself that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. To walk away from a really nice house and run around the city screaming the sky is falling because you didn't properly secure your property and ended up getting victimized is just bs. Sorry for the loss, but getting robbed is something you just have to be out on the lookout for when you're living in a larger city. This is not unique to Detroit proper. People get robbed when you don't properly secure your property in other larger cities too.
    Holy shit, if you got to go through all this to live in a historic neighborhood in Detroit you need to have your head examined. This is exactly what I tell my brother who lives on Hubbard, south of West Vernor near the Blvd. He lives [[ if you call it living) with steel bar gates, security cameras, guard dogs and guns. If he goes out to dinner, god forbid if he forgets to close his garage door, the idiots who live in the apartment building up the street will just help themselves. Take an after dinner walk to get some fresh air- forget that if it's after dark. I live in a modest area near Troy in a 1950's ranch, If I go to Flordia for a couple weeks and forget to close my garage door or lock my house, guess what? nobody would touch anything. I can walk the streets around here ANYTIME day or night without a second thought. If police or EMS are needed they arrive almost instantly when called. I suppose urban living is great in Chicago or New York or Philly and other places where you have a slightly more normal atmosphere.

Hi EDBL,

I'm sorry for you loss. You have my sympathy and condolences.

Yeah, I know several people with bars and cameras in Indian Village. I'd say IV is much safer than Bosten Edison, but there is a lot of transient crime. Seems like some on DY still try to downplay it even after roughly 10 years of being on here.

EDBL,

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your best friend.

That's not an argument, idiot.

And no, the sky is not falling like EDBL claims. The city is livable and people shouldn't use this incident, which I don't believe is wholely accurate, as a general statement about the state of this city and why people shouldn't live here and opt for the burbs instead.
    All this from a knowledgeable citizen of Detroit who lives in Windsor.

Lorax Guest

EDBL, thanks for posting your story, just read it through. I agree, I was going to take the plunge in BE and had been looking for the right house for nearly 3 years, and ended up buying in Southfield.

Crime is out of control, and even in broad daylight there is every likelihood that living in such circumstances has become the norm.

I am sorry for your loss, I can't imagine coming home to find the same thing having happened to my animals. You did the right thing by moving out, and the city and it's future is what loses the most in this scenario.

Now if Detroit does it like we did in Atlanta........someone is going to get lots of extra police protection LOL. On a serious side EBDL thanks for your story. I'm retired City of Atlanta and we've been thinking about BE. If they can pull this one on you I'm getting a better idea just how bad it is up there. Maybe not quite the place for an old cop pushing 60

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    And EBDL does? He doesn't live there. He said he moved out. Working there, yet living in the burbs are two different things. If things were bad in the past, it doesn't mean things are as bad now.

His story is bullshit. Think about it. He tells this story to "warn" people not to move into the city? Out of what? What's his motive? The goodness of his heart and his caring for others? Out of a sense of justice and a sense of his need to see others are well protected? He wants to make a difference so citizens don't make the same mistake?

Read this again:
    That dog was the best of the best ...

1. The alarm was monitored by a security company but there was no mobile patrol option. As I said, I arrived [[from Windsor strangely enough) shortly after they broke in. I could still smell the gunpowder. Frankly, the name of the company is none of your business.

2. DPD does not have the resources to spend trying to get these guys other than trying to increase patrols with little manpower which is out of my control anyway. To their credit, they came right away when I called in but that is probably because I am an officer myself...
    He says his dog was the best of the best and it meant the whole world to him. He says his home was monitored, YET he refuses to give the name of the monitoring company. Why? That monitoring company did a crappy job that cost him his best of the best. That company gives people a false sense of security. If it were me and I lost my best of the best, I would be bashing that monitoring company and warning people not to use their services, not defending them by keeping their name out of it.

WHY? He doesn't live there anymore. He has such a strong sense of justice to warn people not to move into the city, yet he defends the monitoring company whose home security advice cost him his best of the best. I used to work for the police department. I get a sixth sense of when people are telling me bullshit stories.

Why should he bash the monitoring company. Maybe I'm reading the post wrong, but he said they had no mobile patrol option, not that they didn't do something they were supposed to do.

Lorax Guest

EDBL's mentioning of the monitoring company was just a statement of what their particular services were, and slamming them wasn't the purpose.

He knew that when he signed up, and most likely thought it was sufficient to his needs. It wasn't the company's fault that their services only went so far.

No reasonable person thinks that anything more than prison-like security bars/doors, a menacing dog, and a monitoring system would be necessary to keep thugs out. I understand this. At a point, there is only so much you can do, and you give up. Nothing wrong with that.

Who want's to be the Omega Man?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Exactly. If d-bag in windsor feels so strongly about living in BE, perhaps he should put up & shut up and move there himself instead of lecturing other posters on their choices.

LodgeDodger Guest

And EBDL does? He doesn't live there. He said he moved out. Working there, yet living in the burbs are two different things. If things were bad in the past, it doesn't mean things are as bad now.

His story is bullshit. Think about it. He tells this story to "warn" people not to move into the city? Out of what? What's his motive? The goodness of his heart and his caring for others? Out of a sense of justice and a sense of his need to see others are well protected? He wants to make a difference so citizens don't make the same mistake?

Read this again:

He says his dog was the best of the best and it meant the whole world to him. He says his home was monitored, YET he refuses to give the name of the monitoring company. Why? That monitoring company did a crappy job that cost him his best of the best. That company gives people a false sense of security. If it were me and I lost my best of the best, I would be bashing that monitoring company and warning people not to use their services, not defending them by keeping their name out of it.

WHY? He doesn't live there anymore. He has such a strong sense of justice to warn people not to move into the city, yet he defends the monitoring company whose home security advice cost him his best of the best. I used to work for the police department. I get a sixth sense of when people are telling me bullshit stories.
    Sixth sense, eh? Well, my shit detector tells me you are full of it. I pray nothing like EBDL's experience happens to you.

ziggyselbin Guest

I have read many of windsor daves callow contributions. I do wonder when dave will announce the purchase of a home in detroit; be it b-e,indian village english village etc etc. Looking forward to your residency.

crawford Guest

Dave in Windsor, why the hell do you live in Windsor?

If you think Detroit is soooooooooooooo fantastic, so much that you are willing to risk your health and those of your loved ones, then go for it!

You can buy a large, well-built, prewar brick house in Dexter-Davidson for basically nothing! Almost free!

In fact, the entire Westside, from West Grand Boulevard north to Highland Park, and west to almost Livernois, is filled with nothing but large, well-built prewar brick homes, built for upper middle class professionals. Boston Edison is only the most famous of these neighborhoods. And, excepting Boston Edison, these homes are almost free! You will have your pick of hundreds of homes for almost nothing in sales price.

If you really, honestly think that the quality of the house alone is the primary consideration in making a home purchase, you would be foolish to turn down a "free" house in Dexter-Davidson...

Just to balance out all the doom and gloom, for most of the last 20 years I've lived in Highland park, Wayne State area, and Hamtramck and have never been mugged or had anything stolen.

Plenty of people live in Detroit [[and Hamtramck) happily.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    If you think Detroit is soooooooooooooo fantastic, so much that you are willing to risk your health and those of your loved ones, then go for it!

I would be putting an offer down on the BE one in a heartbeat if my money and resources weren't tied up in three other large real estate deals. My properties were devalued and I had two of my lines of credit cancelled because of the credit crunch and new lending rules. They don't recognize my past success and hard work anymore. Do you own any real estate? Is that your excuse for not taking the next step anywhre [[if not Detroit)? Safety?

TO RID0617:

The poster, EDBL, stated that his residenceWAS NOT in Boston-Edison, His residence was in the Oakman Boulevard Historic District, which is about 1.5 to 2 miles to the northwest of Boston-Edison.

TO LORAX, who stated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I am sorry for your loss, I can't imagine coming home to find the same thing having happened to my animals. You did the right thing by moving out, and the city and it's future is what loses the most in this scenario.
    You stated that EBDL should have moved out. If all the good people who live in Detroit, like EBDL, move out, wouldn't the city of Detroit continue to decline, but even more rapidly than ever before? Do you want to see the city continue to decline? If so, why are you on a DetroitYES forum?

If all the good people move out, where is the hope for the city?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast