Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2014 Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    @iheartthed... Yes, Detroit metro is huge, but that doesn't make the city capable of handling an event like this. The city needs to have many attractions centrally located and all within very close distance of hotels. Detroit doesn't offer this. It's not walkable especially in early February. The reasons Detroit isn't a tourist destination are the same reason's its not a good Super Bowl host.

-- I love Detroit and love living here. I just don't think we're a good Super Bowl host and don't think we will ever get another one in Ford Field. There are too many better options.
    I don't get what point you are trying to make. The city just hosted this event three years ago.

My point is that the NFL will never give us the event again. We hosted it in 2006 as a 'thank you' from the NFL to William Clay Ford for building a new stadium, and to the Big Three for years and years of sponsoring the league.

And by most accounts, Detroit was a terrible Super Bowl host. There was nothing we as a city could have done differently, it's just that we come up short on the things they look for in a host city: Weather, nightlife, centrally located activities. This conversation was whether Detroit could get another Super Bowl, not whether we can host one [[although an unattractive host, we can handle it), I shouldn't have said we can't handle it. It's more like we can't make the visitors happy with what we have to offer.

My point is that the NFL will never give us the event again. We hosted it in 2006 as a 'thank you' from the NFL to William Clay Ford for building a new stadium, and to the Big Three for years and years of sponsoring the league.
    That's it.

Detroit will get another SB when they replace Ford Field.

The NFL said thank you to the tax payers and the Ford family once, they're not going to do it again unless they make the decision to move the SB to the spring time when the weather is better.

SBXL was the best weekend of my life. I still tell people today that it is the main reason I began to love Detroit and that it is what sparked me to move here.

I don't understand how anyone would think that there was nothing for people to do when they were here. Everywhere you looked there was stuff for families, sports fans, media, celebrities, and even the homeless to do.

If I recall correctly, Roger Penske was very involved with Detroit's Superbowl efforts. Maybe he can get involved again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    That's quite a statement. Thanks for donating your time to help this charity case of a city even though you'd never live here. I'm sure you sleep well at night, content and proud of your contributions.
    Those are some mighty presumptuous words for someone who doesn't know me or has ever met me...

I've lived in Detroit for 30 years before I moved... and no, I don't view Detroit as a charity case... but your mind is already made up about me, so I won't bother confusing you with the facts... and yes... I do sleep well at night... and not for charitable reasons...

And what have you done... besides trolling?
    Last edited by Gistok; May-21-09 at 02:23 PM.

And by most accounts, Detroit was a terrible Super Bowl host.
    Strange, I seem to remember almost everything in the press being good. Most came expecting it to be terrible and were very pleasantly surprised to find that they enjoyed themselves and the city quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    Strange, I seem to remember almost everything in the press being good. Most came expecting it to be terrible and were very pleasantly surprised to find that they enjoyed themselves and the city quite a bit.
    I have to agree gecinjay...

Greendetroit... where are you getting your information from? Everything that was reported in the dailies, on TV, out of town journalists/news media and the NFL itself, all painted the Detroit's Superbowl a success.... are you basing your info on personal experiences, or what??

The truth hurts, doesn't it, Ralph? Take some aspirin and move on. Gistok is spot-on with his statement.

It's not where you live... it's how you spend your time living...
    Amen Gistok!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2