Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
This is how it's done in Chicago:

This arrangement would allow an express bus to make a brief stop without getting off the expressway and then get back into the express lane without delay. A platform could eliminate steps into the bus.
Yeah, I have taken the Blue line to/from O'Hare many times, so I know that parts of the Chicago system run in the freeway medians. Though, in the case of the Blue line, the intent was to connect the city's train system to the airport and the freeway was the easiest way to do it. It should be noted that the train line actually terminates under the airport terminals, so passengers walk right out of the security gate and get onto the train.

I have also taken the Red line from the Hyde Park area on the South Side to the Loop. I forgot which stop it is but you have to take a bus from Hyde Park and it drops you off at a bus stop midway across a freeway overpass. From the pedestrian's viewpoint, this seems like the most impractical way to ever build a rapid transit system. If not for buses shuttling passengers to the stop, hardly anyone would enter the system at those center-of-freeway platforms because they are inaccessible to pedestrians.