Recently that young woman who owns the Corktown Hostel was assaulted as she walked in Woodbridge. There was a lot of comment about her op-ed and her whiteness.
I know plenty of single women who live in Detroit. I don't know many who live alone. They may live with men or sisters or a housemate - but few live alone.
It is iresponsible to assure a woman that she can move to just about any neighborhood in Detroit without a firm support system and be happy and safe.
Women from the region can make an informed decision - women from almost any other first-world country cannot grasp from afar exactly what they would face here.
I speak as a woman who lives alone in SW Detroit. I am somewhat comfortable because I have good neighbors at this time. If they leave i will probably have to leave- my experience is that replacement neighbors are not too nice. Not a lot of secure happy families are moving into Detroit.
If the issue isn't safety then its emergencies. If the OP or I have a heart attack or fall down the basement stairs, how will we get to one of the great hospitals we are blessed with? Its not like we can call EMS.
Really, believe me- this is no city for lone women.