Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

^^^Thank goodness-the galloping train of 'justification' was coming off the rails!

John Conyers has retired from congress!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ent/922417001/

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...gan/904737001/
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-06-17 at 06:17 PM.

After watching the rally of his defenders, I'm left wondering why so many people think that guys like Conyers who did great things as part of the Civil Rights movement must also somehow be Saints who are above reproach and free of sin. Are they that naïve? Even Dr. MLK Jr. cheated on wife regularly, doesn't mean he didn't do great things, just that he was flawed like every other fallible human being.

I just don't see how Conyers being a Civil Rights icon makes him immune from sexually harassing women. Those are mutually exclusive things, they are not connected. And being a member of a marginalized minority group does NOT prohibit Conyers from indulging in male privilege when it comes to things like harassing women.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    After watching the rally of his defenders, I'm left wondering why so many people think that guys like Conyers who did great things as part of the Civil Rights movement must also somehow be Saints who are above reproach and free of sin. Are they that naïve? Even Dr. MLK Jr. cheated on wife regularly, doesn't mean he didn't do great things, just that he was flawed like every other fallible human being.

I just don't see how Conyers being a Civil Rights icon makes him immune from sexually harassing women. Those are mutually exclusive things, they are not connected. And being a member of a marginalized minority group does NOT prohibit Conyers from indulging in male privilege when it comes to things like harassing women.
    "He may be a son-of-a-bitch, but he's our son-of-a-bitch."

In politics, and in life one has to decide which battles to fight. Is battle #1 sexual harassment? Is battle #1 fighting for racial civil rights? To get things done, you build alliances. This means ignoring

Moore bad. Conyers good.

Its no different with Trump. Evangelicals despise his actions. But they'll take this extremely flawed guy who at least shares some values over someone who would be more concerned about who bakes a cake for whom.

On that subject, what I think is missing from this debate is that Mr. Phillips is not selling a commodity. Hotel rooms, restaurants, movie theatres, buying homes. All commodities. Getting a custom cake for your event? Not a commodity, and it requires a collaboration between the provider and the client that is best when intimate.

But back to our local guy, I don't mind his flaws. We have laws to deal with transgressions. Until the voters toss him out, or he's convicted -- carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    John Conyers has retired from the senate!
    I didn't even remember him getting elected to the Senate!

But seriously, it is a good thing that he is going. I do think it is the height of ego for someone leaving in scandal and disgrace [[and, rest assured, he is leaving in scandal and disgrace) to endorse anyone to replace him, let alone his son.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    But seriously, it is a good thing that he is going. I do think it is the height of ego for someone leaving in scandal and disgrace [[and, rest assured, he is leaving in scandal and disgrace) to endorse anyone to replace him, let alone his son.
    This is what happens when you hold on to power as long as you can simply for the sake of holding on, instead of bowing out gracefully when you're still on top. There's no doubt that at 88, age has slowed Conyers significantly and made him increasingly ineffective in his powerful role on the Judiciary Committee.

While part of this is the Democrats wanting to look tough on sexual harassment, another part is simply that Pelosi and the rest of the leadership wanted to shuffle Mr. Magoo out the door so they can bring in young blood that is motivated and energized.

...snip...
    While part of this is the Democrats wanting to look tough on sexual harassment, another part is simply that Pelosi and the rest of the leadership wanted to shuffle Mr. Magoo out the door so they can bring in young blood that is motivated and energized.
    Bad behavior will be found on those wearing all political stripes. The Democrats have more to fear, as they position themselves as the savior of women from white-male oppression. Republicans are only acting as expected as evil old white males.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Bad behavior will be found on those wearing all political stripes. The Democrats have more to fear, as they position themselves as the savior of women from white-male oppression. Republicans are only acting as expected as evil old white males.
    Democrats pressure their bad apples to resign, Republican rally around theirs and defend/support them. Conyers resigned, Franken will resign today, meanwhile in Alabama, Republicans are about to elect a child molester to the Senate. And we haven't even gotten to President PussyGrabber yet with the 13 women who have accused him of sexual misconduct.

Yes, both parties have the same problem with sexual harassment, but don't equate how both parties have responded to that problem. I'm sure female voters won't notice the difference in how the Democratic and Republican parties treat their respective sex predators come election day 2018.

Nope, no side's particularly pure ala actions, reactions or defenses on this one.

IMO in some cases the dems as well as the repubs circle-the-wagons in defense of their own. Certainly with Conyers. For example Pelosi did a quick-turn in two days owing to her constituents no doubt! For sure she didn't want to be a look-a-like [[as we saw in some cases with even feminists) ala defense of Bill Clinton. A scenario were fewer accusers were taken at their word!

Detroiter's circled-the-wagons full-out in strong defense of John Conyers. I carrying the water for no politician; it is what it is.

Especially now that we're entering J'accuse-J'accuse [[I Accuse You!) politics, de rigueur. That's the bigger issue BEYOND PARTISAN chest-beating, or bleating.

And for certain no need for anyone to take pleasure in the undoings, lest it come your way next! This whole thing beyond politics is going to have both positive and negative ramifications in the work place, etc.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-08-17 at 08:10 AM.

Democrats pressure their bad apples to resign, Republican rally around theirs and defend/support them. Conyers resigned, Franken will resign today, meanwhile in Alabama, Republicans are about to elect a child molester to the Senate. And we haven't even gotten to President PussyGrabber yet with the 13 women who have accused him of sexual misconduct.

Yes, both parties have the same problem with sexual harassment, but don't equate how both parties have responded to that problem. I'm sure female voters won't notice the difference in how the Democratic and Republican parties treat their respective sex predators come election day 2018.
    Being closer to the red camp than you, I don't see such clear principled actions from the blues. Democrats seem to have ignored Franken/Conyers as much as possible. And from my red chair the Republicans seem to have mostly stayed quiet. Maybe they're rather not see Franken/Conyers pay a price... and the voters then believe that Moore should pay a price as well.

Rather than a partisan difference here, I see a difference in motivation. The blues have nothing at stake in Frankenland/Conyerville. The replacements will be deep blue. Mooretown has stakes for the reds.

I'd wait to judge just how honorable everyone is until we see what happens when the Senate is 51/49 and the swing is a certified creep [[not a true pedophile where there's little choice).

So to provide a Detroit angle here, does anyone think its possible for Kilpatrick to have not serially grabbed and harassed?

As for the Dems, they are making the right move in cleaning house and seizing the moral high ground on this issue. This finally gives them the opportunity to remove the onus of Bill Clinton with denouncements of his bad behavior by the likes of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

Republican will continue to be hobbled by their President and, barring an unlikely upset, Roy Moore.

It's simply untrue that Franken's seat is a sure thing for democrats. It was held by a republican before Franken and Franken won his seat in a historically close election that required a recount.

I don't care what your politics are, Roy Moore is a sociopath who has preyed upon girls for decades.

Did you not see the Conyers "Legion of Doom" rally at the church a few days ago? It was like gathering of Detroit's most diabolical political/religious/activist/hanger on figures.

Argh... Congress I meant. Yikes--I corrected that post! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I didn't even remember him getting elected to the Senate!