Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I am being logical and realistic. All of you someone how think that racism in the workplace can't happen because it "illegal". Robbery and theft is illegal and it still happens. Murder is illegal and it still happens. I guess what I am trying to say here is that just because something is illegal doesn't mean people won't do it. This includes companies that conduct illegal or unethical practices without the public knowing. It takes time for these things to come out. Just like the lawsuit the SEC has against Goldman Sachs for their unethical business practices that affected unsuspecting investors, its the same sort of thing. It affects the quality of life for people that are unsuspecting of the unethical practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    LadyCEODetroit.....This is a guy that you never met before....why would you choose to believe him over logic? He's a crackpot or he's on crack or you are. No HR department would say things like that to any prospective hire. Brian is either full of $hit or you are pretty gullible to believe him.

It's been my experience that no matter how much homework I do on the subjects discussed in this forum, someone here always does more than me and on occasion sets me straight. My suggestion is to heed the opinion[[s) especially the ones agreed upon by the majority in the forum. To do otherwise might be wasting your time.

I was a "victim" of the Wells Fargo subprime mortgage problem. I like so many others was DUMB enough to believe I could afford payments on a home that was priced out of my income level.

Just my 2 cents

Oh god, someone done gone and opened Pandora's box.

Here's to another superthread...
    Last edited by 313WX; July-13-10 at 01:31 PM.

You are reading to much into that. I was not trying to say FORD itself but rather someone that works there and is involved in the hiring process. I said FORD because the person who mentioned this to Brain works for Ford and represents Ford as an employee.

And I NEVER said he didn't get hired. NEVER not once.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Just reread your first post. In later posts, you said the man was involved in the hiring process at the plants involved. On a more careful reading of your initial post, I find this:

The guy was trying to get hired at Ford and was told BY FORD that they were only hiring a quota? I absolutely do not believe that. This guy is pissed that he didn't get hired and is either outright lying or taking something that was said out of context.
    Why would he lie? He didn't get hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummmm... has it even occurred to you that using Detroit proper is a bad example to use.... there are NO Ford employees WORKING in Detroit. Since Ford moved out of the RenCen, they have virtually no presence in Detroit proper.
    Beat me to it, Gistock. I have no idea what plant she thinks she's talking about.

I wasn't aware of any Ford plants located in Detroit, and almost all of their administrative offices are located on the Dearborn campus.

Are you going to clear up the question of who was actually told this information? Was it Brian? Was it someone Brian knows, someone you've never met but trust implicitly based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCeoDetroit View Post
    You are reading to much into that. I was not trying to say FORD itself but rather someone that works there and is involved in the hiring process. I said FORD because the person who mentioned this to Brain works for Ford and represents Ford as an employee.

And I NEVER said he didn't get hired. NEVER not once.
    Well, did he get hired? And you said he went to Ford plants. Who else would be doing the hiring, and allegedly telling Brian that they are hiring by race, than someone who represents Ford. I didn't think Hank was out there taking resumes.

Default EEOC Requirements

Ok, let me weigh in here.....
    I believe that EEOC requirements stipulate that the racial makeup of the workplace should reflect the surrounding community; therefore it does make a difference where each plant is located. By virtue of these requirements; employers, while not specifically using quotas, will look for employees [[assuming they meet the minimum requirements for the open positions) of a certain racial group. If they are out of compliance, they need to show proof that they recruited for employees in areas and medias specificially targeted at the racial group they are seeking to hire [[i.e. want ads in black community newspapers, etc).

The charges of racist hiring practices in the past have brought us to this point where while we do not have actual "quotas", employers are required to reflect the racial makeup of the surrounding community. An employer could be subject to fines and punishments if they do not either reflect the community racial makeup or cannot show evidence of recruiting in the proper areas to attain the proper racial makeup. Now it looks like that might be "backfiring", and complaints are arising again.

Look, I gotta believe that no one in an HR capacity would ever overtly say that we're hiring a specific number of a certain race. It has been ingrained into them that this type of a statement is a no-no. Also, every sizeable company has put their management groups through countless hours and days of sensitivity, diversity, and HR training to ensure statements like this are not made. This training has been both goverment required and expensive, but it's gotta be done.

LadyCEO, I'm willing to bet that the heresay you have received [[that is how it would be looked upon in court and therefore inadmissable), is simply a misintrepretation of a statement made to a potential job candidate.

How is my credibility tarnished with you? Do we happen to know each other? If not, I really could careless what you think of me. I am still investigating the matter. Once that is complete, I will provide an update here. I don't care what you people say or think of me because I posted this. This needs to be known. Point. Blank. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Why do you believe a third-hand story to the degree that you would repeat it on the Internet where you know it can take on a life of its own? Neither you nor the person who told you this story have any knowledge of the truth of any part of this story. You're putting your credibility on the line based on the words of someone you have never met? Are you serious?

"Or did he speak to someone involved in the hiring process and they told him that there were racial quotas?"

Almost right. The person who told him was invovled in the hiring process at BOTH of these PARTICULAR Ford plants.

I went back and read your original post and I have a question. Did the man you speak to actually speak to someone in the hiring process at two Ford plants and was told at two Ford plants that there was this racial quota? Or did he speak to someone involved in the hiring process and they told him that there were racial quotas?

Hmmm...you are correct. I should have said based SOLELY on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I would say that if you hired in that manner it would be racist against the white folks. Since there are more of them in the population [[Metro Detroit) than blacks that would show favoritism towards blacks.

Hire based on ability.

I think you are missing the point. Once again my argument was not based on percentages. When I discussed that beforehand I was responding to bartock.

My position is this: WHY THE HECK IS RACE A FACTOR AT ALL?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    "Region" not "city"

The region is 80-20 white-black. If you want a racial spoils system, you are only entitled to 20 per cent.

Well, if race isn't a factor at all, then what does it matter how many black and how many white are hired?

I said I meant Metro Detroit. I also apologized that I did not say that initially. METRO DETROIT PEOPLE. I repeat METRO DETROIT.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Beat me to it, Gistock. I have no idea what plant she thinks she's talking about.

I wasn't aware of any Ford plants located in Detroit, and almost all of their administrative offices are located on the Dearborn campus.

"Almost right. The person who told him was invovled in the hiring process at BOTH of these PARTICULAR Ford plants. "

Based on the third-hand comments of someone you have never met, you're willing to go around and repeat those comments despite the fact that you have never verified any of the facts of the situation? You can't tell us what jobs or what plants or even the name of the person who made these claims to "Brian" but you're willing to repeat that to anyone who will listen?

Listen again to what you're claiming. We're supposed to believe that a person who's high enough in the Ford organization to be in charge of hiring at two different Ford plants goes around openly telling potential job applicants that Ford's hiring based on race?

LOL. I see a trend with you. You like to provide insults in your responses. I already replied.

Are you going to clear up the question of who was actually told this information? Was it Brian? Was it someone Brian knows, someone you've never met but trust implicitly based on what?

I guess I'm not sure why everyone is getting wound up by what a car salesman said...

Seriously - he's a car salesman. It's his job to bullshit.

I think you interpreting this incorrectly. I said race should NOT be a factor so why are they hiring "30 white guys and 15 black guys".

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Well, if race isn't a factor at all, then what does it matter how many black and how many white are hired?

I think you are missing the point. Once again my argument was not based on percentages. When I discussed that beforehand I was responding to bartock.

My position is this: WHY THE HECK IS RACE A FACTOR AT ALL?
    I agree. Let's get rid of affirmative action so those whites are not discriminated against!

He is not a car salesman. He sold me a car that he had and was not using anymore. He does not work at a car dealership. Never stated that he did. READ. THOROUGHLY.

Quote Originally Posted by amika View Post
    I guess I'm not sure why everyone is getting wound up by what a car salesman said...

Seriously - he's a car salesman. It's his job to bullshit.
    Last edited by LadyCeoDetroit; July-13-10 at 02:07 PM.

The issue at hand is that they were hiring "30 white guys and 15 black guys". Race shouldn't be a factor. I don't believe in racism against any race including against white people.

And wasn't affirmative action already eliminated in Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I agree. Let's get rid of affirmative action so those whites are not discriminated against!

This thread is disintegrating, and I suggest we step away from the keyboard and regroup at a later time.

Worst. Thread. Ever.

I stated in a previous post that I contacted Brian and I am awaiting a response. He is going to give me the location of both plants.

I never said the person who told him was high up in the company. I said he was apart of the hiring process at these particular plants. I also said, that Brian implied that he was familiar with the person who told him this. Its apparent that the person trusted Brian with this little tid-bit of information.

"Almost right. The person who told him was invovled in the hiring process at BOTH of these PARTICULAR Ford plants. "

Based on the third-hand comments of someone you have never met, you're willing to go around and repeat those comments despite the fact that you have never verified any of the facts of the situation? You can't tell us what jobs or what plants or even the name of the person who made these claims to "Brian" but you're willing to repeat that to anyone who will listen?

Listen again to what you're claiming. We're supposed to believe that a person who's high enough in the Ford organization to be in charge of hiring at two different Ford plants goes around openly telling potential job applicants that Ford's hiring based on race?

I stated in a previous post that I contacted Brian and I am awaiting a response. He is going to give me the location of both plants.

I never said the person who told him was high up in the company. I said he was apart of the hiring process at these particular plants. I also said, that Brian implied that he was familiar with the person who told him this. Its apparent that the person trusted Brian with this little tid-bit of information.
    Well, looks like he shouldn't have trusted Brian, then

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast