Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Dr. Carson may have noticed that the war on poverty, based on the 'immense literature' has accomplished nearly nothing, and if anything, has destroyed black society.
    The consistent invoking of the "war on poverty" hobgoblin by the right is so ahistorical that its ridiculous. Nixon essentially killed off the War on Poverty in the early '70s, in the process of undoing much of what the Johnson administration did. And it's been mostly downhill from there, under Republican and Democratic presidents alike.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The consistent invoking of the "war on poverty" hobgoblin by the right is so ahistorical that its ridiculous. Nixon essentially killed off the War on Poverty in the early '70s, in the process of undoing much of what the Johnson administration did. And it's been mostly downhill from there, under Republican and Democratic presidents alike.
    You are right that I descended into hyperbole. But let's both not all into talking points.

The point I was making is that poverty reduction efforts to date have not helped. We can choose to double-down under the assumption that we just need to spend more money to do it right, or we can respect alternative voices.

One of my favorite moments of each day is noticing just how conservative the Democratic party can be. Charters? No way. We just need more of the same, please. Poverty? Too bad we haven't spent enough because of those evil Republicans. If we could just spend more, and increase benefits all will be great. Uber to allow poor people to earn a little extra money? No way. More licensing and insurance so we can protect the status quo.

Funny how the left is so conservative. And funny how the right now has become the real progressive party -- if you're interested in results and not just feeling good about yourself and all you've done to solve poverty -- which you haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Funny how the left is so conservative. And funny how the right now has become the real progressive party -- if you're interested in results and not just feeling good about yourself and all you've done to solve poverty -- which you haven't.
    Just in case this thread weren't quite absurd and delusional enough, we have this.

Yes, clearly the Trump disaster is all about "results" and the bigots and dummies of America desperately wanting the feds to solve poverty and inequality.

No doubt Trump/Bannon and the cast of White House clowns, grifters and crazies are laser-focused on the minutiae of federal social policy, and effecting positive change for poor Americans. Glad we got that out of the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Just in case this thread weren't quite absurd and delusional enough, we have this.

Yes, clearly the Trump disaster is all about "results" and the bigots and dummies of America desperately wanting the feds to solve poverty and inequality.

No doubt Trump/Bannon and the cast of White House clowns, grifters and crazies are laser-focused on the minutiae of federal social policy, and effecting positive change for poor Americans. Glad we got that out of the way...
    I am not impressed by President Trump. His 'cast of WH clowns' seem weak too.

Yet when I look at the mess we've made of urban social policy, I am open to new ideas.

The road under Trump is very bumpy. But at least there's some hope for new ideas, not just the old retreads. So yes, there's hope for change.