Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed.

I imagine what Logan and Bing were trying to do instead was mimic the "Sorry, we're broke" rhetoric from Bing/Snyder.

But instead of their statement coming across like this...

"The catastrophic crime wave we're experiencing in this great city of Detroit is absolutely unacceptable and as leaders we do take full responsibility for not doing more to prevent the killings of 386 of our fellow citizens throughout the past year. However, given the city's precarious financial situation, we just don't have the resources alone to put anymore patrol officers in our street and we're begging on hands and knees for ANY help that can be offered by surrounding jurisdictions, in addition to ANY help from federal and state law enforcement agencies."

Instead, both Logan and Bing came across as bumbling idiots by not only blaming the folks in this city who keep food on their tables, but also ignorantly stating that we DON'T need more resources at all to address what has become a third-world crisis.

Yep,

If you look a t all the money shoveled into that war on drugs in foreign countries in Colombia for instance, the same resources diverted to Detroit's streets would severely limit assaults on citizens because criminals look for easy targets. I once worked with a guy who had spent 15 years in and out of jail for repeated armed robberies and when I asked him why he had committed these crimes he answered; because it's easy.

I also would use some of the love money spent on foreign countries in the war to win hearts in Afghanistan, and put in in Detroit schools. Helping program kids for success, making school more interesting than the streets, learning and being with caring providers when the families are severely lacking in caregiving, etc... If schools are the only line of defense against the damaging of kids in unhealthy situations, then schools have to be the answer, even if it means forcing unskilled parents to get some reeducation alongside their kids. Even stuff like home economics classes, and cooking where a mother learns to buy and cook fresh foods, distinguish between cheap and wholesome versus expensive and crappy to allow better choices for the family. Lots of money there which will pay off in the long run. Ditto in Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia. But I would stop at Philadelphia.

I'm predicting that 450 homicides in 2013 would happen in the ghettohoods in Detroit. It's time to bring in the National Guard to patrol that streets.