Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
And to further dismiss your theories, America's greatest cities [[NYC, San Francisco, DC, etc.) all have an income tax much higher than Detroit's yet last I checked. In fact, NYC and DC has a progressive income tax. Boston's taxes are pretty high too I'm sure, if not the city property's tax structures then for Massachusetts' tax structure.
While it's true that these cities have a progressive income tax, it's basically irrevelent.

Detroit doesn't have the competitive advantages of a NYC or SF, and therefore can't overcome similar issues with the city income tax. Basically beggars can't be choosers.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
Chicago doesn't have an income tax, but that's made up with a 9% sales tax. Even then the population inside the loop still increased by 200,000 in the last election.
I doubt Chicago's Loop has more than 20,000 residents. To claim it increased by 200,000 residents is completely absurd.

The city of Chicago has massive numeric population loss; second only to Detroit. The city core undoutedly has a growing population, but the Loop has a very small population. It's mostly office space.

There will never, ever, be 200,000 people living in the Loop, which is geographically quite small.

Detroit needs to work towards eliminating the income tax. I know it isn't feasable right now, but there needs to be a long-term effort at income tax equality across the tri-county region. Otherwise, Detroit will eventually be a potemkin village core surrounded by a giant wasteland.