Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I believe drugs should be regulated, taxed, and controlled.
    Roughly a quarter of violent crimes are committed by perps who are high. On/near any college campus, that percentage is nearly doubled. These stats not include the property crimes committed to fund their "habits".

How do you propose to "regulate, tax and control" the violence associated with many addicts?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Roughly a quarter of violent crimes are committed by perps who are high. On/near any college campus, that percentage is nearly doubled. These stats not include the property crimes committed to fund their "habits".

How do you propose to "regulate, tax and control" the violence associated with many addicts?
    Why are drug prices so high? Because they are illegal which in turns causes ppl with addictions to support a habit which costs are hundreds of time higher than which they should be. Dont forget all the money saved on imprisoning ppl could go to addiction research and rehab to those that need it. There is no good outcome to drugs but prohibition has been proven not to work and another strategy needs to be looked at. As far as 50% of violent crimes near college campuses Im goig to assume that most of those crimes are alcohol related. A person high on crack isnt necessarily violent because of the drug and heroin, well thats a no brainer. I woulod guess that up to 80% of those crimes were fueled by booze.

As far as regulating the violence, what would be different than it is today? Do you really think drug use would skyrocket because it was legal. Anyone can get drugs but do they?

I have lost someone to drugs. He also injected heroin which was cut with a huge amount of fentanyl, and I found him when I came home from work. What is even worse is how he was treated by the DPD. They weren't one bit interested in doing a thorough investigation of his case even though my car and a ton of money was stolen in the process and they treated him like some sort of loser even though he was actually doing relatively well and hadn't been using much in a long time until then. And it took an ambulance forever to show up. We found out who sold the drugs but they got away and the police didn't care to hear about it. They lived in the same apartment complex. He was only 27 years old. He immigrated to the U.S. from Russia with his parents when he was a kid, but because immigrations in the U.S. is so screwed up he still had no legal status several years later. Because of this, he had no legal right to work, no legal right to get financial aid for school or any of that. Still, I think that he did quite a lot with his time compared to most people. He got his documents and paperwork in the mail shortly after he died... Ironic, right?

...And yeah, I believe that drugs should be legalized and regulated. This probably wouldn't have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Roughly a quarter of violent crimes are committed by perps who are high. On/near any college campus, that percentage is nearly doubled.
    I'd like to see what study supports that statement. Alcohol has a higher violent crime rate, yet it is perfectly legal.

That "War on Drugs" and the "Just Say No" campaign has been working so well these last 25 years, haven't they?