Lowell , it sounds like you were in Highland Park , to know about the paymaster tunnel at Manufacturers bank. It hand a hand crank that would send a metal paybox under the street over to the Model T plant to pay the workers.

lalynch, I worked at the EEE bldg. later renamed POEE bldg for many years and those tunnels were fascinating to go down into. In later years , there sure were some big rats living down in them. There was also a short tunnel that led from the basement of the EEE bldg out to the parking lot near the power house and unto a freight elevator that was right next to a railroad siding that was brought onto the parking lot. The freight elevator had the two folding metal doors that laid flat in the parking lot and split open as the elevator came up. I think the elevator was taken out in the 80's maybe.
From what I know , when Henry and Clara would go on a train trip in their private railroad car, they would go down the freight elevator that was in the EEE bldg. then walk through the tunnel over to the other freight elevator next to the rail siding and come up next to the railroad car and get in.
Now the EEE bldg. is closed up with Henry Ford's old office inside and the Henry Ford Museum controls the bldg. I am not sure what they are going to do with it.? It was a neat bldg. for sure inside.