Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I hear you but I think the dems and Obama are functioning similarly. All eyes on 2012, meanwhile the deficit continues to mount. This in part speaks to the presidents inflexibility with regards to finding a solution as well, outside of taxing the rich which is not enough as I've stated before....
    Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I believe Thom Hartman hits it on the head with this analysis

"Republicans could care less about the debt ceiling - the only clock they care about is the one that's ticking away to the 2012 elections...

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I hear you but I think the dems and Obama are functioning similarly. All eyes on 2012, meanwhile the deficit continues to mount. This in part speaks to the presidents inflexibility with regards to finding a solution as well, outside of taxing the rich which is not enough as I've stated before....
    Well, let's just agree that the President would be stupid to completely ignore 2012.

Restoring previous tax rates on the wealthy MUST be a part of any deficit-reduction strategy, though. The math doesn't work otherwise.

I'm not convinced that the deficit itself is the problem. The problem [[which the GOP won't tell you) is that the GDP isn't growing. The easiest way to cut spending as a percentage of GDP is to grow the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post

I'm not convinced that the deficit itself is the problem. The problem [[which the GOP won't tell you) is that the GDP isn't growing. The easiest way to cut spending as a percentage of GDP is to grow the economy.
    And to do that you must stimulate demand. Demand creates jobs not tax cuts.

And right wing Repub governors whose first move once getting into office is to cut public and government employees jobs doesn't help either.

No wonder the countries monthly unemployment numbers look so crappy
    Last edited by firstandten; July-19-11 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I don't think its about being inflexible, its more about the Repubs trying to checkmate the Pres into making unacceptable budget cuts, its not about trying to jointly find solutions, and finding compromise where everyone gets a little, loses a little etc. Its a political strategy pure and simple, both parties do it, however we are still in a tough time in this economy, and we could still go into a depression, but the Repubs being the true believers, don't really care as long as the WH is in the win column for 2012.

Just like its takes two to tango, its takes two to make a compromise

Funny thing I still don't think they will win but there aren't going down without a fight
    Last edited by firstandten; July-19-11 at 07:15 PM.