Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tent City?

I can understand how the visuals of homelessness could be disturbing particularly for City of Detroit residents who have to bear the burden of this de facto human landfill situation for the rest of the Metro. I have less understanding how that is turned to blaming the victims of that terrible fate instead of working for solutions in a holiday spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    The empathy on this thread completely underwhelms me. The bulk of You seriously have no clue about the deplorable conditions at most/ not all, homeless shelters. On occaision we have housed homeless citizens. Have one now, he acquired a stable job, saved a bit and plans to get his own place in January.

Most "private" shelters collect state money and they are frauds. They turn people out at 8am regardless of temp, provide no food, quite often no beds, no counciling and people can't return until 6 pm. Each shelter has "term" limits some 30 days, some 60 days. In addition, what one owns must be taken with that person daily or they toss it in the trash.

A tent may suck but it provides minimal shelter 24/7.
    The lack of empathy stems from fear and guilt.

They fear life in/around Detroit isn't all the sunshine, puppies and roses they once thought and that they can also end up in the same situation as those who have no option but to live in these homeless shelters and tent cities.

They also feel guilty because they know they don't have the resources to truly help these people who have been dealt a cruel hand by fate in a practical way.

So demonizing them and pretending as if they don't exist is sort of their coping/defense mechanism when being forced to acknowledge their plight.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-22-14 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I can understand how the visuals of homelessness could be disturbing particularly for City of Detroit residents who have to bear the burden of this de facto human landfill situation for the rest of the Metro. I have less understanding how that is turned to blaming the victims of that terrible fate instead of working for solutions in a holiday spirit.
    See my previous post.

Since B'ham has no issue with it, I'll personally pay for a chartered bus to drive these folks to downtown Birmingham to camp there overnight. At least they'll encounter richer clientele to panhandle, thus winning.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Detroit is no longer a major city. I dont see these campers causing anyone inconvenience besides themselves. It warms my heart to know their presence is causing quality of life problems for you tho. Must be miserable to be bailey. Stuck on stressing over what other people choose to do with themselves... and dont bother frontlin like you dont.
    The answer is fix the shelters, not lawlessness. it's a park, not a camp ground.

ironic that someone said get a job as a dishwasher. I mentioned we are assisting a homeless black man and thats what he is doing. $9 hrly. He is crime free, drug free but It is a new start. To get a job you need a phone, an address, clean clothes, money for bus fare or a ride to interviews. He deserves a better job and that will come but he needed a start or re-start as the case may be.

Strange, he got robbed by young white punks in Grosse Pointe upon leaving work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Knowing you are an excellent talented photographer I liked the term visual. As a Detroiter, I see the beauty and ruin alike every day. I suck at taking photos, have no talent for poetry much less musical talent. My one talent is I care and take action as I can

Real solutions are needed for our homeless population The poor/homeless are treated worse than dogs in a shelter. I am grateful the police are not planning to take action.

I had planned to drive over and ask what they needed. A serious neighborhood crisis came up. People laugh but I really do live in an amazing very tight knit community. Totally took precident.

Tomorrow will do so. Blankets, coolers, grills etc have in abundance I don't want to take what they can't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    There is [[or was) a group of 4-5 tents in the south part of Lafayette Park just off Jefferson as well. I'm sure there are more around the city. As long as they're not causing problems, meh.
    I have an idea. Why not invite them over to Grand Circus Park?

I see zero cause for levity at the expense of the poor. My near neighbor just lost his home to fire today. Looks like faulty wires were at fault, just don't know the causes yet.

Fortunately, relations nearby are putting them up. Thank God no one was at home. They struggle to survive so doubt it was not insurance fraud

That is the face of the newly homeless.

His wife walks the kids to school everyday, I adore their 3 three daughters who spend a lot of time in my home. They lost everything! The look on Tres face when he came home to firefighters, police everywhere and his home in flames. He cried, we all cried.
    Last edited by sumas; December-23-14 at 02:27 AM.

A man and family lost their ancestral home today. For the assholes with shitty comments about Detroit and Detroiters please try a different forum. You aren't funny nor witty. The community has already rallied around nuturing this family.

Community, family, churches and local agencies will be rallyed. Oh forgot thats WELFARE.

I am sending out a HUGE fuck you to self centered bigots who like to expound on this forum that Detroiters suck and you are just so cool.

This is a big tragedy for this family and our community. So bring on the jokes assholes. I'll take Detroit any day, we have heart and souls. We can't replace a lost home but surely we will help them in their hour of darkness and need. Plans are already in place for temporary shelter, relocation, furniture, clothing, food etc.

We are all heart sick but by all means keep those jokes and slanders coming. I'll consider the source. Obviously brain dead soulless people. May God have mercy on you.
    Last edited by sumas; December-22-14 at 10:41 PM.

I see zero cause for levity at the expense of the poor. My near neighbor just lost his home to fire today. Looks like faulty wires were at fault, just don't know the causes yet.

Fortunately, relations nearby are putting them up. Thank God no one was at home. They struggle to survive so doubt it was insurance fraud

That is the face of the newly homeless.

His wife walks the kids to school everyday, I adore their 3 three daughters who spend a lot of time in my home. They lost everything! The look on Tres face when he came home to firefighters, police everywhere and his home in flames. He cried, we all cried.

I am very sorry to hear that Sue. My thoughts are with you this Christmas and I keep wishing for better times around you. You certainly put a lot of effort into helping your community, and you manage to have humor throughout this. Lots of love. JFK

Thank you Canuck. We all lost it earlier today. Another lovely home lost, a family homeless. They have strong family and area ties so most likely can recover with help. It won't be the same but they will prevail.

We will stand in the wings, raise money etc as necessary, wait to to find out their needs. We tend to be a sort of clearing house for info for the neighorhood. I am wearing no shining star I can name three women of color who are better hooked into the system that can help then myself. Somehow all will get taken care of.

People think Detroit is a wasteland and they are so wrong. The simple tenacity is an inspiration to me daily. The caring , sharing that exists in the poorer communities is real.

Still plan on visiting the tent city tomorrow/today. Needs are great and no fellow human should be diminished. for lack of resources.

Homelessness is no joking matter.

Attachment 25312

A physically and mentally fit 23 and 25 year old decide to pitch tents in a public park and declare themselves "homeless". He can't find a job as a carpenter, even though new construction has gone through the roof in Detroit. And she can't find a job, in what field again? When I think of all the disgusting, meager paying jobs I took on as a young man to keep myself going, I do find this story laughable. Where did they live previous to this? What part of the City was the home they lost? How did they manage to loose their home? I have a lot of questions that the bullshit shovelers on this forum can't seem to answer. The story makes a poor attempt @ somehow tying Detroit's Bankruptcy to this couple, as if that had something to do with their current fate. There doesn't seem to be a lot of opportunity for handouts in their current location. Perhaps some of the regular forum trolls can assist in moving them to a ritzier part of town, Midtown for instance, or allow them to setup camp in their backyards? But as long as they stay in someone else's neighborhood, it's Ok. What me worry?

...Homelessness is no joking matter.
    After reading all 38 posts, I can say that there were zero "jokes" about the homeless. Many folks expressing themselves, some questioning the legality of tents/camping in a city park, etc... No joking around though.

Even HT stated that he found the story laughable, not the homeless themselves.
    Last edited by Vic01; December-23-14 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I sympathize with homeless people with mental illness, disabilities, heck, even a criminal record. But I don't think able bodied individuals need to be homeless. Just google "dishwasher wanted Detroit" and you'll get a couple of hundred results. Most jobs pay at least 8 or 9 dollars an hour. Can you not rent a room on 350 a week?
    Would you hire someone who is without shelter and what we take for granted, such as a shower and basic toiletries? Because yeah, I don't think anyone would. So if that person doesn't get that minimum wage job, which also does not provide them enough income to get by on, how do they pull themselves out of that cycle? The argument of "Just get a job!!" or "Work harder!!" doesn't solve the issue that people without jobs often don't have the means to get, let alone keep, that job. Stop shaming the poor and homeless and start asking what you can do to make their lives better.

A man and family lost their ancestral home today. For the assholes with shitty comments about Detroit and Detroiters please try a different forum. You aren't funny nor witty. The community has already rallied around nuturing this family.

Community, family, churches and local agencies will be rallyed. Oh forgot thats WELFARE.

I am sending out a HUGE fuck you to self centered bigots who like to expound on this forum that Detroiters suck and you are just so cool.

This is a big tragedy for this family and our community. So bring on the jokes assholes. I'll take Detroit any day, we have heart and souls. We can't replace a lost home but surely we will help them in their hour of darkness and need. Plans are already in place for temporary shelter, relocation, furniture, clothing, food etc.

We are all heart sick but by all means keep those jokes and slanders coming. I'll consider the source. Obviously brain dead soulless people. May God have mercy on you.

Sumas loses it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfthrizXKOM

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Attachment 25312When I think of all the disgusting, meager paying jobs I took on as a young man to keep myself going, I do find this story laughable.
    What was the unemployment rate in Detroit when you were a "young man?"

How accessible were these jobs [[as far as reliable transporation and walkability to/from them) when you were a "young man?"

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Would you hire someone who is without shelter and what we take for granted, such as a shower and basic toiletries? Because yeah, I don't think anyone would. So if that person doesn't get that minimum wage job, which also does not provide them enough income to get by on, how do they pull themselves out of that cycle? The argument of "Just get a job!!" or "Work harder!!" doesn't solve the issue that people without jobs often don't have the means to get, let alone keep, that job. Stop shaming the poor and homeless and start asking what you can do to make their lives better.
    Maybe for a 6 figure corporate position, I would say not. But construction sites, restaurants, and other businesses do pick up day laborers for meager positions @ minimum wage, which someone has already oh this forum has pointed out. Finding that job isn't easy but it's an "IN" and a start. Lately, there's been an influx in Detroit of young, able bodied, men and women, sitting on corners and asking for hand-outs. To me, they don't appear to be locals. One woman I know for sure I've seen in various locations around Metro-Detroit, as far as 8 miles out. Stop shaming the employed who are constantly being hit on to give more, and let them live out their lives in peace, and enjoy what they've earned.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What was the unemployment rate in Detroit when you were a "young man?"

How accessible were these jobs [[as far as reliable transporation and walkability to/from them) when you were a "young man?"
    Oh they were abundant. I did nothing but sit home on my ass and people would come by, knock on my door and ask me if I felt like working today. Read my post about the one "homeless" female. I can't help but wonder how she gets to her "spots".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Oh they were abundant.
    I'm sure, in what was the 4th/5th largest city and the 2nd wealthiest city in the country at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm sure, in what was the 4th/5th largest city and the 2nd wealthiest city in the country at the time.
    Yes, Part of that is true. But it wasn't all daisies and fuzzy puppies either. I've been on job searches all the way into the late 80's. I know, lucky me, and part of THAT is true. Midtown is booming, a multitude of homes were flooded and suffered severe damage, late Summer/early Fall this year. I find it hard to believe all that's been resolved. You do have a valid point, it's not easy finding a job, I just don't believe it can't be done. No one's answered any of my questions as to who these people are and where they came from.

The empathy on this thread completely underwhelms me. The bulk of You seriously have no clue about the deplorable conditions at most/ not all, homeless shelters. On occaision we have housed homeless citizens. Have one now, he acquired a stable job, saved a bit and plans to get his own place in January.

Most "private" shelters collect state money and they are frauds. They turn people out at 8am regardless of temp, provide no food, quite often no beds, no counciling and people can't return until 6 pm. Each shelter has "term" limits some 30 days, some 60 days. In addition, what one owns must be taken with that person daily or they toss it in the trash.

A tent may suck but it provides minimal shelter 24/7.
    The Tent city on Lafayette is right next to our co op. The residents are none too pleased for obvious reasons. They do not feel safe with the people milling around. There are obvious sanitary issues. We are not too thrilled with people defecating and urinating in the open as well as littering garbage in areas we work hard to keep clean and safe. Its also highly illegal to be setting up home there. I dont think the concerns are ill placed. Do you want this next to your home? These people obviuosly need help, and we need to figure this out, however you cant just let these settlements take over city areas for the above mentioned reasons.
    Last edited by DetBill; December-23-14 at 02:25 PM.

We went today to find out their needs. Went back with immediate needs, I found all I talked to articulate and polite. They want jobs! There is a lead man and and a lead woman, not a couple, which always emerges in a group setting.

Detbill if you don't like the defecation talk to the ladies about how they feel about same. Take a collection, rent a porta potty. Go talk to them I did.

Channel 7 did a blurb and people are coming to help. They are a little surprised at the attention. Will go tomorrow to deliver very specific NEEDS.

It may be a function of maturity and plain old having lived a long time and seen a few things, but I saw those young couples in the tent and I am pretty sure that they are, for some reason, no longer welcome to live with their or either family and they most likely have lost jobs and worn out the welcome of friends.
    Really, this isn't the Great Depression again. No one has to live in a tent. Only if you want, really are determined to not cooperate. Drugs, alcohol, in-treated mental illness is what is likely going on. I don't understand the DPD position.
    A few years ago, a lot of "homeless" people began to live under an I75 overpass near Livernois. They were there at least a year. They panhandled on aver or; grabbed purses and bikes from local residents; removed every aluminum screen door and most of the gutters from blocks around and spit on people. The DPD would NEVER look into it. Could not determine what law was broken by the campers. Finally, WXYZ did an expose and filmed the DDOT bus drivers dropping off and picking up drugs to the campers. Pretty soon MDOT arrived with HAZMAT crews and social workers and megaphones to to clean the rats nest out. Of course the campers were living in extreme filth.
    Sumas demands jobs for the current campers -as if she knows that they have skills and reliability and a work ethic. Sumas intimates that employers and possibly government are deliberately withholding a job from these really capable and steady people. In my experience there is a lot more nuance to this situation.
    Last edited by SWMAP; December-23-14 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    The Tent city on Lafayette is right next to our co op. The residents are none too pleased for obvious reasons. They do not feel safe with the people milling around. There are obvious sanitary issues. We are not too thrilled with people defecating and urinating in the open as well as littering garbage in areas we work hard to keep clean and safe. Its also highly illegal to be setting up home there. I dont think the concerns are ill placed. Do you want this next to your home? These people obviuosly need help, and we need to figure this out, however you cant just let these settlements take over city areas for the above mentioned reasons.
    I'm confused... It's illegal for the tenters to be living next to legal residents, yet a poster suggests the legal residents should "Take a collection, rent a porta potty" for them to enable them to stay there in a more sanitary condition?
    Last edited by Vic01; December-23-14 at 05:09 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast