Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    So ya how is this place growing exponentially? I think there alot of stupid people that fall for these rock bottom prices and believe their deep fried crap is actually good food. Seems as though they cater to the poor folks. I guess the markup on cheap food is very good.
    And it's not even that inexpensive. I think the exponential growth [[besides the possible illegal activities) is also due to the lack of other acceptable food options besides traditional fast food. It was clean and had a standardized menu. Unfortunately, standards are pretty low in the areas where Happy's tends to thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    So ya how is this place growing exponentially? I think there alot of stupid people that fall for these rock bottom prices and believe their deep fried crap is actually good food. Seems as though they cater to the poor folks. I guess the markup on cheap food is very good.
    Same as Church's actually.

Just look around Metro Detroit. 90% of the locations are centered right in Detroit [[I only know of one in Roseville, and it's combined with a White Castle, so it doesn't really count), and all the locations are just as nasty as some are describing the Happy's Pizza locations.

Maybe Happy got the DEA chief's daughter pregnant or parked in his space.

MrSam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    And it's not even that inexpensive. I think the exponential growth [[besides the possible illegal activities) is also due to the lack of other acceptable food options besides traditional fast food. It was clean and had a standardized menu. Unfortunately, standards are pretty low in the areas where Happy's tends to thrive.
    Like the mega one in West Bloomfield hills @ maple & orchard... which stays crowded. So obvious even the well off like happs too.

Now your poor attempt to link happy's with only poor folks is foolish. Not to mention I'm almost certain that if upscale snubby West Bloomfield loves happy, I'm positive your poor piece of $hit town loves it as well!

The whole feds looking into Happys smells to me that Happys were taking chunk$$ outs of some very well connected big wigs pockets. So they called the dogs in. Happy's being now white grew to fast, being that he's only 33 is obvious a problem for bigger chains. Happy can easily go another 33 years driven his business into the likes of a mcdonalds & into the #1 pizza chain in the world!

Sadly this type of practice is how the elite wealthy american families got their wealth. Scam, rob, or killed your way into a legit business, Change americans views on you through charity.

Then buy political influence, change laws, close the loop hole/doors in which made you wealthy therefore eliminating any future competition!

Isn't that the bluprint to become an ultra elitist[[net worth 7 plus billions)in America?

One in Ann Arbor in a very tony area, one in Ypsilanti. They're everywhere, rich and poor neighborhoods alike. Have indeed wondered how they financed it all, but they seem to have picked locations intelligently as far as I can tell. The Ann Arbor location on S. Main is near any number of restaurants, but for pizza specifically they have the market cornered, and there are a lot of families and a huge apartment complex within a few blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSam View Post
    Happy's being now white grew to fast, being that he's only 33 is obvious a problem for bigger chains.
    Just what is that supposed to mean?
    Last edited by Detroitej72; September-05-10 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Just what is that supposed to mean?
    I think he's insinuating that Illich is behind the Feds being up the guys ass now.

Mr. Sam, I have a brilliant business proposal for you:
    1) We make a bunch of subprime mortgages to Detroiters.
    2) When they all default, we will take possession of the properties - for cheap!
    3) Note: We will have to structure the mortgages in a deceptive manner.
    4) Note: We will have to remember not to securitize and externalize the mortgages, we need to retain them in order to have a claim to the properties.
    5) Once in possession of these valuable properties, we will turn around and sell them to a bunch of wealthy people.
    6) Make a KILLING in the process!

We'll need a credible spokesperson to fool all of these sheeple into our cunning plan. May I suggest Jay Towers?

[[Disclaimer: No, fryar did not just learn about block busting in that other thread and is not now making light of it. Block busting was a repulsive practice, and if anyone is still sore about it, that's understandable, it was clearly an injustice. Fryar is poking light-hearted fun at threads about paranoid conspiracies involving the man sticking it to the little guy).
    Last edited by fryar; September-05-10 at 03:55 PM. Reason: disclaimer added for infrequent readers of DY

Like the mega one in West Bloomfield hills @ maple & orchard... which stays crowded. So obvious even the well off like happs too.

Now your poor attempt to link happy's with only poor folks is foolish. Not to mention I'm almost certain that if upscale snubby West Bloomfield loves happy, I'm positive your poor piece of $hit town loves it as well!

The whole feds looking into Happys smells to me that Happys were taking chunk$$ outs of some very well connected big wigs pockets. So they called the dogs in. Happy's being now white grew to fast, being that he's only 33 is obvious a problem for bigger chains. Happy can easily go another 33 years driven his business into the likes of a mcdonalds & into the #1 pizza chain in the world!

Sadly this type of practice is how the elite wealthy american families got their wealth. Scam, rob, or killed your way into a legit business, Change americans views on you through charity.

Then buy political influence, change laws, close the loop hole/doors in which made you wealthy therefore eliminating any future competition!

Isn't that the bluprint to become an ultra elitist[[net worth 7 plus billions)in America?
    So one good location cancels out all of the others? Anecdotal evidence, I suppose....

I'm not even certain what you're trying to say with my 'piece of shit town' and find the rest of your rant odd. Do you work for Happys? Know someone who does? My point still remains the food is subpar and part of it is because they can get away with it. And the quality served at the one in WB is different than the ones that I've been to in Detroit. Whether that was just a great night or not, I don't know and don't care-- I won't be going back to Happy's.

Now here's some really happy pizza: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...-cambodia.html

I had their pizza once and thought the crust tasted like cardboard.
    Can anyone else suggest a better front organization for a drug dealing operation than a late night food business with delivery services?

I'm positive your poor piece of $hit town loves it as well!
    Get back in the Range Rover and hit 8 Mile.

I haven't had Happys Pizza in a while, ever since it took them almost an hour and a half to deliver it.

If you want to complain about bad Pizza, look at Dominos and Little Caesars. Little Caesars had a good product until they changed the recipee and went to the $5 hot and ready pizzas. Dominos always sucked, even with the new recipee.

I will admit you got to give Dominos credit for coming out and saying that they had a bad product, and I actually ordered from them a few months ago to try it out.

Yeah LC and Domino's are pretty bad for sure LOL! But Happy's is still the worse [[especially that one up on Woodward near Bethune)... yeck! Just bad flavor from bad ingredients [[stale tasting dough, burnt cheap ketchup tasting sauce, silly putty cheese, substandard meat) and slow delivery. No thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I haven't had Happys Pizza in a while, ever since it took them almost an hour and a half to deliver it.

If you want to complain about bad Pizza, look at Dominos and Little Caesars. Little Caesars had a good product until they changed the recipee and went to the $5 hot and ready pizzas. Dominos always sucked, even with the new recipee.

I will admit you got to give Dominos credit for coming out and saying that they had a bad product, and I actually ordered from them a few months ago to try it out.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-06-10 at 09:11 AM.

DC48080 Guest

The old saying "You get what you pay for" certainly holds true. You want cheap pizza, especially the Little Caeser's $5.00 abomination, you're going to get garbage.

Hah! Weed-baked Cambodian pizza! LOL!

Maybe when you're high Happy's tastes good! ------
    Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Now here's some really happy pizza: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...-cambodia.html

I had their pizza once and thought the crust tasted like cardboard.
    Can anyone else suggest a better front organization for a drug dealing operation than a late night food business with delivery services?

I hear that. Perhaps the ingredients are different in WB... that would not be shocking. Many restaurant chains vary their quality from store to store. Some subtle, some big variance. Case in point: Sbarro's. Good at some malls, terrible at others [[Fairlane Mall Sbarro's is really good at this time). Happy's in Detroit is nasty.

But I do give them some props for at least opening in some areas other shops would not. I suppose they employ a few peeps here and there by doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    So one good location cancels out all of the others? Anecdotal evidence, I suppose....

I'm not even certain what you're trying to say with my 'piece of shit town' and find the rest of your rant odd. Do you work for Happys? Know someone who does? My point still remains the food is subpar and part of it is because they can get away with it. And the quality served at the one in WB is different than the ones that I've been to in Detroit. Whether that was just a great night or not, I don't know and don't care-- I won't be going back to Happy's.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-06-10 at 09:28 AM.

Yeah, that's a point... you can't expect much from a five dollar hot and ready... but Happy's is higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The old saying "You get what you pay for" certainly holds true. You want cheap pizza, especially the Little Caeser's $5.00 abomination, you're going to get garbage.

Many of you are speculating that they were selling drugs right out of their store fronts. Rumors aside, I find this highly unlikely.

If the DEA is involved, it's more likely because the company is suspected of using their cash flows to launder money for people who are behind other illegitimate activity in the area [[drugs, gambling, etc.), or something more along those lines.

On a side note, we order from their Westland location all the time and everything we've tried has been quite good. Good pizza, wings, and cheese bread.

As far as pizza in the metro area goes, they're ahead of the curve imho.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Mr. Sam, I have a brilliant business proposal for you:
    1) We make a bunch of subprime mortgages to Detroiters.
    2) When they all default, we will take possession of the properties - for cheap!
    3) Note: We will have to structure the mortgages in a deceptive manner.
    4) Note: We will have to remember not to securitize and externalize the mortgages, we need to retain them in order to have a claim to the properties.
    5) Once in possession of these valuable properties, we will turn around and sell them to a bunch of wealthy people.
    6) Make a KILLING in the process!

one problem with your scheme and overall idea of what happens

1. when you make a subprime loan for $100,000, you have to hand over that $100,000 to someone, you don't just sign the paper and someone starts making payments to you, you are LENDING the money, so it's gone, out of your pocket...

2. sure you can pick them up cheap when they default, but by definition, when they default, YOU ARE OUT YOUR $100,000

3. if these properties were so "valuable", these "wealthy" people you are going to so easily sell to would probably have made offers to the homeowners prior to your scheme....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    2. sure you can pick them up cheap when they default, but by definition, when they default, YOU ARE OUT YOUR $100,000
    That's incorrect. The borrower is personally liable for the deficiency when value of the collateral [[the house) is less than the amount due under the loan agreement.

The definition of a default is simply where the borrower fails to timely fulfill their payment obligation, which gives the lender the right to foreclose on the underlying collateral. The borrower's breach of the agreement does not relieve them of their obligation to repay the loan in full.

I'm sure the one in Bloomfield is better because they probably have friends and family that patronize that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I hear that. Perhaps the ingredients are different in WB... that would not be shocking. Many restaurant chains vary their quality from store to store. Some subtle, some big variance. Case in point: Sbarro's. Good at some malls, terrible at others [[Fairlane Mall Sbarro's is really good at this time). Happy's in Detroit is nasty.

But I do give them some props for at least opening in some areas other shops would not. I suppose they employ a few peeps here and there by doing so.
    Your absolutly right, it depends on who they hire to make the Pizzas. If they hire someone who is just there to collect a paycheck who doesn't care then the Pizzas taste like crap. The Pizza at Comerica Park is the worst!

The big difference on all of this is the ratio to sauce, cheese to how long its in the oven.

If you ever go to a pizzaria, most of them have an oven with a belt these days that cooks all the Pizzas the same. If you put the pizza in the oven at the beginning of the belt, and let it cook all the way through to the end then your fine. The problem is when these idiots who cook it can't wait for it to be done and pull it out early before it hits the end of the belt

Yeah, I hear that. I think the core ingredients make a difference too, like the that Taco Bell cheese vs 'quality' cheese... you know.........
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Your absolutly right, it depends on who they hire to make the Pizzas. If they hire someone who is just there to collect a paycheck who doesn't care then the Pizzas taste like crap. The Pizza at Comerica Park is the worst!

The big difference on all of this is the ratio to sauce, cheese to how long its in the oven.

If you ever go to a pizzaria, most of them have an oven with a belt these days that cooks all the Pizzas the same. If you put the pizza in the oven at the beginning of the belt, and let it cook all the way through to the end then your fine. The problem is when these idiots who cook it can't wait for it to be done and pull it out early before it hits the end of the belt

I too was surprised at how good the Westland location was!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast