Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

so how long have they been getting ready to sell the fairgrounds?
    whats next on the plate?

does this mean fed bankruptcy is coming or not?

So, I just looked at the plan again and noticed that there is a train station part of this plan...does this officially confirm that there will be a second Mitrain line on the old Grand Trunk Western up into Oakland County? Or will this be another Amtrak station?

I think Bruce Babiarz played it right holding up the blank sheet, to avoid all the pessimistic backlash found here. Don't make this the DetroitNO forum. Anyone who is serious about investing in Detroit should be given a chance. I can see why it takes up to two years to get a site plan approved.

Sorry, my memory is shot so could someone tell me if Magic Johnson ever actually built anything around here? Seems like I've been hearing about the "Magic Johnson Theatres" or whatever for a long time around here, yet after the fawning "buzz" I don't recall anything ever being built. This seems like it comes up at least as often as someones latest lame brain, completely unrealistic proposal to turn the Packard Plant into the next Sea World.

My apologies if I'm wrong but has he ever even shown up here or is this just someone using his name to float their latest "proposal" to see what kind of land grants, Michigan Housing Authority, tax breaks, etc. they can wrangle while not actually accomplishing anything?

It's time to put up or shut up, though I do hope they build something.

Again, my apologies if I'm way off base!

Detroit only has two movie theatres that shows movies. The one in the RenCen is rumoured to close in the near future; the other one is next to the Bel Air shopping center. We need a entertainment complex that has a movie theatre in it and maybe a NBA store

Quote Originally Posted by BMan View Post
    I think Bruce Babiarz played it right holding up the blank sheet, to avoid all the pessimistic backlash found here. Don't make this the DetroitNO forum. Anyone who is serious about investing in Detroit should be given a chance. I can see why it takes up to two years to get a site plan approved.
    In all fairness this is a large project and two years to go through the impact and planning would not be uncommon.

Because of the impact and the line between the developers need or wants to maximize profits are not always in the best interests of the public good at large so it is the cities and residents responsibility to make sure everything flows and come to happy medium.

It is going to take massive infrastructure upgrades to power this project,in the millions,who is covering that part?

When are these "developers" going to figure out that there is no future in building the suburbs in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I'm guessing because it's been sitting there for a few years now and besides the Meijer development, nobody has put in serious offers on the land.

My take, the city wins, as it's getting rid of unused land to a development team in Magic Johnson, a very successful businessman and developer in his own right, who has a plan for utilizing the entire site, not just a small portion of it. Plus you have the homegrown element of Magic working in the city of Detroit. I'm just looking at it as an increase in the tax base, and more development.
    I know you're not naïve enough to really think Ervin 'Magic' Johnson actually is the money behind this development. He is a local hero, and THAT is why he is the 'paid' spokesperson. When he played in the NBA [[quite a few years ago) they didn't make that kind of money. Do you think Detroit or the State of Michigan would hop on this development, with land giveaways, if say....Lamar Odom or the like, were to come forward with their proposals. Magic tried to buy the Pistons. Betcha' it was another consortium of businessmen just utilizing his name, his popularity to get 'In'. He's merely an 'entity for hire'. Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing for him to do...a little dishonest maybe, but certainly not worthy of too much distain. Man's gotta make a living. But don't for one minute paint him as a local hero...that would be naïve. My point of view is.....I always thought the State Fair was there for the very reason, to give inner City folk, especially children, to experience the rural life, through the farm animals, their presentations and the contests taking place to illustrate the good clean competitive atmosphere of that life....the farm life. A lot [[if not most) of these folk would not otherwise have the opportunity to witness the wonders of the farm, the ranch, the tractors, and wagons, and all the different animals. The countless array of chickens, and ducks, and sheep, and cows. The horses...the beautiful horses....and the riding. How about the 'Miracle Of Life' area ? For these City folk to witness an actual 'live birth'. I had a friend once, a long time ago, who lived in Detroit, who had NEVER left the city, had never gone out into the country, never seen a farm or farm animal, until I took him to the State Fair. He was so geeked....you would have cried your eyes out, like I did, feeling the anguish that generations of Detroiters hadn't had this opportunity. It's just not a priority in some lives. With the demise of the Michigan State Fair...in Detroit....they've taken away the chance for so many people to experience this Fair, and moved it to a place where most see it on a daily basis....and are tearing down and replacing the grand old Fairgrounds with throw away housing, out of place corporate retail outlets, and newly named streets paved in the tears of the ghosts of millions of Fairgoers past. Destroyed by neglect, abandoned by Lansing, with the Butter Cow collecting the dust of the cranes and bulldozers of the future. A future made just a little less thrilling, a little less informing. Welcome home Magic.

JohnnyFreddy, I can accept your lament over the loss of the State Fair, but don't blame Magic Johnson for its demise. Governor Granholm put an end to its funding, not Magic. One thing that people should appreciate is that Magic's group appears to be saving many of the historic structures of the site, if you look at the preliminary site plans. That to me is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    I know you're not naïve enough to really think Ervin 'Magic' Johnson actually is the money behind this development. He is a local hero, and THAT is why he is the 'paid' spokesperson. When he played in the NBA [[quite a few years ago) they didn't make that kind of money. Do you think Detroit or the State of Michigan would hop on this development, with land giveaways, if say....Lamar Odom or the like, were to come forward with their proposals. Magic tried to buy the Pistons. Betcha' it was another consortium of businessmen just utilizing his name, his popularity to get 'In'. He's merely an 'entity for hire'. Now I'm not saying this is a bad thing for him to do...a little dishonest maybe, but certainly not worthy of too much distain. Man's gotta make a living.
    I can understand your lament about the State Fair... but Magic Johnson is worth about 1/2 billion dollars... so he's waaaaaaaay more than just a spokesman or a smiley face....

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...son-net-worth/

"One thing that people should appreciate is that Magic's group appears to be saving many of the historic structures of the site, if you look at the preliminary site plans. That to me is a good thing."

Those will last about as along as a vacant building in the path of Demolition Geo. Jackson, which is to say "not long". Any agreements to save or restore the buildings? No? Then they're as good as done.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ward/23327537/

No new drawings [[yet), but Magic's development team is looking at prospective tenants for retail, including Whole Foods, and has named McCormack Baron Salazar for the development of the apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ward/23327537/

No new drawings [[yet), but Magic's development team is looking at prospective tenants for retail, including Whole Foods, and has named McCormack Baron Salazar for the development of the apartments.
    Couple of points:

1). This seems 100% consistent to what many here have said: The revitalization of Detroit will happen [[is happening) first in downtown and midtown and then move out [[has moved out) to the neighborhoods [[as it has in recent years) which have the most potential. The article also mentions a NW Detroit site.

2). Was that site chosen because it is very big and easy to develop, and have a good location convenient for folks both within and outside of Detroit?

As we know from the arena site acquisition, acquiring desirable large parcels of land in the 'right' location isn't easy. The developers got 157 acres of contiguous land? Pretty impressive.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-13-15 at 09:10 AM.

I mean, your second question answers itself. The state had a huge site it was trying to unload next to the intersection of two major urban highways [[Woodward and 8 Mile) a major public transit transfer spot [[DDOT & SMART). This is a no-brainer from the point of a developer. It became even more attractive when they the adjacent Gateway project proved a success a success.

Maybe Majic and his group will buy the Pistons from Gores and move the team close to downtown like the former Joe Muers spot or the fairgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I mean, your second question answers itself. The state had a huge site it was trying to unload next to the intersection of two major urban highways [[Woodward and 8 Mile) a major public transit transfer spot [[DDOT & SMART). This is a no-brainer from the point of a developer. It became even more attractive when they the adjacent Gateway project proved a success a success.
    Yep, the 2nd question was pretty obvious. For the reasons you indicated.

If the Ilitches didn't care where their arena was located [[i.e., not married to a downtown/midtown location) the fair grounds would certainly met the requirements for a NHL arena site.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Maybe Magic and his group will buy the Pistons from Gores and move the team close to downtown like the former Joe Muers spot or the fairgrounds
    Ah. Are the Guggenheims interested in another sports team?
    Anyway, I hope some development takes place sometime this year. No more time to wait.
    Side note- another Whole Foods? Obviously no deal has signed yet, and I'm not offended at the idea, but I'd figure the corporation would wait a few more years before going ahead with another outlet in the city. At the very least, it could/would let the midtown outlet have some more time to maintain its momentum without [[presumably) the overlap from another location a short trip away.

If a movie theater is built, I wonder what effect, if any, it will have on the Bel-Air Plaza theater which is still holding on? Indeed, that entire strip mall is almost empty, except for Forman Mills and a handful of shops including a flea market located in the former Target area.

I know you're not naïve enough to really think Ervin 'Magic' Johnson actually is the money behind this development. He is a local hero, and THAT is why he is the 'paid' spokesperson.
    Hard to believe that someone actually posted this stupidity here.

Regarding Whole Foods, it's not that unusual for their stores to be several miles apart. In fact, a quick google search shows that many cities have some that are only a couple of miles apart. Don't forget that WF, isn't really that big of a store. It's way more of a neighborhood market than something more far reaching like a Meijers or a Kroger.

A Whole Foods up that way wouldn't seem "close" to me, at all. I'm sure there might be some overlap, but it wouldn't be significant. This would pull from a few miles into Detroit to everything in the more urban sections of lower Oakland and Macomb counties given the location.

I'd like to see a Trader Joes there but there's already one up on Woodward near 12. Oh well...

I think it's also worth noting that they've already shown interest in opening other stores in Detroit:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...roit/15822907/

Quote Originally Posted by catalogofoddities View Post
    I think it's also worth noting that they've already shown interest in opening other stores in Detroit:

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...roit/15822907/
    Why? Will taxpayers be on the hook for another $4.2m in subsidies for a second store?
    Last edited by davewindsor; February-15-15 at 07:10 PM.

I know you're not naïve enough to really think Ervin 'Magic' Johnson actually is the money behind this development. He is a local hero, and THAT is why he is the 'paid' spokesperson. When he played in the NBA [[quite a few years ago) they didn't make that kind of money.
    Possibly one of the dumbest comments ever on this forum. And that's saying a lot.

You are aware that Magic Johnson owns a business empire thats estimated worth is something close to $1 billion dollars, right? Try this thing on the internet called Google. It helps a lot.

I also find it laughable that you'd rather leave the fairgrounds in the current condition due to, what, nastolgia for cows? Yea, that makes a lot of sense. The fair moved to Novi and it ain't moving back. I guess we will just have to get used to a bustling area of housing, theatres, and retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    A Whole Foods up that way wouldn't seem "close" to me, at all. I'm sure there might be some overlap, but it wouldn't be significant. This would pull from a few miles into Detroit to everything in the more urban sections of lower Oakland and Macomb counties given the location.
    I agree with this. Royal Oak/Ferndale/Huntington Woods/Pleasant Ridge/Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest/University District have the demographics for a Whole Foods, but the nearest ones are either in Birmingham or Midtown. By locating on the fairgrounds, they can serve that population and get the good PR from "doubling down" on the City of Detroit. Probably also cheaper rent if the developers are getting the land basically for free. Right now, they probably attract people from that part of town to the Midtown store, but only for specific products, not a weekly grocery run.

My biggest concern would be the competition for Western Market in Ferndale and Holiday Market in Royal Oak, both of which are awesome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast