Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The Confederate States of America had a total population of 9.1 million people, of which 3.5 million were slaves and 5.6 million were "free." NOT "27 million" as you falsely claim. So that would be 6% of the free population that owned slaves, but more accurately if you look at families, 1 in 3 families owned slaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confed...a#Demographics

You know when you lie, we can fact check that, right?
    Oops. my bad.

Used bad data.

Here's a census from 1 year before the start of the Civil War.

Shows about 12,236,500 total population in those states,.. of which about 3,948,000 were slaves. Or 32% of the total population were slaves.

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/1860_census.html

You're right, intent is a big deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ational-anthem

Nothing in there about trying to "disrespect the entire country." And indeed, not everyone in America sees it the way you do either. Here's some people who support Kap's protest who have done more than you to deserve the right to hold that opinion:
    Has he explained what it is that makes him think that?

The data showing the likelihood that a cop will blow away an innocent white or Hispanic is about the same as the likelihood that a cop will blow away an innocent black person. Those just rarely make the news,.. because it's not divisive.

Much of the data suggests that cops are LESS likely to shoot a black suspect. [[Because of the death threats, riots etc that happen when a black suspect is shot. Those same things don't happen when a Chinese or a white get smoked). No one burned down a city when Justine Ruszczyk got killed in Minneapolis.

Of course when a cop shoots an innocent, it is more egregious than when a civilian does it. While it's true that the victims in both situations are equally wounded or dead,.. the police are our servants,... paid BY US to protect and serve US. So when one of our paid servants goes off program and shoots us,.. then cashes our paycheck,.. it hurts all that much more.

But then we have to consider that only 0.6% of blacks are killed by cops. Some 97% of them that die violently are killed by other blacks. So if an activists rails against the cops,.. and doesn't spend at least what? perhaps 80% of their time railing against violent blacks and absent black fathers,.... are they racists? Can we take them seriously when they "seem" to have a massive problem with 0.6% of the deaths and rarely if ever mention the 97%?

Does Kapernick spend the majority of his time in interviews asking black fathers to do the right thing and not abandon their children? And plead for black youth to remain in school instead of joining gangs?
    Last edited by Bigdd; September-08-17 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Census data shows that 394,000 people owned slaves pre-Civil War,.. out of a free population of 27,233,000. So about 1.5% of people owned slaves.

And roughly 0% of the people in the South that fly the Confederate flag today do.

So YOU think that when a Southern person flys a Confederate flag,.. they are wishing for the return of slavery? I find that had to believe.
    You're missing the point here. The point is that when people fly a Confederate flag, it's offensive and has meaning behind it. It doesn't mean people want to own slaves, it means people have no problem being racists or racist sympathizers. That's the issue here.

And by the way Trumper, going after Clinton is very Trump-ish. Stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't believe a word you write. You've been outspoken in your cultist devotion to Trump, and have repeatedly defended his Neo-Nazi sympathies, his virulent racism, and general stupidity and incompetence.

Now you claim to be some paragon of civil rights, while simultaneously trying to normalize and excuse Neo Nazis and white supremacists. Don't believe it for a second.
    I realize that you're still having serious emotional problems that began last November. But to tell bald faced lies about me and project your irrational hatred and fantasies onto me is a new low, even for you.

I truly feel sorry for you.

Ummmm, you can't sell the whole "it's my heritage" argument when you're waving the Confederate flag in Michigan.

You guys know which side of the Civil War Michigan fought on, right? Kid Rock, born and raised in Romeo Michigan, but yeah he's just celebrating his "heritage." The only "heritage" Kid Rock has in common with the soldiers of the Confederacy is skin color.

Also here's a little history lesson: 15,000 Michigan soldiers died during the Civil War, fighting the Confederacy. There's your heritage, right there. But keep on defending the flag of the traitors they died fighting.
    Me? I just don't judge people so harshly on weak associations. Better to give people the benefit of the doubt -- rather than assume the worst.

Every person who sports a Che Guevara t-shirt supports murdering blacks & gays, imprisoning artists and beating up women, right? Just because he did those things. Ah, the Left is so intellectually consistent...

Wondering about Lincoln's constitutional reasons for preserving the Union, I found this: "it was "to form a more perfect Union" that the Constitution was written in 1787. For a state, or several states, to leave it would make it less perfect than before the Constitution, and that could not be allowed. It was his duty, he explained, to carry out the orders laid down for him by the Constitution that framed the Union.Getting specific, Lincoln said he would use his constitutional power to "hold, occupy, and possess the property and places belonging to the government."" - https://www.whitehousehistory.org/te...cause-of-union

The Che preference is a real divider. Those who endorse him say those on the other side or brain-washed or right wingers. I just don't even argue about it any more. Forget about it........

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Every person who sports a Che Guevara t-shirt supports murdering blacks & gays, imprisoning artists and beating up women, right? Just because he did those things. Ah, the Left is so intellectually consistent...

Looks like Kid Rock's facebook page has a picture of him with a confederate stamp of approval on the picture and then it reads something like "If you get offended easily this page isn't for you snowflakes." Corny stuff from a corny fake "musician"

Putting aside the fact that no prominent American politician on the Left is a follower of Che Guevara, this is an outright lie. Obviously you heard this on Breitbart or some other nonsense "news" source. Che, for all his faults, was a civil rights icon and was not "murdering blacks and gays".

And "whataboutism" is the last resort of those without an argument. If your only talking point is "what about the other side" then you have no point.
    Last edited by Bham1982; September-11-17 at 10:34 AM.

You know what doesn't make sense? Kid Rock talks down to Kaepernick for disrespecting the flag by kneeling for the National Anthem, yet he promotes the Confederate Flag and wears the American Flag? Tell me that's not the same disrespect?

For all the talk of Che Guevara t-shirts, not once in my entire life have I ever seen anyone actually wearing one in public. And I live in Ann Arbor. Are Che shirts a common sight where you live? Just flying off the shelves, are they?

Do you think it's even remotely close to the frequency of say, seeing a white man displaying the Confederate flag motif in some form or fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    You know what doesn't make sense? Kid Rock talks down to Kaepernick for disrespecting the flag by kneeling for the National Anthem, yet he promotes the Confederate Flag and wears the American Flag? Tell me that's not the same disrespect?
    Since we're celebrating bad guys who lost their wars, I think we should build statues of Voldemort and Sauron. I'm just honoring my magical and Middle-Earth heritages!
    Last edited by aj3647; September-11-17 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Kid Rock is white and stupid and therefore a "real American".

Kaepernick is half-black and at least somewhat thoughtful and therefore a commie infiltrator, illegal immigrant or Muslim radical, undoubtedly...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Putting aside the fact that no prominent American politician on the Left is a follower of Che Guevara, this is an outright lie. Obviously you heard this on Breitbart or some other nonsense "news" source. Che, for all his faults, was a civil rights icon and was not "murdering blacks and gays".

And "whataboutism" is the last resort of those without an argument. If your only talking point is "what about the other side" then you have no point.
    whataboutism is fair to criticize. You, however, have deflected the fair criticism that the left is intolerant, and only sees the sins of the other. Was just reading about how George Bernard Shaw remained an apologist for Stalin to the end. Blind devotion.

Ham, what you might consider here is that Kaepernick is far from a hero here. And Kid Rock is far from racist. Me, I'd take Kid's perhaps naive and self-serving celebration of red-neck culture over Colin's self-serving criticism of America.

For all our flaws, we remain a great country. Arguably the best. Certainly among the best.

Misguided celebration vs. misguided criticism? You pick.

Since we're celebrating bad guys who lost their wars, I think we should build statues of Voldemort and Sauron. I'm just honoring my magical and Middle-Earth heritages!
    ...............LMAO

Has he explained what it is that makes him think that?
    YES. He's explained this in great detail on many occasions.

See, this is the problem. You hate Kaepernick, you think he hates America, but not once have you bothered to actually listen what he has to say. Not once. You didn't bother to hear his side of the story because you simply do not give a crap what his side of the story is. You saw a black man kneeling during the anthem and you built the narrative around it that best suited your own personal political beliefs and biases, facts be damned.

The data showing the likelihood that a cop will blow away an innocent white or Hispanic is about the same as the likelihood that a cop will blow away an innocent black person. Those just rarely make the news,.. because it's not divisive.

Much of the data suggests that cops are LESS likely to shoot a black suspect. [[Because of the death threats, riots etc that happen when a black suspect is shot. Those same things don't happen when a Chinese or a white get smoked). No one burned down a city when Justine Ruszczyk got killed in Minneapolis.
    Well I guess we'll just have to take your word for what the "data" shows, since you didn't feel the need to provide any actual numbers or sources for anyone to fact-check.

Cops are LESS likely to shoot a black suspect? False. Blacks are 2.5 times more likely to be shot by a police officer than a white person.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eee873faef37

Well, you may say, that's because blacks are more likely to be carrying a gun illegally! If blacks would stop carrying illegal guns and committing crimes, they wouldn't get shot by the police! Well, again, not quite the case.

unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer
    Weird, huh? Why would unarmed black people be shot by the police at a rate five times higher than unarmed white people?

And finally, I would say that just looking at fatal police shootings is not the end-all, be-all metric for measuring whether black people are disproportionally targeted or oppressed by the police. What about nonfatal shootings? What about rates of using less-than-lethal force against suspects [[tasers, pepper spray, batons)? What about rates of things like stop-and-frisk? Do these things not count?

Bigdd and Zads07 are both partially correct when it comes to Kaepernick.

Kaepernick's heart is in the right place, but the way in which he expressed his feelings was just plain stupid.

He's reaping what he sowed in response, just as anyone else would in the real world who's not famous and worth millions of dollars.

The way in which he expressed it was stupid? Curious, do you think we would still be discussing him and his stance if he just sent out a press release or did an interview? This is the point of protest and what he's done has sparked a lot of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The way in which he expressed it was stupid? Curious, do you think we would still be discussing him and his stance if he just sent out a press release or did an interview? This is the point of protest and what he's done has sparked a lot of conversation.
    Getting beyond the fact that he was basically sticking his thumb up the nose of the country that has afforded him the cushy life he now has [[and the upbringing he received), how does kneeling / sitting during the national anthem actually solve the issues he brought up?
    Last edited by 313WX; September-11-17 at 04:51 PM.

To add, his militant midget girlfriend is the X factor in all of this. She's the same one who completely shot any chance of a team picking him up with the controversial photo she posted recently.

Until she came along, he was not engaging in this type of stuff.

Just to clarify, I completely support Kaepernick and what he did. It was a great platform because if he had chosen the wrong platform, we wouldn't be discussing it. Now, I don't like that anyone kneels or sits for the Anthem, but if they have a just cause in doing it, I'm all for it.

My statement was more along the lines of how can Kid Rock call out Kaepernick for disrespecting the flag yet he does it himself by wearing Confederate garb and the actual American Flag, which is illegal. It's hypocritical of him to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Getting beyond the fact that he was basically sticking his thumb up the nose of the country that has afforded him the cushy life he now has [[and the upbringing he received), how does kneeling / sitting during the national anthem actually solve the issues he brought up?
    What does a march do? What does raising your fist in the air after winning a gold medal do? Creating a dialogue is part of any movement.

Actually his athletic ability and our collective worship of athletes afforded him a cushy lifestyle. You might have a point if he was a product of our education system or was the benefactor of a social program that lifted him up to success, but he is an incredibly gifted athlete and that is why he is a millionaire. The second he couldn't be counted on to please the masses he was discarded. That is the country he lives in, the same one where Michael Bennett was targeted in Las Vegas because he was a big black man, nothing more.

His protest also came with statements, statements which clearly explained why he was taking a knee. If you refuse to acknowledge that part of it it is your prerogative, but that doesn't make it right.

What does a march do? What does raising your fist in the air after winning a gold medal do? Creating a dialogue is part of any movement.

Actually his athletic ability and our collective worship of athletes afforded him a cushy lifestyle. You might have a point if he was a product of our education system or was the benefactor of a social program that lifted him up to success, but he is an incredibly gifted athlete and that is why he is a millionaire. The second he couldn't be counted on to please the masses he was discarded. That is the country he lives in, the same one where Michael Bennett was targeted in Las Vegas because he was a big black man, nothing more.

His protest also came with statements, statements which clearly explained why he was taking a knee. If you refuse to acknowledge that part of it it is your prerogative, but that doesn't make it right.
    To repeat, I support the feelings he expressed, just not how he expressed him. There were plenty of ways he could have protested police brutality without seemingly expressing hatred for the country that has made him who he is today and insulting others who fought for said country as well as call said country home.

Furthermore, we all know about the social injustices black people face and we can have open dialogues all day [[we've been doing so for decades). What I want to see is someone taking steps to actually fix these issues. The most I've seen him do that was somewhat worthwhile is donate $1 million dollars to a bunch of random charities [[a pittance compared to what other celebrities of all races have contributed towards fighting against the issue he's protesting). I haven't seen him take to the streets and face the prospect of a criminal record and jail time like the Black Lives Matter protesters. I haven't heard him speak out about the Flint Water Crisis, or the fact that his brothers and sisters are currently suffering in the wake of Hurricane Harvey down in Houston.

Instead' it's become all about poor Colin Kaepernick being the victim of racist white owners in the NFL in an effort to distract from his mediocre skills on the field. But if he's happy being unemployed and easily manipulated by an attention-seeking leech [[who BTW, isn't African American herself), then more power to him.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-11-17 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To repeat, I support the feelings he expressed, just not how he expressed him. There were plenty of ways he could have protested police brutality without seemingly expressing hatred for the country that has made him who he is today and insulting others who fought for said country as well as call said country home.

Furthermore, we all know about the social injustices black people face and we can have open dialogues all day [[we've been doing so for decades). What I want to see is someone taking steps to actually fix these issues. The most I've seen him do that was somewhat worthwhile is donate $1 million dollars to a bunch of random charities [[a pittance compared to what other celebrities of all races have contributed towards fighting against the issue he's protesting). I haven't seen him take to the streets and face the prospect of a criminal record and jail time like the Black Lives Matter protesters. I haven't heard him speak out about the Flint Water Crisis, or the fact that his brothers and sisters are currently suffering in the wake of Hurricane Harvey down in Houston.

Instead' it's become all about poor Colin Kaepernick being the victim of racist white owners in the NFL in an effort to distract from his mediocre skills on the field. But if he's happy being unemployed and easily manipulated by an attention-seeking leech [[who BTW, isn't African American herself), then more power to him.
    So in the same breath you are going to say that he needs to show respect for the country that made him wealthy all the while acknowledging that this country has some serious race issues that he has no doubt faced in his life? Systemic racism exists but stand for the country that allows the systems to exist? Ok, dude.

Oh, so him having a foundation and doing work for the community means nothing to you. That apparently isn't enough because he isn't marching. He is also unemployed right now, something you implied he deserves, and he donated $1 million for the cause he believes in. But hey, other employed celebrities have donated more so he is a bum. For the record, him getting arrested would draw the same amount of ire and racist commentary as him kneeling for the anthem. He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I think we can both objectively look at the QBs currently employed in the NFL and know that it isn't his play that is keeping him from being employed. All you need to do is look at his stats from last year while being on a terrible team. He is being blackballed for what he represents.

I don't understand your obsession with his girlfriend but the name calling and tone in which you refer to her comes off as mildly sexist. He is a man and he is clearly standing by HIS decisions. Some "midget leech" didn't force him to do anything.

I don't understand your obsession with his girlfriend but the name calling and tone in which you refer to her...
    It's very much deserved. She's not a good person.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08...and-ray-lewis/

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/20...ith-john-wall/

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast