Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

In RTW states, employees who choose to not join the union are still provided the benefits negotiated by the union, as you'll see with even the most basic description of RTW. This is freeloading.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    In RTW states, employees who choose to not join the union are still provided the benefits negotiated by the union, as you'll see with even the most basic description of RTW. This is freeloading.
    So, you mean to tell me if don't join, or "opt out" of the union... and get in trouble at work, I can then call in the union rep to meet with management and protect my job? Bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    So let's go even farther and allow those who opt out to negotiate their own deal with the company. That's just called liberty and freedom of association.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    So let's go even farther and allow those who opt out to negotiate their own deal with the company. That's just called liberty and freedom of association.
    Sounds like a winner to me. If you don't need the union, you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    That's called Bull Shit, because the company is never going to bargain in good faith. The CEO's and top administrators will make sure they get their's though.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-08-12 at 11:03 PM.

This is all B.S. for several reasons.

1) This is not about worker freedom. If it was, then civil rights and other labor groups would be supporting this. Also, the fact that police and firefighters were exempt from this proposed law show this isn't really about worker freedom.

2) Workers in a union shop already do not have to join a union, and do not have to pay dues. These are called "Beck Rights." However, all workers in a union shop do have to pay a certain amount to a union for a representation fee. These fees only cover the union's cost of representation, but do not allow for political activity, etc. It is unfair if people benefit from union representation but then don't have to pay thier fair share for it. No other group in the world is forced to represent people like this without being compensated for it.

3) Unions already are democratic organizations and are bound by laws that hold them responsible to their memberships.

4) As for economic growth, there is no real evidence to support that RTW will enhance economic growth. When ranked with about 100 other economic variables, RTW is insignificant.

5) What this is really about is reducing political opposition to conservative agendas. Really, what do labor unions and Republican Tea Partiers have in common? Nothing. The Tea Party sees this as a way to reduce political opposition.

BTW, gnome, I didn't know you worked up in Lansing. I hired in machining intake manifolds on 2nd shift, March 2, 1979. Worked in water pumps another year or two then got sent to big car final assembly and from there to Plant 3 then Experimental Assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankg View Post
    This is all B.S. for several reasons.

2) Workers in a union shop already do not have to join a union, and do not have to pay dues. These are called "Beck Rights." However, all workers in a union shop do have to pay a certain amount to a union for a representation fee. These fees only cover the union's cost of representation, but do not allow for political activity, etc. It is unfair if people benefit from union representation but then don't have to pay thier fair share for it. No other group in the world is forced to represent people like this without being compensated for it.
    That's interesting. I pay more in city taxes in Detroit than I would in San Francisco but don't get shit for services. That's not really fair either...

I would offer up a counter-example that I, as a gun owner, am not required to join the NRA even though they advocate for my ownership rights.

On a side note, here's what I don't really understand: say the UAW is up for a round of salary negotiations with Chevrolet's top brass. Where within RTW legislation does it allow Chevy a loophole to state "Well, since our employees aren't required to pay union dues, we are going to negotiate a lower-wage contract with you."

Or what the union talking heads are not telling us is that, if they don't continue to receive the inglorious amounts of money to continue feeding their $500m "strike fund", then workers won't have leverage because there's not enough funds in the coffers to put up a fight.

In that regard, perhaps RTW will have another consequence, this one good: the union is valued based on the merit of its ideas, not how much money it raises. And at that point, perhaps union workers will be paid based on what the market demands -- just like the 82 percent of us non-unionized employees in Michigan face every given day of the week.
    Last edited by michimoby; December-09-12 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankg View Post
    5) What this is really about is reducing political opposition to conservative agendas.
    BING BING BING BING BING BING BING!!!! We have a winner. This statement hits the nail on the head. [[BTW, the bings are supposed to be a bell sound, nothing to do with the mayor.)