Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think this is about the right approach to finding a path to better education for students, in the real world. I would dissolve the school board tomorrow, and create several new boards. I'd ban unions and any other force that works against progress.
    Why ban unions. Are you implying that's what's holding DPS back? Aren't teachers in successful districts [[i.e Grosse Point, Birmingham, Northville) also represented by unions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why ban unions. Are you implying that's what's holding DPS back? Aren't teachers in successful districts [[i.e Grosse Point, Birmingham, Northville) also represented by unions?
    Nice observation.

Do like Chris Christie, Scott Walker did. Suck up to the police unions and run against the teachers [[union).

It is called being 'consistently inconsistent.'

Of course, the more perceptive folks realize it is all about politics. One union votes Democrat and the other Republican.

So it is: "I like unions which like me and I dislike unions which... [[fill in the blank, it is parallel)".
    Last edited by emu steve; May-04-15 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Unions bargain wages AND working conditions. Wage inflation isn't the problem. Frankly, teachers are paid well enough. But there's reasonable an argument for paying more.

What isn't acceptable however is union intrusion into working conditions. This is where the Union encourages the status quo. Changes are necessary, and experimentation is essential. Wanna try larger class size? Wanna institute pay for performance? How about some new ideas on evaluating teachers? Good luck getting that into your collective bargaining agreement.

Split DPS! What is Snyder, the geek is thinking, bad ideal! He's going the Detroit School district to the ground! He can kiss his chance for president goodbye!

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Unions bargain wages AND working conditions. Wage inflation isn't the problem. Frankly, teachers are paid well enough. But there's reasonable an argument for paying more.

What isn't acceptable however is union intrusion into working conditions. This is where the Union encourages the status quo. Changes are necessary, and experimentation is essential. Wanna try larger class size? Wanna institute pay for performance? How about some new ideas on evaluating teachers? Good luck getting that into your collective bargaining agreement.

Perhaps the most ignorant, completely biased thing I've read here in a while.

Teacher wages are not "well enough". That's noted in many primary sources.

Any amount of honest research of primary sources as to why Unions bargain working conditions would provide foundation context to keep your posts honest on this subject.

You wouldn't last one month, let alone one week, being a public school teacher.

And I completely expect to you spit back something that will try and come off as having some sort of experience in public ed as a means to prop up your feeble spew.

It never fails with jokers like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Perhaps the most ignorant, completely biased thing I've read here in a while.

Teacher wages are not "well enough". That's noted in many primary sources.

Any amount of honest research of primary sources as to why Unions bargain working conditions would provide foundation context to keep your posts honest on this subject.

You wouldn't last one month, let alone one week, being a public school teacher.

And I completely expect to you spit back something that will try and come off as having some sort of experience in public ed as a means to prop up your feeble spew.

It never fails with jokers like you.
    Sorry, no public ed experience. Might explain why I don't buy their story.

I respect the need to bargain some working conditions. Coal miners have valid issues with safety, as an obvious example. No problem with 'collective bargaining' here. When a worker prevents a trade-show exhibiter from carrying their own supplies to their booth, that's not a working condition. Its an abuse of the idea.

I want the School Board to have the power to make reasonable decisions about how to teach. I don't believe the Union should be able to get rules cast in stone that prevent innovation, no matter how well intentioned. One entity should be running the schools. The other should be making sure employees are paid fairly and not subjected to unreasonable working conditions. They should not be able to set education policy.