"Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, proposed yesterday that people seeking unemployment benefits or welfare undergo drug tests before they can receive benefits.

"Too many Americans are locked into a life of a dangerous dependency not only on drugs, but the federal assistance that serves to enable their addiction," Hatch said in announcing the proposal. "This amendment is a way to help people get off of drugs to become productive and healthy members of society, while ensuring that valuable taxpayer dollars aren't wasted."

The proposal comes in the form of an amendment to a bill now being considered to extend tax breaks and social programs; it mandates that if someone fails the drug test, "then states could enroll them in either a state or federal drug treatment program," according to a release from Hatch's office. It is not clear whether or not the person could face jail time.

Hatch suggests such a system would save money and reduce the deficit, presumably by virtue of withholding benefits from those who fail drug tests. His release does not address the costs of drug testing everyone receiving unemployment or welfare benefits or enrolling those who fail the test in treatment programs."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...29-503544.html
--------------

As I see another thread on this board, I too am tired. I'm tired of a government who is suddenly concerned with the deficit when it comes to helping out the American people, but not bat an eye when it comes to helping out corporations or banks. Now people who are unemployed through no fault of their own are suddenly suspected of being drug users?? Unemployment extensions still have not been passed, they have been expired since May 31st. The House had passed the bill on May 28th, but is still stuck in the Senate.