Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This whole thing reminds me of the way the Tiger Woods incident didn't add up at first, then a bigger scandal followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Route29 View Post
    I think it is worth noting that Pugh lives by Lafayette Park [[1300 if I'm not mistaken? Correct me if I'm wrong) which is less than 2 miles from I-75 and Mack.

I would have driven home that extra mile and a half than sit around and wait for god only knows what god only knows when.

His actions would be much more suspect if he tried to haul his ass all the way over to Rosedale or Palmer Woods or something.

This seems to be very plausible. Given the previous 4 years, the conspiracy junkies are in full bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by trstar View Post
    This seems to be very plausible. Given the previous 4 years, the conspiracy junkies are in full bloom.
    Doesn't seem plausible to me at all, he had to know everyone was going to think there was alcohol involved if he waited to report this accident.

Its not a big deal, the same thing happened to me when I was a kid. I was cut off on 94 and lost control of my car after swerving to avoid an accident. I went up the side of the freeway, and came back down with a flat tire as well. I drove to a firestone repair shop, got my tire fixed and went home. The person who cut me off never stopped, didnt call the cops or wait around either, what was the point? I wasn't drinking...it was an accident plain and simple

The difference is that Mr. Pugh was not driving his personal vehicle. You decided for yourself. Using your own money. Mr. Pugh decided to use your money.

Hmmn, now that's a point!
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsua View Post
    This whole thing reminds me of the way the Tiger Woods incident didn't add up at first, then a bigger scandal followed.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The difference is that Mr. Pugh was not driving his personal vehicle. You decided for yourself. Using your own money. Mr. Pugh decided to use your money.
    True. And by leaving the scene of the crime he violated Detroit city ordinances regarding accidents while driving city owned vehicles. he also violated state law because he damaged/destroyed state property [[the traffic sign) and left the scene. So it may very well be a big deal, we'll see. I now doubt that this will just go away for Pugh.

Buy American Guest

Mr. Pugh should have this framed and put on a wall in his office at City Hall...

"Ignorance of the law excuses no man: Not that all men know the law, but because 'tis an excuse every man will plead, and no man can tell how to refute him.
    John Selden
    English antiquarian & jurist [[1584 - 1654) "

Given what this City and region has endured during Kilpatrick's time in power, I am surprised that some people seem so ready to write this incident off as "no big deal". It reminds me of how some of KK's early transgressions were written off as "no big deal" and claimed to be blown out of proportion by the media.

Pugh's past associations with KK as well as his own checkered past make it impossible for me to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

I hope that he doesnt ask for a SUV. Using durability as an excuse of getting one. Didn't he get kicked out of Trolly Plaza Apt for not paying his rent? Hasn't he foreclosed on a condo on Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I hope that he doesnt ask for a SUV. Using durability as an excuse of getting one. Didn't he get kicked out of Trolly Plaza Apt for not paying his rent? Hasn't he foreclosed on a condo on Woodward?
    According to news reports prior to the election, Pugh had received 11 eviction notices from Trolley Plaza between 2001 and 2005, but was able to avoid eviction by paying the late rent after receiving the notice. I don't know if he ever go to the point of actually being evicted.

His Woodward condo was in foreclosure at last report, but after the election Pugh claimed that he was negotiating new payment terms with the mortgage company. I'm not sure what the latest is on that.

I've always wondered how Pugh is going to pay his bills on 80 grand a year when he couldn't pay them on 200K.

Buy American Guest

I hope Steve Wilson keeps close tabs on this one...don't let it get buried.

So, now that the strip club vote is over do you think this incident will be hitting the fan? The preachers didn't get all they wanted so they are likely to turn vengeful. They already oppose Pugh over the gay issue.

Such a small matter for people to get vindictive over. Police no longer respond to accidents. It is plain and simple, unless there is injury or death.

He is gay...so what. He had some personal financial issues...so what.

I didn't vote for him but not willing to throw stones. Lets just see if he can be effective in office. If he turns out to be corrupt, I'll be the first to caste that stone but this just seems to be a very minor issue.

Buy American Guest

[quote=sumas;123455]Such a small matter for people to get vindictive over.
    quote]

I'm not being vindictive and I could care less that he is gay. He ran for public office and is now a public official...he is accountable to the citizens of Detroit for what he does or doesn't do. He had an accident, totalled a city-owned car, didn't report it for three days. In my opinion, it is a big deal. Is he going to be another one of these Detroit politicians who thinks he is above the law? If the taxpayers don't get a handle on this before it gets swept under the rug, it will continue....and why will it continue....because he can get away with it with no repercussions!

Another reason it is no small deal is that since it was a city-owned vehicle by leaving the scene and not reporting the accident immediately he vioated city ordinances regarding the use of city vehicles, and disciplinary action can be taken. I wonder who initiates disciplinary action in city council - the mayor's office? the council body? city attorneys?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    He had some personal financial issues...so what.
    That's a pretty lengthy record of personal finance issues, and yeah, it reflects on responsibility, ability to balance a budget and many other qualities you want in a political leader. I don't think Charlie's that bad, but "So what" is why Detroit's gotten the leadership it has.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    I don't think Charlie's that bad, but "So what" is why Detroit's gotten the leadership it has.
    Well said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3