Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ...Instead of being all outraged that folks from outside Detroit are buying books from Arcadia Press, ersatz Vernor signs and real sugar faygo at a shoppe in Troy; you might want to consider saving up that outrage for something important.

You are 100% spot on, Gnome. Some people really need to get a life and stop obsessing over ridiculous things.

Do those of you who are so incensed by this store think that folks in New York City, or Las Vegas, or Los Angeles get their panties in a bunch that people wear shirts or hats with their city's logo on them?

We get it, you're bursting at the seams with pride, love, fascination, and obsession with the fact that you have achieved one of life's greatest feats, you actually live in the gritty, rough and tumble City of Detroit. You are the toughest of the tough, the baddest of the bad, and more enlightened than all others. And that is all good and well. But don't rain on the parade of other people who want nothing more than to purchase some silly souvenier with all of the profits from that purchase going toward charity and cultural institutions of the City of Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    You have to think of them as you think of the Cubans in south Florida or the Vietnamese in their Little Saigons.

The suburbanites are a "diaspora" driven from their homes by forces beyond their control. Most of them don't hate Detroit. They love the Detroit "that was" and hate what Detroit has become.
    Yes, the forces that be. These forces tend to "color" the situation somewhat, dont they? Can we imagine the diaspora as a collection of people of predominantly european descent. Can we judge them for fleeing the once thriving city "that was"? What made them seek out greener pastures? What were the identifiable threats in Detroit? What has the city become? When I read what you posted Hermod, the reasons for Detroit's demise seem less linked to complexity and more to complexion.

Went last Friday - didn't even know it had opened yet.

Nice store - they carry stuff made in, and associated with, Detroit. Pewabic tiles, Better Made, Sanders, Faygo, etc... Along with books and videos. They have a bunch of memorabilia as well - one of the sideline scoreboards from Tiger's Stadium, turnstiles, vintage usher uniforms from the Fischer.

There was also a mini-museum with photographs taken from the WSU archives, I saw a bunch that were in the Arcaida books.

As for arguments about the location - I like WSU Professor Hugh Cannon's take on it - "The store happens to be there, Somerset, because that's where people shop."

I think the RenCen Pure Detroit store may have closed, but the Guardian Building and Fisher Builing stores are still open and will not be closing after the Auto Show.

The press for this store reminds me of when Zacarro's market first opened. The morning news was covering a new Holiday market opening in Royal Oak while a new grocery was opening in the vast food desert of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Is that store still open in the RenCen?
    yes its still here..

I have been to the store twice now. The 1st time i came across it on my way to Macy's to get a Winter coat for my daughter. I love the atmosphere and the workers in the store were super excited about thier place and talked to me breifly about the tours they have leaving from their store. I bought some Christmas presents there for my mom [[DSO cd, hot fudge and a calander). It made my shopping fairly easy since everything was under one roof. The store had good vibes and the vibe was go visit these places...
    The 2nd time I went I took my mom and daughter because I wanted to show her a picture of the giant tire as a ferris wheel. My whole life my dad always told me it used to be a ferris wheel and I have told my daughter the same...except until I went to the store I had never seen a picture of it as such. I wanted to share it with her. The Pictures they have in the "memory walk" area sparked some good conversations with my mom about her childhood and what she remembered. I found out where my grandfather worked as a type setter, and that she used to go to Vernors after Boblo-Island and that my great aunt worked as a Hair stylist in Hudson ect...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yes, the forces that be. These forces tend to "color" the situation somewhat, dont they? Can we imagine the diaspora as a collection of people of predominantly european descent. Can we judge them for fleeing the once thriving city "that was"? What made them seek out greener pastures? What were the identifiable threats in Detroit? What has the city become? When I read what you posted Hermod, the reasons for Detroit's demise seem less linked to complexity and more to complexion.
    Given the current crime situation in Detroit, the early departers were quite prescient.

The folks fleeing now are of the same complexion as the "forces".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    BrushStart... about a dozen years ago I was in York England sightseeing... and I looked in a clothing store window to see "DETROIT JEANS".... They were not produced here, but sold there as a sort of chic jeans available to Brits. Americans thumb their collective noses at Detroit... but in Europe Detroit is COOL....

For folks in SE Michigan [[and expatriots elsewhere) it's nothing more that folks wanting Souvenirs or a remider of their past... something that driving thru their old neighborhood definitely does NOT convey.
    Yeah, I guess I can see that. I just think the whole "Detroit" thing gets too trumped up.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Have you ever actually shopped in a city with an urban shopping district? I assure you that most, if not all, are much less sterile than Somerset. And many of the most famous, like Soho NYC, are even less sterile than downtown Detroit.
    Your question is curious, because I think you have have misunderstood my post. I was not comparing shopping choices in Chicago, NY or Paris. I was comparing shopping choices within the larger Detroit metro area.

Where is the best shopping around these here parts? Certainly not Woodward, not 7 mile, nor the Avenue of Fashion. Why is that? Is it because of crime? Taxes? Graffiti? Bums?

Are those problems for 12 Oaks? Birmingham? Sommerset? Where do you think all those ladies running around the City get their Gucci purses? At the Gucci store on Woodward? No.

There is no Gucci store on Woodward. It is exactly at that place, that is not there, where people aren't spending their money. You have to ask why. Why isn't there a store on Woodward? Obviously there is a Detroit market for their products. Why is there not a store in Detroit?

Same goes for any of the other stores in Somerset as well as all the Krogers, Meijers, Red Lobsters or Outback Steakhouses. In their safe suburban confines these stores certainly serve folks of all stripes. They do not ask for ID to be granted entrance. Many of those places wouldn't exist if Detroiters didn't go there. You need to ask why they are not in the city. I have been asking that same question for decades and for me the answer is crime and taxes.

The same reason applies to residents as it does to stores. Why is Detroit being emptied by the UHaul truck every weekend? Since that flight is now mainly black, and now not booshie black, it is beyond belief to suggest they are fleeing black people. They are fleeing criminals, high taxes and poor city services. Just like all the folks before them.

I love Detroit, but I'm not blind to why people don't see it my way.

To be somehow enraged that folks would want to shop for Detroit branded items is to be shocked at the marginal success of PureDetroit. They've been doing the same thing for a dozen years, selling memories. I don't understand why anyone would deny that to folk just because they don't live where you think they should.

Jeeze.

Your question is curious, because I think you have have misunderstood my post. I was not comparing shopping choices in Chicago, NY or Paris. I was comparing shopping choices within the larger Detroit metro area.

Where is the best shopping around these here parts? Certainly not Woodward, not 7 mile, nor the Avenue of Fashion. Why is that? Is it because of crime? Taxes? Graffiti? Bums?

Are those problems for 12 Oaks? Birmingham? Sommerset? Where do you think all those ladies running around the City get their Gucci purses? At the Gucci store on Woodward? No.

There is no Gucci store on Woodward. It is exactly at that place, that is not there, where people aren't spending their money. You have to ask why. Why isn't there a store on Woodward? Obviously there is a Detroit market for their products. Why is there not a store in Detroit?

Same goes for any of the other stores in Somerset as well as all the Krogers, Meijers, Red Lobsters or Outback Steakhouses. In their safe suburban confines these stores certainly serve folks of all stripes. They do not ask for ID to be granted entrance. Many of those places wouldn't exist if Detroiters didn't go there. You need to ask why they are not in the city. I have been asking that same question for decades and for me the answer is crime and taxes.

The same reason applies to residents as it does to stores. Why is Detroit being emptied by the UHaul truck every weekend? Since that flight is now mainly black, and now not booshie black, it is beyond belief to suggest they are fleeing black people. They are fleeing criminals, high taxes and poor city services. Just like all the folks before them.

I love Detroit, but I'm not blind to why people don't see it my way.

To be somehow enraged that folks would want to shop for Detroit branded items is to be shocked at the marginal success of PureDetroit. They've been doing the same thing for a dozen years, selling memories. I don't understand why anyone would deny that to folk just because they don't live where you think they should.

Jeeze.
    Oh okay, I get your point. Except I think that taxes and crime has less to do with why these establishments don't exist in the city.

I'm not really questioning why this store is at Somerset. I know why it is at Somerset... I think we all do. I think some people are just finding irony at such a store being in Somerset and not in Detroit because the very existence [[and success) of Somerset is symptomatic of why stores like this no longer exist in Detroit.

People like the idea of Detroit. Its brand. What they don't like is being asked for bus fare...They like a clean Detroit. A graffiti free Detroit...Does that make them intolerant of poor people? Of black people? Not really...It makes them intollerant [sic] of criminals, bullies and those to [sic] think it is just fine for to [sic] expect less and pay more.
    I think you're being a bit naive there, Pollyanna. How nice it would be if that were true, but you're basically saying that racism and classism play no role [[or a minimal role) in why some people won't come into the city.

The sad reality is that those with racist tendencies see black people, and think crime. And they equate poor black people to crime even more so. Which is not to say, obviously, that crime does not exist in Detroit, but many people stay away because of imaginary crimes that will be committed by the poor, black people around them.

In essence, if Detroit were clean and graffiti free, with no beggars, no bullies and no crime, but full of poor, black people, there would still be plenty of racist people that wouldn't set foot in the city.

More power to em I say...

More power to ???

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I think you're being a bit naive there, Pollyanna. How nice it would be if that were true, but you're basically saying that racism and classism play no role [[or a minimal role) in why some people won't come into the city.

The sad reality is that those with racist tendencies see black people, and think crime. And they equate poor black people to crime even more so. Which is not to say, obviously, that crime does not exist in Detroit, but many people stay away because of imaginary crimes that will be committed by the poor, black people around them.

In essence, if Detroit were clean and graffiti free, with no beggars, no bullies and no crime, but full of poor, black people, there would still be plenty of racist people that wouldn't set foot in the city.

Ah yes, in typical Dyes fashion everything comes down to the charge of racism.

Did it ever occur to you that people, be they black or white, do not like having to put up with criminals and beggars of any color?

Are the black people who are now fleeing, and don't want to shop in Detroit racist against other blacks?

DC48080, try to read my post again, slowly this time.

DC48080 Guest

DC48080, try to read my post again, slowly this time.
    Basically what you said is that people equate poor black people with crime. Most people equate CRIMINALS no matter what color their skin is with crime. Racism has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps you should re-read your post, slowly this time, and examine your thoughts.
    Last edited by DC48080; November-08-10 at 06:27 PM.

It's a store selling all things Detroit. Is it really that deep? You can buy branded merchandise for most metropolitan areas in the suburbs and in the airports -- no one thinks that's strange.

I'm happy that the suburbs are actually claiming Detroit these days. We have come a long way since I was a little girl. Perceptions of the city aren't the same as they were 20 or 25 years ago. They won't be the same 20 or 25 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Basically what you said is that people equate poor black people with crime. Most people equate CRIMINALS no matter what color their skin is with crime. Racism has nothing to do with it.

Perhaps you should re-read your post, slowly this time, and examine your thoughts.
    Thanks, but I'm clear on what I said. I said that some people [["those with racist tendencies" were my words) equate poor black people to crime. I said that if Detroit had no crime but was full of poor, black people, there would still be plenty of racist people that wouldn't set foot in the city.

I am saying that if, for purpose of discussion, you take crime out of the equation, the reality is that certain people [[with racist tendencies) will see non-criminal poor black people and fear crime.

DC48080 Guest

Why does almost everything on Dyes have to end up with the accusation of racism? Not everything that doesn't go somebody's way is because of racism. There are far too many people on this forum who look for racism around every corner. It gets old. Too many folks on here think they make themselves look better and are superior to others if they can be the first to charge racism.

There, I have vented. Time to sit down to dinner with the family.

Not everything that doesn't go somebody's way is because of racism.
    I completely agree with that statement. But just as it is not true to say that racism is always a factor, it is equally not true to say that racism is never a factor.

I would love to pretend that racism doesn't exist, but unfortunately it is a reality of life. I would love to pretend that racism has nothing to do with why some people will never shop in the city, but that's naive.

Too many folks on here think they make themselves look better and are superior to others if they can be the first to charge racism.
    I'm sorry that you view it that way. The discussion at hand is why some people will buy Detroit products in Troy but will not come to Detroit to buy those same products, and in some instances this is certainly a factor. Should we pretend it isn't?

DC48080 Guest

The discussion at hand is why some people will buy Detroit products in Troy but will not come to Detroit to buy those same products, and in some instances this is certainly a factor. Should we pretend it isn't?
    The fact of the matter is that many people do not feel comfortable shopping for those products in Detroit because of the criminals and beggars that populate the city. It has nothing to do with racism, period.

Also, perhaps those shoppers find it more convenient, i.e. closer to their homes to buy those products in Troy.

In addition, with the dearth of retail in the city, some of those products may not be available in the vaunted City of Detroit.
    Last edited by DC48080; November-08-10 at 08:03 PM.

I saw on the news last night a similar store opened this week on 8 Mile yet no one on this thread gave that guy any ink. Some folks are only happy when they are complaining.

Do they have a website that one can order from for people who might find it inconvenient to visit their store in person, like say people who live in Detroit?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Do they have a website that one can order from for people who might find it inconvenient to visit their store in person, like say people who live in Detroit?

From the tone of this thread, One would think that residents of Detroit proper wouldn't want to patronize this business because it is located in the God-awful suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I saw on the news last night a similar store opened this week on 8 Mile yet no one on this thread gave that guy any ink. Some folks are only happy when they are complaining.
    Do you have a link for this guy? I looked but can't find him online. I wouldn't mind going there, it's a lot closer for me than Somerset.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast