Quote Originally Posted by Jaybiz View Post
Here's a good map, http://www.remappingdebate.org/photo...roit-1950-2010, I hope the link works, it's shows white flight each decade from 1950-2010. Also Washington Post has a great interactive map which you can tract the racial change almost block by block.
Another person posted that Italians moved to Clinton Twp, which they did but East Point, SCS, Warren had just as many Italians as anywhere. Also up until 1990's, Italians still had presence in the city, around 7 & Gratiot and 6-7 mile & Schoenherr.
This map helped me win a debate with my westside Jewish buddy who didn't believe my old neighborhood Kelly & Morang was mostly white up until the mid 90's. His debate was that I must of been one of the few white kids being that I'm only in my mid 30's and white flight happen long before my time. In fairness to him, his opinion was shaped by the west side bordering Oakland county which had total white flight long before the eastside, for whatever reason many white people on the east side didn't leave for the suburds until 90's.
The area along Kelly up to 8 Mile had a large white population even up to 2000. The area was really popular in the 90's. I was looking for a house in that area in the 90's till I ended up in Harper Woods. There was a realtor on Kelly on the Detroit side about 4 blocks south of 8 Mile that I worked with that said more people were buying homes in the part of Detroit than the bordering Eastpointe and Harper Woods due to the low housing costs. Harper Woods was 85% white in 2000 and Eastpointe about 90% in 2000. In 2010 Harper Woods fell to 48% and Eastpointe to 68%. There was a huge change in the 2000's. As i recall city services were still adequate if not good in that area through the 90's. The only issue I remember was snow plowing. The residents used to pay a local plow to clear the streets. I also remember a lot of whites sent their kids to St Jude and also to high school at Lutheran High East. Things really changed fast in one decade.