Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I'm sure there are other places but if read my comment, I said "most" and not "all." I am aware of municipalities having lax rules regarding felons running for public office. Another reason why the current charter has to be burned and rewritten.
    But what if you exclude a future Mayor or Councilman that is a driving force for the city of Detroit, because of something they had done earlier on in their life? From your stand point it could be inferred that you do not trust the citizens of our fair city to make a sound judgement and vote a candidate worthy of the post or office they look to hold.

We might be in a catch 22 here. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

At the very least think of it this way, Convicted Criminals have been caught, makes them less likely and less cheeky to do it again? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Novack View Post
    At the very least think of it this way, Convicted Criminals have been caught, makes them less likely and less cheeky to do it again? Maybe?
    ????? ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    ????? ?????
    What?

I'm just saying, it seems to me a lot of politicians end up getting caught while in office. Maybe we should make it mandatory for all politicians to have been caught prior to running for office instead of empowering them and then catching them after the fact. Maybe a little less damage will be done then.

But what if you exclude a future Mayor or Councilman that is a driving force for the city of Detroit, because of something they had done earlier on in their life? From your stand point it could be inferred that you do not trust the citizens of our fair city to make a sound judgement and vote a candidate worthy of the post or office they look to hold.

We might be in a catch 22 here. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

I am not going to argue with you on your point because you are using the "what if" factor. I can't argue on what if because we just don't know.

That said, if the next city councilmember or mayor is a convicted felon then we as a city is very desperate for leadership. I am sure there are citizens who followed the law, never harmed their fellow man and stayed on the straight and narrow who are ready to lead but the city's future rest with its criminal base. I don't think so.

Buy American Guest

The Police Department does not take people who have felony records to train to become police officers. This policy should apply in every City office, for every appointee, and every elected official as well. Also, the Police Department is having a very difficult time finding recruits who live within the City limits to become officers because of their felony record.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    The Police Department does not take people who have felony records to train to become police officers. This policy should apply in every City office, for every appointee, and every elected official as well. Also, the Police Department is having a very difficult time finding recruits who live within the City limits to become officers because of their felony record.

What if the record was expunged?

What if the record was expunged?
    Then that person would be just fine, but murder is never expunged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2