Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I've honestly never heard of this [[doesn't surprise me). Can you explain?
    I don't think he can, because it sounds totally made up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I don't think he can, because it sounds totally made up.
    Yeah I wanna call BS as well.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    No, whatever is next needs to be new to the metro area. Like a Uniqlo, Muji, Zara or Topshop.
    Are those vendors that set up shop in the Eastern Market on Sundays?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    No, whatever is next needs to be new to the metro area. Like a Uniqlo, Muji, Zara or Topshop.
    I will like to see a Microsoft store, Urban Outfitters, H&M, Uniqlo, Cartier, Levi, Apple store, Hugo, Polo and few restaurants such as Outback Steakhouse, TGIFriday etc... All on Woodward

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Are those vendors that set up shop in the Eastern Market on Sundays?
    No, they are mostly fast-fashion [[affordable) stores found in most major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I will like to see a Microsoft store, Urban Outfitters, H&M, Uniqlo, Cartier, Levi, Apple store, Hugo, Polo and few restaurants such as Outback Steakhouse, TGIFriday etc... All on Woodward

those retail stores are all great and would be nice additions.

but my god if i ever see an outback steakhouse or tgi friday taking up prime retail locations on woodward i will shed a tear

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    No, they are mostly fast-fashion [[affordable) stores found in most major cities.
    Cool. As long as Woodward becomes a shoppable district again bring on the idea

It's good to have specially shops on Woodward but there are many consumers who are just the average non trendy shopper who may want a plain simply shirt or blouse; Slacks or skirts. A store that would cater to the basic attire would draw many customers. Believe it or not in the strip of Cass Carhartt draw in more shoppers who actually purchase affordable items than the more expensive retail down the strip

It's good to have specially shops on Woodward but there are many consumers who are just the average non trendy shopper who may want a plain simply shirt or blouse; Slacks or skirts. A store that would cater to the basic attire would draw many customers. Believe it or not in the strip of Cass Carhartt draw in more shoppers who actually purchase affordable items than the more expensive retail down the strip
    100% agree. I think the stores mentioned above skew younger, but they do offer the basics at a low cost. It's nice to see Varvatos and Kit & Ace, but I'd much rather pay $6 for a shirt than $90.

I'd much rather see the Woodward strip become a destination shopping area, even if that would price me out of the area. If retailers see that Detroit can sustain a high end shopping district, they may decide it could also support the lower priced stores, maybe on the Avenue of Fashion, or Grand River and Greenfield.

I had once said that downtown needed a Macy's or a big box store on Merchants Row but then thought against the idea and still do. Downtown need more individual independent stores as well as local retail that cater to the average basic wants or needs. Detroit is the New Black is good for the strip and it's locally owned but it is still a specialty store. A casual store that sells khakis or casual tops will do. A shoe store that sell Cole Hasn, Rockport, Sketcher will fit the area. Box stores don't do well in the long run however a City Target would be great for Midtown.

You can very clearly tell everyone's age, based on the retail everyone wants [[and that's not a bad thing!)

You can very clearly tell everyone's age, based on the retail everyone wants [[and that's not a bad thing!)
    When you young you want tredy, funky, hippy clothes that will quickly go out of style like last week's news. When you get older you want to invest your money on items that last and maybe withstand the test of time

Kit + Ace is closed [[or closing soon). They are closing all US, UK , and Australian stores.

Kit & Ace is closing all of its stores in the U.S., Australia and the U.K. Includes Detroit obviously.

Too bad for the company...But an already refurburished space for another retailer I suppose...

Kit & Ace closing? Did it really have a chance? Selling high priced clothing to a demographic that can't afford more than one or two outfits a year was "stretching" it. I will say that I love the design of the store. I love how bright it is at night [[for now). It really added a touch of class to that location. Also, being that this spot is a corner location, I think a restaurant would be great there, especially with all of those windows. The restaurant would have all the brightness from having all of those windows that Cornerstone is lacking.
    Last edited by royce; April-27-17 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Kit & Ace closing? Did it really have a chance? Selling high priced clothing to a demographic that can't afford more than one or two outfits a year was "stretching" it. I will say that I love the design of the store. I love how bright it is at night [[for now). It really added a touch of class to that location. Also, being that this spot is a corner location, I think a restaurant would be great there, especially with all of those windows. The restaurant would have all the brightness from having all of those windows that Cornerstone is lacking.
    I think that a Bath and Bodywork or an independent lotion, candles, and room air fresher shop would fit perfectly there. Downtown has enough high priced restaurants. I agree. Kit and Ace was the worst retail to be allowed to open in the area. Everyone doesn't wear cashmere. Homework and research should be done on a particular retail store before allowing them to set up shop downtown

Homework and research should be done on a particular retail store before allowing them to set up shop downtown
    I don't think Detroit is in a position to turn down a global retailer with a brand name like Kit+Ace. I don't think anyone could foresee this dramatic of a change in their business model, no matter how much "homework and research" anyone did.

On Saturday I spotted 2 women walking down Woodward with 5 different bags between them.

More space to fill for sure but undeniably those young women shopping are another sign of a steady progression forward in the downtown.

Just asking:

If I were a retailer would I have trepidation that I would start a business and then along comes Gilbert and his huge retail/residential building and maybe put me out of business if my business is similar to a business in his building?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Just asking:

If I were a retailer would I have trepidation that I would start a business and then along comes Gilbert and his huge retail/residential building and maybe put me out of business if my business is similar to a business in his building?
    Very good description of capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I am all for high end retail, but I hope as retail returns there is a mix, even on Woodward. After all, even in the "glory days" Woolworth and Kresge were there.

Even Hudson's had 2 basement level stores.

Woodward still needs an anchor to take off.

No one comes out of their way for boutiques, but rather the Macy's, JC Penney's, Dillards, etc. type of stores.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Woodward still needs an anchor to take off.

No one comes out of their way for boutiques, but rather the Macy's, JC Penney's, Dillards, etc. type of stores.
    True but Woodward need more smaller retail such as the ones that are beginning to line Woodward currently. More middle end retail including speciality stores such is Bath and Body Work, White Barn, etc.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast