Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

This is about the most blatant abuse of trolling I've ever seen. Danny- you are out of your f*ckin mind.

And FYI, almost half of Corktown IS BLACK.

And while we're at it, the people who are now running the Bagley-Trumbull Market have dumped thousands into that store to make it more desireable to passer-bys. And it's working, cuz they're making more money this summer than that store has in years. Do you even go into that place to buy anything? Apparently not, so while you spew divisive crap about a proud Detroit neighborhood entertaining your "succession" fantasies, why don't you try shopping locally for a change?

Like at our LOCAL grocer, you know cuz we supposidly don't have one. It's called HONEY BEE, on the Corktown- Mexicantown border who we're proud to call our closest western neighborhood, on Bagley behind the MCS, voted the best independant grocer in the ENTIRE CITY.

If you hate being apart of Detroit so much, LEAVE.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; June-28-10 at 11:05 PM.

Default Who would be mayor of Corktown, Steve Palmer?...

Is he still living in Woodbridge? Even so, Steve Palmer could be a world beater in lil' ol' Corktown.

And if Corktown became a city-state, would we have to include Elena Herrada and her histrionic takes on the Border Patrol as being akin to the KKK?
    Last edited by Al Publican; June-29-10 at 01:04 AM.

The fact you are taking one of Danny's "idea" posts as blatant abuse and so seriously is funny. He is definitely not trolling btw.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    This is about the most blatant abuse of trolling I've ever seen. Danny- you are out of your f*ckin mind.

And FYI, almost half of Corktown IS BLACK.

And while we're at it, the people who are now running the Bagley-Trumbull Market have dumped thousands into that store to make it more desireable to passer-bys. And it's working, cuz they're making more money this summer than that store has in years. Do you even go into that place to buy anything? Apparently not, so while you spew divisive crap about a proud Detroit neighborhood entertaining your "succession" fantasies, why don't you try shopping locally for a change?

Like at our LOCAL grocer, you know cuz we supposidly don't have one. It's called HONEY BEE, on the Corktown- Mexicantown border who we're proud to call our closest western neighborhood, on Bagley behind the MCS, voted the best independant grocer in the ENTIRE CITY.

If you hate being apart of Detroit so much, LEAVE.
    Many people already have. Asking people to leave Detroit is kind of like throwing out people out the theatre after the movie is done.

School districts are a separate issue from incorperation. Setting up a school district would not be a requirement for an independant Corktown.

Having said that, it's the costs that would kill you. Is there enough tax base to support a local government? If there is, how are you going to finance the establishment of a fire, police, public works and parks department? Who would handle water and sewer? Assuming you could buy the infrasturcture from the city of Detroit, how would you pay for it? A new sewer system [[including treatment plant) for my little town of 900 is costing us about $8m.

Creating a new town would not be an easy thing to do....

Quote Originally Posted by FerndaleDamon View Post
    McDanny- it ain't happenin' laddie!
    It could. In Chicago's far Northwest Side, In 1948, a sub-division named Norridge was about to be annexed by Chicago when a local improvement association moved to incorporate as a village, ending the city's effort to incorporate it. [[According to Cook County Records). The residents of Corktown can have the power to break away from Detroit. Only the have to do is develop their city government and make a petition of appeal to the State Boundry Commission. They can do it.

No they can't. Nothing in state law allows a city to be created from within the boundaries of an existing incorporated city. You're off in fantasyland Danny.

Douglasm wrote:
    >>how would you pay for it? A new sewer system [[including treatment plant) for my little town of 900 is costing us about $8m.

They don't need that. They are just going to do a hell of a lot of composting. Everyone will have gardens fertilized by their neighbors. It will be utiopia.

Maybe they could get the Federal Government to set up a fence and border patrol ... uh, maybe not.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's a great idea. High-income people deciding that they're not going to be part of the city ...
    I started reading this and thought high income people in CORKTOWN but then I read the rest and got what you meant.

High income people in corktown?--now that is funny

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    I started reading this and thought high income people in CORKTOWN but then I read the rest and got what you meant.

High income people in corktown?--now that is funny
    Well, relative to the rest of Detroit, sure. The Corktown neighborhood ain't cheap by Detroit standards, and that's because it's one of the few neighborhoods that attracts residents of choice.

Of course, you don't really care. You're just trolling. So go jump in a lake.

What about the guy who has started a petition to change the name and slogan of Corktown officially to "SLOWS Neighborhood - Home of Corktown"? I believe he has started a Facebook group and is gaining members and much support.

Also [[Al Publican), the west side of Corktown is the more affluent/bourgeoisie part of the SLOWS Neighborhood as they are for one, closer to SLOWS [[duh), have more in ground sprinkler systems installed, use more chemically nitrogen enhanced fertilizers, and have more homes "restored" to guidelines/specifications required by Detroit's local Historic Designation Advisory board.

All signs of a properly, albeit hopelessly SLOWS, takeover by [[the EGF) Evil Gentrification Forces.

That's a great idea. High-income people deciding that they're not going to be part of the city and instead use "home rule" to create dozens of governments with their own police, fire and school boards. That way, they won't have to have their money go to anybody else.

Oh, wait. That's what we've been doing for 85 years ...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Funny shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    The fact you are taking one of Danny's "idea" posts as blatant abuse and so seriously is funny. He is definitely not trolling btw.
    Not trolling? That's all this guy does on DYes. I never said blatant abuse, you did.

Many people already have. Asking people to leave Detroit is kind of like throwing out people out the theatre after the movie is done.
    Just stating my two sense, being that I live in Corktown. Thought that was what the point. If you don't like it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    No they can't. Nothing in state law allows a city to be created from within the boundaries of an existing incorporated city. You're off in fantasyland Danny.
    That is why the Michigan Annexation law of 1948 can be appealed.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Free Corktown for Neda's sake.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Not trolling? That's all this guy does on DYes.
    Trolling is consciously and intentionally inflammatory. Danny is just being Danny.

Appeal away Danny. There's no way that law is going to be changed to allow Corktown to do anything.

What became of the Maltese family that owned the Bagley-Trumbull market? Are they in biz elsewhere?
    JStone, what does SLOWS stand for?

as a concerned corktowner I feel your frustration.

but

'Corktown, Corktowns oldest neighborhood since 2010' just doesn't have the same ring.

That is why it would be - 'Slows, Corktown's Oldest Neighborhood since 2010'

Al - It doesn't stand for anything as far as I know.

Stimulating
    Land
    Ownership
    With
    Smoked
    BAR-B-Q

Stimulating
    Land
    Ownership
    With
    Smoked
    BAR-B-Q
    Bahhhaa Detroitnerd.

Maybe Corktown should surround itself with a concrete wall and set up a special taxing district for police, schools and [[volunteer) fire dept. Can you say gated community?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Trolling is consciously and intentionally inflammatory. Danny is just being Danny.
    LOL... thanks Bear... I was waiting for a voice of reason to kick in... that saves me from using the "anyone with at least 50 posts and half a brain" comment...

Danny... who by the way for those at this years and last years Forum picnic would have noticed... is indeed African-American....

Danny is in a sort of way the DYES resident mascot.... he's been around here for what seems like forever... he's special... so don't take his sometimes odd comments too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Maybe I just don't share this guys brand of humor when it comes to "black problems."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Free Corktown for Neda's sake.
    I wonder if this isn't an inadvertent overstatement of the importance of Corktown's freedom to Neda Soltan.

JStone et al, I thought "SLOWS" had something to do with the former Wayne County Sheriff Bill Lucas's take on Detroit in the '80s when he referred to the city's state of existence as "the slow riot." Being in the midst of that existence then both in residence and employment, I thought the Lucas's quip was fitting. Plus, it tickled me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Bahhhaa Detroitnerd.

Maybe Corktown should surround itself with a concrete wall and set up a special taxing district for police, schools and [[volunteer) fire dept. Can you say gated community?
    Haha. Interestingly, Hamtramck's perennial mayoral candidate, Richard Fabizak, once proposed building a wall around Hamtramck.

He says he's ready to run again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY97gBIeDV8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast