Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

In order to fix things, you must first determine the problem.

In order to do justice, you must first find the truth.

Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to do that here until another generation dies off, because too many in the region cling to ideological ideas about what the problem has been, and a mythological view of history. If this weren't enough to stop progress, there is also a very quiet, unspoken problem that can never be addressed, because if you even mention its name, about half the population here will go bat-shit insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    In order to fix things, you must first determine the problem.

In order to do justice, you must first find the truth.

Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to do that here until another generation dies off, because too many in the region cling to ideological ideas about what the problem has been, and a mythological view of history. If this weren't enough to stop progress, there is also a very quiet, unspoken problem that can never be addressed, because if you even mention its name, about half the population here will go bat-shit insane.
    People on this board go way past identifying the problem. I can tell you the problems here without tearing down the city, suburbs, and state quite easily. Metro Detroiters as a whole have a severe case of regional low self esteem. I've never seen anything like it. This actually comes up quite a bit in conversation with other non-natives; I was just talking about it with a girl from Austin that I met at Nain Rouge yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    People on this board go way past identifying the problem. I can tell you the problems here without tearing down the city, suburbs, and state quite easily. Metro Detroiters as a whole have a severe case of regional low self esteem. I've never seen anything like it. This actually comes up quite a bit in conversation with other non-natives; I was just talking about it with a girl from Austin that I met at Nain Rouge yesterday.
    Well, I do love it here. Being from here makes it easier to love, and moving away for 11 years helped me see its faults but also appreciate its charm. It's kind of like an old shoe that's worn to your contours, always easy to step back into, even if you wouldn't want to wear it to the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Well, I do love it here. Being from here makes it easier to love, and moving away for 11 years helped me see its faults but also appreciate its charm. It's kind of like an old shoe that's worn to your contours, always easy to step back into, even if you wouldn't want to wear it to the ball.
    Very well stated D-nerd! By far the best post on the CoD you have posted on here! Now we all need to expand on that very sentiment.