Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    The flip side of this is going to be the scum going in shooting before the homeowners get a chance to shoot.

Same with the driveway robberies - the scum will shoot on approach, then take what they want.
    That's no longer B&E, that's premeditated murder.

This kid turned out to be 15 years old! I have no words for the reaction of the family. The godmother wants to retaliate. What the heck was the homeowner supposed to do? Ask the kid how old he was as he came in on him?
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25...s-15-years-old

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    This kid turned out to be 15 years old! I have no words for the reaction of the family. The godmother wants to retaliate. What the heck was the homeowner supposed to do? Ask the kid how old he was as he came in on him?

I didnt hear the part about retaliation, she said she wanted justice and to get to the bottom of this...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I didnt hear the part about retaliation, she said she wanted justice and to get to the bottom of this...
    She said "we're going to get to the bottom of this....." She's obviously distraught over what happened. I didn't feel she meant retaliation either.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    She said "we're going to get to the bottom of this....." She's obviously distraught over what happened. I didn't feel she meant retaliation either.

My thoughts exactly HK. Still, this is a pretty sad, ghetto story that keeps repeating itself ad infinitum. It's a lottery, if he had managed to get out of there alive but left an injured homeowner for a victim, we might not have heard about this. Another kid with a wish list that was below expectations...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You're right. I had to look at it again. I thought she said they're going to get justice one way or another.

You're right. I had to look at it again. I thought she said they're going to get justice one way or another.
    There's a valuble lesson in these last 5 posts..... That's all I have.

I saw this on the news last night. That lady is obviously upset but she is blinded by that emotion as well. Her godson, by all accounts, was in the process of breaking into a home. The homeowner does NOT know the intention and has every right to defend himself.

I feel like justice would be the 15 year old's family paying for the homeowners home repairs and any counseling required for the trauma the homeowner has.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    ...Her godson, by all accounts, was in the process of breaking into a home. The homeowner does NOT know the intention and has every right to defend himself.
    I just watched the story - DPD states the indication is the kids were already inside the house when shot. Case closed. If you break into a home and are shot while inside... "justice" has been served.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    I just watched the story - DPD states the indication is the kids were already inside the house when shot. Case closed. If you break into a home and are shot while inside... "justice" has been served.
    Is anyone else shocked by the number of incidents? We are only discussing breakins where the intruder has been shot and killed. Imagine how many there are where the intruder is undetected or does their deed while the house is empty?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Is anyone else shocked by the number of incidents? We are only discussing breakins where the intruder has been shot and killed. Imagine how many there are where the intruder is undetected or does their deed while the house is empty?
    Most break-ins happen when the owner or renter are not home. All a thief has to do is go to the front door, knock on it, then when no one responds they break-in. What fascinates me about most of these cases is that these were not done. This tells me either the criminals are getting more stupid or more brazen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    You're right, of course, but the whole scenario sucks. It's sad and too bad. The coach sounded like he was replaying the day before in his mind too, wondering what he could've done differently? The girl was older. It's like that old Blues song about loosing your head over tail. She's alive, the kid's gone.....

Tell me even crackheads won't get the message. Now tell me how this situation would be better if the victim was unarmed, please.
    Sadly, no members of David Saul Berkley's family are alive to answer your question...& they didn't go out painlessly.

As for the guy worried that "Gun Nuts" will seize upon these statistics-your worries are certainly in strange places. This is not a new phenomena here. After we got mugged a woman @ wayne State was explaining to my mom she encountered a guy in her closet. Her husband shot him 3x. He stumbled bleeding out their door, where a co-defendant picked him up. They knew from past experiences it wasn't worth calling the cops over....and that was 1971.

^^^ Strange man in woman's closet? Perhaps he stopped by to do the dishes or change the litter box?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Strange man in woman's closet? Perhaps he stopped by to do the dishes or change the litter box?
    Or try on a few things.........?

Or perhaps more people are at home with the economy as it is. Whoever enters someones private property should expected the unexpected. The risk comes with the job description.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Most break-ins happen when the owner or renter are not home. All a thief has to do is go to the front door, knock on it, then when no one responds they break-in. What fascinates me about most of these cases is that these were not done. This tells me either the criminals are getting more stupid or more brazen.

Followed by a potential 'ballistic' clothing alternation - a bit of letting out, or a bit of tucking in, etc.

Or try on a few things.........?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Or perhaps more people are at home with the economy as it is. Whoever enters someones private property should expected the unexpected. The risk comes with the job description.
    I feel sorry for the 15 year old kid, I really do. I think he made a really bad choice. But home invasions have taken on a devil-may-care-but-everybodie's-doing-it persona. Hopefully this will make more "would-be's" think twice before they try something illegal and dangerous.

Yes, jokes aside I am not happy to see teens getting into this lifestyle as it can be deadly as we've seen.

I'm the furthest thing from a "gun nut" but I don't have the slightest sympathy for the intruders. I hope the homeowners are not traumatized by the events.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...tml?ir=Detroit

Paris Ainsworth says if not for her concealed weapons permit, she'd be dead

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...bbers/25840016

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Paris Ainsworth says if not for her concealed weapons permit, she'd be dead

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...bbers/25840016
    Rock on Paris! Keep training and aim a bit higher next time.

I feel sorry for the 15 year old kid, I really do. I think he made a really bad choice. But home invasions have taken on a devil-may-care-but-everybodie's-doing-it persona. Hopefully this will make more "would-be's" think twice before they try something illegal and dangerous.
    Why sorry for the 15 year-old? I don't understand the sympathy for the aggressor. Serious question. I don't get it. But I hear this a lot.

Is the idea that 'society played him a terrible trick' to quote West Side Story? So we as a society need to take some of the blame? Well then yes. We are partly to blame. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a moral stance against those who break societal norms. There are other ways for even the worst 15 year olds to act. Society may be sick, but we also do a lot to help youth see other paths. Ministers, teachers, social workers, monks, police, youth sporting leagues and on and on.

So again, why should I feel sorry? And why am I a cold-hearted bastard towards aggressors?

Why sorry for the 15 year-old? I don't understand the sympathy for the aggressor. Serious question. I don't get it. But I hear this a lot.
    I can certainly feel both sides. When it comes to situations like this my usual stance is, "oh f*cking well, you sew what you reap". But then there's a small part of me that says this little sh*thead got a very different roll of the dice, probably had at most 1 parent involved in his life, was surrounded by bad role models, a failed school system, and a broken culture.

But then I go back to think of the audacity it would take to break into someone's home and steal what they earned and either the real or implied threat of force, and I go right back to "oh f*cking well".

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I can certainly feel both sides. When it comes to situations like this my usual stance is, "oh f*cking well, you sew what you reap". But then there's a small part of me that says this little sh*thead got a very different roll of the dice, probably had at most 1 parent involved in his life, was surrounded by bad role models, a failed school system, and a broken culture.

But then I go back to think of the audacity it would take to break into someone's home and steal what they earned and either the real or implied threat of force, and I go right back to "oh f*cking well".
    Well said. All responsible human beings want the social situation that fosters evil changed. On that I think all agree.

So the question becomes how do we best change the world so this doesn't happen. Left believes unconditional love. Right believes being tough is love. Both ways see some successes. Both see some failures. Let's keep trying new ideas.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast