Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

We are not there, just yet - simmer down now

https://vimeo.com/70470936

I just want to say - shesh - don't be like my old cousins, barking about roundabouts. Bikes are good for people and the environment. I hope the bike riders are safe. But you need to watch out for them just like anything else.

There is a serious problem on East Jefferson in both directions from Conner to St. Jean. Almost the entire length is fenced at the sidewalk on both sides of the street. There are very few pedestrians. This section is a speed demon terror zone. If you drive 35-40 you get honked at and/or tailgated. I will concede that the new bike lanes have finally slowed down this section of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    I just want to say - shesh - don't be like my old cousins, barking about roundabouts. Bikes are good for people and the environment. I hope the bike riders are safe. But you need to watch out for them just like anything else.
    Exactly.

People expect everything around here to remain just like it always has been. I don’t ride bikes for anything more than pleasure but what the idea hopefully will evolve into is pretty obvious. To change Jefferson and other streets from being treated like a interstate through nowhere land. Been there done that, it is a economic failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Exactly.

People expect everything around here to remain just like it always has been. I don’t ride bikes for anything more than pleasure but what the idea hopefully will evolve into is pretty obvious. To change Jefferson and other streets from being treated like a interstate through nowhere land. Been there done that, it is a economic failure.

I guess that's why you chose to live in Auburn Hills. Your neighborhood's not effected so what me worry? It's so easy to resolve other peoples problems on the internet.

Been there done that, it is a economic failure.
    Not in the past. Jefferson was a thriving commercial thoroughfare when I was a kid in the 1950s and into the 1960s. Guess what year it started going down the drain?

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Not in the past. Jefferson was a thriving commercial thoroughfare when I was a kid in the 1950s and into the 1960s. Guess what year it started going down the drain?
    Your kinda proving my point. The 1950s are not going to come back EVER no matter how bad the old timers want them to.

Things change. They always do and they never stop changing. Doing what worked half a century + ago and expecting the same results is disastrous. How this state hasn’t figured that out yet is simply mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Your kinda proving my point. The 1950s are not going to come back EVER no matter how bad the old timers want them to.

Things change. They always do and they never stop changing. Doing what worked half a century + ago and expecting the same results is disastrous. How this state hasn’t figured that out yet is simply mind boggling.

Oakland County seems to be doing the same things over and over, yet they're prosperous, populated, and their roads aren't full of obstructions for the residents trying to get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Oakland County seems to be doing the same things over and over, yet they're prosperous, populated, and their roads aren't full of obstructions for the residents trying to get to work.
    No, just full of pot holes.

Doesn't Jefferson need to be repaved? Why install bike lanes first then have to reinstall if or when Jefferson is resurfaced?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Doesn't Jefferson need to be repaved? Why install bike lanes first then have to reinstall if or when Jefferson is resurfaced?

The City repaved just the bike lanes last Fall so we're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No, just full of pot holes.

Detroit's streets and roads have some issues that need attention too. I dodge potholes and fills every day.

The City repaved just the bike lanes last Fall so we're good to go.
    The ~3' of paving done in "most" parts of the bike lane has not helped the issue. There is a rough seam that runs between the old and new paving that falls right in the bike lane, which I suspect stems from poor planning.

Today was a doozy riding down Jefferson. Heavy delays. I had time to watch the Jeep plant workers spring over into the bike lane to drive ahead and get to their gate to make work on time. Yes, countless cars were driving in the bike lanes.

Good thing they didn't have to worry about hitting anybody. I counted zero bikers on the entire stretch of Jefferson from Alter to I-75 today. Maybe we'll just have to wait for the weather to turn for the better before the myriad bikers come out and utilize the paths.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    The ~3' of paving done in "most" parts of the bike lane has not helped the issue. There is a rough seam that runs between the old and new paving that falls right in the bike lane, which I suspect stems from poor planning.

Today was a doozy riding down Jefferson. Heavy delays. I had time to watch the Jeep plant workers spring over into the bike lane to drive ahead and get to their gate to make work on time. Yes, countless cars were driving in the bike lanes.

Good thing they didn't have to worry about hitting anybody. I counted zero bikers on the entire stretch of Jefferson from Alter to I-75 today. Maybe we'll just have to wait for the weather to turn for the better before the myriad bikers come out and utilize the paths.

All you have to do is wait until the weekend, then scores of bikers from the 'burbs will be out "on their way to work" plugging up access to Jefferson.

Name:  297-1.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  49.7 KB

All of this whining is pretty amusing.

Yeah, the whole thing's hysterical...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-08-18 at 09:28 AM.

Better weather - wtf !!
    It hasn't rained in days, it's 65 - 70 degrees in the morning, clear skies.
    Maybe it makes it up to 75 - 80 degrees during the day lately
    Damn near PERFECT weather for being on a bike.

No one ""likes"" bicycling in 95 to 100 degree F heat on asphalt that is raging around 120 - 130 F and becoming sticky/goey/ooozy

Be happy all those senior citizens in Warren just sit on their patio and don't have cargo bikes at Eastern Market getting vegetables.

https://yubabikes.com/wp-content/upl...nBike-Side.png
    Last edited by O3H; June-08-18 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Better weather - wtf !!
    It hasn't rained in days, it's 65 - 70 degrees in the morning, clear skies.
    Maybe it makes it up to 75 - 80 degrees during the day lately
    Damn near PERFECT weather for being on a bike.

No one ""likes"" bicycling in 95 to 100 degree F heat on asphalt that is raging around 120 - 130 F and becoming sticky/goey/ooozy

Be happy all those senior citizens in Warren just sit on their patio and don't have cargo bikes at Eastern Market getting vegetables.

https://yubabikes.com/wp-content/upl...nBike-Side.png

It was sarcasm. You missed it, no worries though.

At least after learning all about "Induced Demand" here on DYes, I can relish in the fact that soon enough there will be bicyclists from here to the moon on our newest mass transit installation.

Odd thought of the day: Will the slow roll utilize the newly minted bike lanes? Gosh, it'd be a shame if.......

The slow roll never met a traffic regulation it didn't ignore.

My favorite - 257.660b Operation of bicycle upon highway or street; riding more than 2 abreast.
    Sec. 660b.Two or more individuals operating bicycles upon a highway or street shall not ride more
    than 2 abreast except upon a path or portion of the highway or street set aside for the use
    of bicycles.

Soon we'll see these - on Detroit streets -

https://youtu.be/LSZPNwZex9s

Soon we'll see these - on Detroit streets -

https://youtu.be/LSZPNwZex9s
    Okay, at 0:45 when he tries to knock the stopped, balanced bike sideways and the bike rights itself: how is that done? Inertia wheels? Where are they? In those fat tubes of the frame?

That's freaky.

As someone who frequently bikes to and from work utilizing the protected lanes on Cass I think this is a big step in the right direction! With the growing popularity of the East side neighborhoods close to the river I can certainly see the demand for these growing. If I lived in West Village and worked Downtown I would be utilizing these lanes every time the weather was nice enough to ride my commute.

You also need to look at these kind of developments as helping with the downtown parking situation. Quicken already buses thousands of their workers to lots outside of the CBD. Creating a more bike friendly city will alleviate some of the demand for downtown parking.

I like sarcasm and humor - for those that missed it -
    the self driving/moving bike is a myth, a hoax, but it's damn funny

For those hardcore street cyclists - [[not pc or kid friendly)
    https://youtu.be/hgCqz3l33kU

The respect thing has to go both ways, drivers/cyclists do good stuff,
    and a few bad apples do some atrociously nasty stuff on the streets.
    Surely some middle ground can be found. Insurance rates are WEIRD
    Last edited by O3H; June-09-18 at 04:00 PM.

I like sarcasm and humor - for those that missed it -
    the self driving/moving bike is a myth, a hoax, but it's damn funny....
    Okay, they got me. April Fools!

The making of... Introducing the self-driving bicycle in the Netherlands

Great post! Yeah, screw those suburbanites and their cars! You have your $35 "Detroit vs. Everybody" t-shirt on. Have you given any thought to the thousands of "Detroiters" that live in that area? That need to get to work, on time, so they can make a living and that actually pay their taxes? That they too want to drive to Ho' Foods and other stores and restaurants and spend their money? How about the firetrucks, ambulances, police cars, delivery trucks, utility vehicles, motorcycles, etc. that also use Jefferson Ave constantly? How about Detroiters that are incapacitated, or are senior citizens, and can't peddle the latest bicycle, and rely on vehicles, transports or other Detroiters to take them to where they need to go? How about the thousands of suburban bicyclists that PAY someone to go on "rides" in Detroit, and clog the streets, is it Ok for them to congest Jefferson Ave., while Detroit taxpayers sit and wait @ lights for them to pass, is that Ok with you? Probably haven't given that much thought, have you? Make sure you look both ways when crossing intersections, and don't forget to ring your bell.

Lotsalaffta.

How about’ how about?

I can’t tell if you are on a mission to self-parody or if your archiebunka prescription has dried out. Either way, have you thought about how anally retentive you are about something as benign as cycling.

Maybe next time take potshots at re-cycling. There you go.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast