I agree that the article was not very well thought out. For example, blaming the high rate of "illegitimate" births to tax-funded schools does not make sense, otherwise the illegitimacy rate would be just as high among non-Detroiters educated at tax-funded schools. So, something else is to blame.

But I agree with the general premise of the article: that government intervention has done more harm than good. And yet, to this day, Detroiters still believe that it is the governments' responsibility to improve the city. The truth is that it is not the government that makes a city great, it is the people. And when the people don't even have enough responsibility to take care of themselves and their offspring, then it is no wonder they neglect their neighborhoods and city.

What is most troubling of this thread, however, is the reluctance of some to discuss this issue. This article has everything to do with Detroit, and to relegate it to the Non-Detroit forum would be yet another denial that Detroit has some serious problems that must be addressed.

I think the obstinacy of Detroiters who are unable to visualize a better future is typified in this golden nugget of Detroit wisdom:

Quote Originally Posted by bearinabox
Oh, fuck you.