Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Why didn't these companies and agencies pledge money and volunteers when the city was operating the park? I supported the state takeover, so I'm not complaining or anything. But it does seem weird that as soon as the state takes over, people are tripping over themselves to fix Belle Isle.

Or am I completely misunderstanding these types of articles and there was already support?
    I would say its a combination of issues. There have been groups and volunteers working to improve the island for quite some time. But I do suppose that others were reluctant to provide aid due to a lack of faith in how the city was running things. I'll go ahead and mix some metaphors here - there are always those who will "tilt against windmills" - the stalwarts who have been doggedly trying to improve the city even as it declined, such as the friends of Belle Isle. Now that people think that the state will better manage and improve Belle Isle than the city could, we have the "jump on the bandwagon" folks. They see a corner having been turned, and now are more willing to step up to the plate.

I'm less concerned about anyone's motivation than I am glad to hear of aid, improvements, investment and development anywhere in the city, including Belle Isle.

I'm very glad to know that the state is already clearing overgrowth and dead, dying and dangerous trees. To any one who visits the island: pics are always welcomed, especially by those of us outside of the area!
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-11-13 at 01:39 PM.