Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Part of the urban revival seen in recent years is due to people actually wanting to live downtown, and not just work downtown and drive back to the suburbs. Bedrock's projects are mostly mixed-use. So even if this WFH doomsday scenarios actually end up materializing, demand for downtown residential space should still persist.

I see a lot of "thought leaders" who can afford a separate room for an office and high-speed internet declaring the death of working from an office, but I think there is a silent majority of people who prefer the separation of work and home. People are ok dealing with this now, because we have few other options, but when the pandemic is over, I expect people will want some return to normalcy.

Also, I wish the Earthlink Cam that was on the Little Caesar's HQ still worked; it would be nice to see the progress of the new TCF building.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I see a lot of "thought leaders" who can afford a separate room for an office and high-speed internet declaring the death of working from an office, but I think there is a silent majority of people who prefer the separation of work and home. People are ok dealing with this now, because we have few other options, but when the pandemic is over, I expect people will want some return to normalcy.
    I agree with this. It's been my experience most people would rather work at the office than from home. Most people's homes aren't designed for comfortably working on a computer/on the phone. Plus, quite honestly, home is more of a distraction for most people, especially those with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    I agree with this. It's been my experience most people would rather work at the office than from home. Most people's homes aren't designed for comfortably working on a computer/on the phone. Plus, quite honestly, home is more of a distraction for most people, especially those with kids.
    You'd be surprised. When I was working at the phone company as a computer analyst, we were allowed to work from home 2 days a week. Everyone in our office [[with or without children) took to working from home their allotted 2 days.

Commute time and weather conditions [[in winter) were important considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post

Also, I wish the Earthlink Cam that was on the Little Caesar's HQ still worked; it would be nice to see the progress of the new TCF building.
    I actually shared a link on page 6 of this thread to a different forum that has pretty recent pics of the TCF site and the crane is indeed up. Forgot to caption the link. I don’t think anyone clicked through. Probably thought I was spamming the thread or whatever. Scroll all the way to the bottom. You’re welcome.

https://imgur.com/1BqjmrN

Here’s a better view of the crane. Found this on skyscraperpage today.

We're spoiled with that daily feed from the Hudson's site... but when is someone going to get a cam on this one???

Quote Originally Posted by WSUAlum98 View Post
    We're spoiled with that daily feed from the Hudson's site... but when is someone going to get a cam on this one???
    Here's a starter. By chance I was downtown yesterday day. It appears that substantial foundation work has been done.

Name:  tcf-construction.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  111.8 KB
    click/tap image for larger view

I walked by the crane today and past another guy admiring it in awe. Looked at him and said, “what a beautiful sight”. He replIed, “yes it is”.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I walked by the crane today and past another guy admiring it in awe. Looked at him and said, “what a beautiful sight”. He replIed, “yes it is”.
    This short, happy story brought me joy. Thank you!

Here are some updates on the tcf HQ.

This is from 10/24:
    Attachment 40991

This is from 10/31:
    Attachment 40992

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Here are some updates on the tcf HQ.

This is from 10/24:
    Attachment 40991

This is from 10/31:
    Attachment 40992

Thank you for the photo updates. This project seems to fly under the radar, and it is nice to see it progress.

There used to be a webcam that was capturing the progress on the new Little Caesar’s HQ, and the screen capture was wide enough to see what was happening on the TCF site. Unfortunately that webcam was turned off in April 2020, so it has been hard to see updates on this for those of us not living downtown.

Anyway, very nice to see this one going vertical as well.

Build that bank HQ up Chemical Bank. COVID-19 will not stop their progress.

Update as of 5/15 of the Chemical Bank/TCF/Huntington Bank HQ:

Attachment 41472

Attachment 41472
    Thanks for the image! Looks like 12 out of 20 floors have their steel frame. Love the street wall effect.

Attachment 41472
    Thanks for the image! Looks like 12 out of 20 floors have their steel frame. Love the street wall effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I count 13.

One more floor and it’ll be roughly equal in height to the Fyfe, Palms and Fox. I always found it interesting how the three are about the same height. It’ll be nice having Huntington rising above the rest there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    One more floor and it’ll be roughly equal in height to the Fyfe, Palms and Fox. I always found it interesting how the three are about the same height. It’ll be nice having Huntington rising above the rest there, though.
    It will add to the wonderful view along the west side of Woodward Ave. looking north from lower Woodward, once the 20 story tower is done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; May-16-21 at 04:08 AM.

^ Lower Woodward is so vastly improved since that photo it's pretty insane!

I don't understand for the life of me though why they cut down all those trees that were nearing maturity?? urgh, why!

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    ^ Lower Woodward is so vastly improved since that photo it's pretty insane!

I don't understand for the life of me though why they cut down all those trees that were nearing maturity?? urgh, why!
    Were they ash trees? That would be why a seemingly healthy looking street tree was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Were they ash trees? That would be why a seemingly healthy looking street tree was removed.
    No, I believe they were Locust trees... probably the favorite tree for planting downtown. Locust are very fast growing, and have very small leaves so they still allow sunlight to filter thru to the ground. And also... the city seems to love cutting them down once they hit 20 ft. or so.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    No, I believe they were Locust trees... probably the favorite tree for planting downtown.

Locust are very fast growing, and have very small leaves so they still allow sunlight to filter thru to the ground. And also... the city seems to love cutting them down once they hit 20 ft. or so.

The merger with Huntington is now complete. Details in the Free Press.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...er/7616506002/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast