Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I just got a sub from 2nd Street Sub Shop in Royal Oak. HS!!!!
    The meats and cheeses were first-rate, the bread was as close to perfect as I've had - and the dressing was excellent. Every bit as good as an italian hogie from Philly. Anyone who lives or works in RO and goes to Jimmy John's or Subway should try this out. you won't go back

Went to Ventimiglia in Madison Heights because of all the mentions here. I have to say, they just went to the head of the list above my beloved Gonellas.
    Great Italian sub on a hard roll. The hot peppers made it even better.

Best Subs in the D, fo 50 plus years

OK folks you've never I mean never had a sub until you've eaten an Italian $ 5 loaded, with the freshest most flavorful meats and cheeses in and around the D. They line up and yes you take a number to get these daily belly buster subs, with a dozen folks working fast and furious behind that mega meat counter. A must try years ago my friend Eric says once you go , you'll be hooked and yes I am at least twice per month for that fix and I've got dozens of friends and neighbor's hooked just like you'll be.
    Also pick up the wine and parsley sausage or the mici Romanian sausage and garlic butter all made daily in house.
    The breads, oils and olive selection Will blow you away. The service and smell when you step foot in the door will just say I've stepped back in time fifty years ago

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/19/15224...arket-Dearborn

Name:  ALCAMOS SUB.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  37.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ALPOE View Post
    Best Subs in the D, fo 50 plus years

OK folks you've never I mean never had a sub until you've eaten an Italian $ 5 loaded, with the freshest most flavorful meats and cheeses in and around the D. They line up and yes you take a number to get these daily belly buster subs, with a dozen folks working fast and furious behind that mega meat counter. A must try years ago my friend Eric says once you go , you'll be hooked and yes I am at least twice per month for that fix and I've got dozens of friends and neighbor's hooked just like you'll be.
    Also pick up the wine and parsley sausage or the mici Romanian sausage and garlic butter all made daily in house.
    The breads, oils and olive selection Will blow you away. The service and smell when you step foot in the door will just say I've stepped back in time fifty years ago

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/19/15224...arket-Dearborn

Name:  ALCAMOS SUB.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  37.3 KB
    Alcmo's came up several times in the thread.

I recently spotted a sign on a store on Telegraph in Dearborn claiming to have the Original Gonnella's Subs. I will investigate further and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I recently spotted a sign on a store on Telegraph in Dearborn claiming to have the Original Gonnella's Subs. I will investigate further and report back.
    Here's what little I know. The "original" Gonella's, [[back in the 60's) used to be on the Fort St. bend, @ the Fort St. & Oakwood Blvd. split. Late 60's, early 70's, the Gonella's on Oakwood appeared, and the one on the bend disappeared. I always assumed, [[yes, I know, "when you assume......") that they had moved to the current location. The current owners are not the "original" Gonella's owners, when it was on the bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Here's what little I know. The "original" Gonella's, [[back in the 60's) used to be on the Fort St. bend, @ the Fort St. & Oakwood Blvd. split. Late 60's, early 70's, the Gonella's on Oakwood appeared, and the one on the bend disappeared. I always assumed, [[yes, I know, "when you assume......") that they had moved to the current location. The current owners are not the "original" Gonella's owners, when it was on the bend.
    Looks like the answer's here......

http://www.gonellas.com/history/#.UwDJSk2YbmQ

Looks like the answer's here......

http://www.gonellas.com/history/#.UwDJSk2YbmQ
    They bought the original store, but they are not the original owners. Vince Gonella, the son, owns the Gonellas on Outer Drive in Dearborn. I think his subs are a tad bit better.

They bought the original store, but they are not the original owners. Vince Gonella, the son, owns the Gonellas on Outer Drive in Dearborn. I think his subs are a tad bit better.
    The original store on the bend was a bit more like Alcomo's then what it is now. That neighborhood, what's left of it, has been on the decline, and has changed dramatically from when I was a teen. I'll have to check out the one on Outer Drive.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-16-14 at 09:38 AM.

With the Marathon take over I heard they are moving the store to the old Swansons at Oakwood and Schafer.

With the Marathon take over I heard they are moving the store to the old Swansons at Oakwood and Schafer.
    I asked the owner one day when we went for subs, and he said "No". But that doesn't mean anything. Swansons, with the parking lot, would be a better deal for them, IMO. I wonder what's going to happen to Giovanni's? Excellent Italian food, by the way.

Bommaritos Bakery on Mack between 8 and 9 mile, has real good subs, pizza too

Barbs Pasties and Pizza on Main st in Clawson has excellent subs

Pizza connection at 8 1/2 and John R. Got what they call a Roman sub, more like a turnover. Steak,mushrooms,garlic. Been there for at least 40 years. I Love em.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Pizza connection at 8 1/2 and John R. Got what they call a Roman sub, more like a turnover. Steak,mushrooms,garlic. Been there for at least 40 years. I Love em.
    Their pizza and cheesy bread also are outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Pretty much the same.

I've heard that Sylvia's Subs in Allen Park is pretty good. I've not had them before though.

Yes!!!! Mike and Sylvia's is amazing. I have been going there for years and nothing has changed. From the nostalgic interior to the amazing fried ham and cheese

Alcamo's came up several times in the thread.
    Take a look at the article from the Free Press Sept 2013 that also mentions the places talked about here.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013090...90087/1081/col

I used to love the subs that you could get from Kmart. Even after they removed the delis from all their stores, some stores had them pre-made and you could still buy them. Very simple and very good.

Quote Originally Posted by ALPOE View Post
    Take a look at the article from the Free Press Sept 2013 that also mentions the places talked about here.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013090...90087/1081/col
    Except for the ones in the far Western 'Burbs, I've had subs @ most of those places. My PERSONAL preference? I think Alcamo's wins.

Guys I know it's a chain, but DiBella's subs has got some really good stuff there. I'm definitely a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Signman View Post
    Went to Ventimiglia in Madison Heights because of all the mentions here. I have to say, they just went to the head of the list above my beloved Gonellas.
    Great Italian sub on a hard roll. The hot peppers made it even better.
    wrong Heights!

The Gonellas location in Detroit is not that good. The bread is stale and the meats are cheap. I'm thinking either some of you are going by nostalgia or haven't tasted a good sub.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3