Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by heywood mccrakin View Post
    Dumb question....If one of you felt that the stadium should have been kept up, why didnt you put up the money to save it?

Seems to me if there was a viable use for the old park, someone shouldd have put up the money, right?
    We did... as much as was going to be raised for any preservation in this horrible economy - and there are several threads about it here. The city was getting free security, etc. on those grounds, and a plan to redevelop and reuse the remaining original Navin Field portions of the stadium with minimal or no use of public funds. But, no, demolition is progress here in the City of Detroit. So there's no waiting for things to come together, the DEGC must have its vacant lot NOW!!

I still say they should save the field for the children. How amazing would it be to play on the same field where all the greats played. That part they need to save and turn it into a park. IMO

WHAT!!!, That 19th century building next to the old stadium is still standing??? Tear it down now.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That building was built sometime between 1884 and 1897, as it does not show on the Sanborn map for the earlier date [[in fact, there's almost nothing built north of Michigan then), but is there with a line of store buildings by the time of the later map. It shows on the 1921 Sanborn as a "2nd Hand" store, with some sort of repair shop on the second floor.

I think that overhead door on the side may have been added during its time as a big sports souvenir store in the '80s and '90s.
    I remember it selling Tiger souvenirs in the 80s & 90s.

Anyone have any updates on demo work today? Have they started on the corner of Michigan and Cochrane yet?

That 'urban gentleman' lives on the front stoop of that building--he's been limping around there for years. Sometimes we buy him Subway and other food from the Marathon across the street. He doesn't seem to have substance issues, but doesn't seem quite all there, either. If I was homeless for a long period of time I might go nuts and be leery of others too. He never really talks, but we can tell he appreciates what he's given. If you're in that neighborhood and have extra blankets, clothes for tall men, etc... he's a good one to donate to--it broke my heart to see him bundled up on the front ledge in the freezing cold year after year.
    Last edited by Alley; June-18-09 at 01:17 PM.

They are darn close to reaching Home Plate now. Here's a shot from the center of Michigan Ave, taken today 6/18 at lunchtime.

-- Tim
    Attachment 1870

Quote Originally Posted by treinman View Post
    They are darn close to reaching Home Plate now. Here's a shot from the center of Michigan Ave, taken today 6/18 at lunchtime.

-- Tim
    Attachment 1870
    Wonder if they're going to close Michigan Ave. like they did Trumbull. Seems like they'd have to.

Quote: "I'm curious as to why it was built in that [pie] shape."

Probably an indication of how scarce Detroit real estate was at one time. That had to be prime at one time, Michigan avenue, next to the ballpark.

Well, Michigan and Trumbull was just a hayfield when the pie shaped building was built, Ss. But otherwise, yeah, I agree on it being highly desirable land back then.

I heard that the field will be torn up, because they don't want suburbanites coming down and tearing all the grass out themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I heard that the field will be torn up, because they don't want suburbanites coming down and tearing all the grass out themselves.
    Oh please, now this is just getting ridiculous.

The pie-shaped building was a souvenir stand in the 80s/90s, and as recently as 2007 was home to a bunch of the green stadium seats. I was down there on a random weekend day prior to demolition in 2007 and the building was open, people were doing some work inside, and there were a ton of seats. Just an FYI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2