Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: race- maybe?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why did blacks follow. It reminds me of that 1960's song "I will follow him".What are black going to do to improve their own neighborhoods? Some individuals who are beginning to take a stand in certain aereas in the city. That stand should had been taken in the 1980s when crack cocaine and teenage drug gangs were running rampant. The neighborhood would had been stablelized. The bad guys ran out of town. The flight of middle class blacks were also the problem in Detroit during the 1980s also. The black middle class should had stayed behind a help build their own communities. They should had demand that good groceries stores open in the neighborhoods. Better schools and services. That is how a neighborhood is maintained. Detroiters let Coleman Young get away with murder. My friend had once said "Blacks don't mind getting f@#k in the butt as long as the d&#k in black. I disagree with that. I do believe that the black leaders weren't harshly challenged during the Coleman Young regime during the 70's and 80s
    Why do black people have to be responsible to every single other black person? I don't get it. Other people are looked at and responsible to themselves and their families. Black people are the only ones who get lumped in as one group.

Why did the black middle class have an extra responsibility to stay in Detroit, but other middle classes of other races could move anywhere they wanted? Are you saying that black people are less free to choose their lifestyle?

Why does race have to be the reason why people choose to associate with each other? Maybe black middle class people feel that they have more in common with middle class people of any race than with poor people. No one asks the white middle class to live in trailer parks or berates them for not doing so.

As for what your friend said about black people, I hear horrible things about white people every day. Even if others say them, I choose not to pass them on, and I berate those who say things like that. But then again, I'm a lady and I was raised to have manners. What did you say when your friend said that? I hope you told him that his words were offensive and inaccurate.

Final word: If all black people have to be responsible for the actions of all other black people, then all white people have to be responsible for racism.

Both premises are absolutely ridiculous.
    Last edited by English; February-25-10 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Why do black people have to be responsible to every single other black person? I don't get it. Other people are looked at and responsible to themselves and their families. Black people are the only ones who get lumped in as one group.

Why did the black middle class have an extra responsibility to stay in Detroit, but other middle classes of other races could move anywhere they wanted? Are you saying that black people are less free to choose their lifestyle?

Why does race have to be the reason why people choose to associate with each other? Maybe black middle class people feel that they have more in common with middle class people of any race than with poor people. No one asks the white middle class to live in trailer parks or berates them for not doing so.

As for what your friend said about black people, I hear horrible things about white people every day. Even if others say them, I choose not to pass them on, and I berate those who say things like that. But then again, I'm a lady and I was raised to have manners. What did you say when your friend said that? I hope you told him that his words were offensive and inaccurate.

Final word: If all black people have to be responsible for the actions of all other black people, then all white people have to be responsible for racism.

Both premises are absolutely ridiculous.
    You have to remember; you go to a majority white school, you will likely work for a white company, you probably will live in a safe majority white neighborhood so let us not discount all whites as being racist or blame all whites for racsim. Could you blame racism or whites for former Mayor Kilpatrick giving most of the city contracts to his buddy Fergerson? Could you blame racsim for the dope dealer on Detroit's street or the gang called the Stomp Out Kings attacking elderly men? Come on. Let us have a reasonable discussion and not say anything unsensible just to vent frustrations