Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Memo from an ex-Detroiter

Haven't posted for a while, but got the bug to post a few random thoughts for y'all to digest today.

1. Moved from 48 years in Detroit [[save a couple of war time years in Dearborn) to southern Nevada in 1984.

2. Barely a day has passed when I've not thought about the metro Detroit area since that time.

3. Yes, have returned to Michigan nearly every year since. Always look forward to vacations in Michigan, but usually don't venture into the City limits. Shame on me.

4. Computer takes me to DetroitYes daily and I rarely miss a post. Don't respond all that often, but then I guess I'm really an outlander now.

5. Being a retired Detroit PD, I keep up with the DPD retiree's news, and try to stay with the general news from the area as well.

6. I have warm memories of Jerry Cavanagh, Roman Gribbs, and John Nichols.

7. The Tigers, Lions, and Wings will be "my teams" to the day I die. Never cared a whit for basketball, but may the Pistons fare well in the future.

8. I sure hope they do something nice with the boarded up Monnier School. Great memories at that building with the yellow brick. Alas, Mackenzie as I knew it is history.

9. Wonder whatever happened to a few dozen young ladies I had crushes on back in 1950?

10. I'm forever grateful for DetroitYes for helping me to restore so many of these thoughts. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    ... 6. I have warm memories of Jerry Cavanagh, Roman Gribbs, and John Nichols....
    Oh, that John Nichols. Disambiguation:

1973 was the year my dad retired from DPD and we moved to Almont; my friends went around Detroit and stole all the John Nichols for Mayor signs they could find, brought them up to Almont and put them on our lawn. My dad forever blamed them for Nichols losing to Coleman Young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Haven't posted for a while, but got the bug to post a few random thoughts for y'all to digest today.

6. I have warm memories of Jerry Cavanagh, Roman Gribbs, and John Nichols.

Hey Ray!! Good to hear from you! Fond memories of our DYes Meetup with you at the Detroit Brewing Company. Fond memories of the DYes Forum of old. Time marches on! Be well!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    1973 was the year my dad retired from DPD and we moved to Almont.
    Another 'small world' find. My wife was born in Almont!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Hey Ray!! Good to hear from you! Fond memories of our DYes Meetup with you at the Detroit Brewing Company. Fond memories of the DYes Forum of old. Time marches on! Be well!!
    Darn, it's so nice to be remembered! Yes, fond memories indeed. Sorry to say I've not been back to the old town for three years now. Wife could not make the trip any more. But she's otherwise well.

Hi, Ray!!!

Stromberg2

Hey, Strom! Always great to hear from the old timers of this site!