Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 2023 Detroit Pistons

Another athletic non-shooter in Thompson. Pistons will be fun racing up and down the court but they better be lightening fast because once they get into a half court offence they're screwed. No idea why they traded up to get a guard who's going to sit either.

Sasser should get minutes. It pushes Killian to the end of the bench, where he belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Sasser should get minutes. It pushes Killian to the end of the bench, where he belongs.
    I would hope Killian is finally gone. I would like to see them sign a veteran guard though. I realize Sasser was a senior, is experienced and can shoot. I just like to see a veteran guard come off the bench to lead the 2nd squad and to settle things down when the young starters are struggling.
    Last edited by 401don; June-23-23 at 08:42 AM.

I hate to say it but i’m losing patience with Troy Weaver. I have really tried to buy in to the guy, but this season has to be a turning point. I know they’re not going to the playoff’s but I would like to see them go from 17 wins to mid thirty wins.

C.C should be healthy, maybe it’s time for him to carry this team on his back. Or maybe Dave Bing was right about the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I hate to say it but i’m losing patience with Troy Weaver. I have really tried to buy in to the guy, but this season has to be a turning point. I know they’re not going to the playoff’s but I would like to see them go from 17 wins to mid thirty wins.

C.C should be healthy, maybe it’s time for him to carry this team on his back. Or maybe Dave Bing was right about the guy.
    No argument here. Not sure how you can say you're emphasizing defense when you sign a stiff like Bagley to an extension and then trade for Wiseman.

While signing a premier free agent would have been nice, it wasn't likely to happen with so little available. The Pistons acquired two guys who can actually shoot, Joe Harris, who can play some small forward as well as shooting guard, and Monte Morris, the veteran point guard I said I wanted.
    This frees up a lot of cap room for next off-season when the free agent pool should be much better and the Pistons will have a lot better idea of their needs after another full season of playing the young guys. Assuming they hang on to Bogdanavic until at least the trade deadline, and with Cade back they should be much more competitive this year.
    Last edited by 401don; July-01-23 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    This frees up a lot of cap room for next off-season when the free agent pool should be much better and the Pistons will have a lot better idea of their needs after another full season of playing the young guys.
    Spot on. If they signed Cam Johnson on a big deal, people would have complained about that too. Heading into the season after next with cap space is ideal

Good news is the Pistons can't possibly be any worse than last year.

They traded a 2nd round pick to the Wizards for Flint native, Monte Morris. He should help out a lot. Good backup. Corey Joseph signed a 1 yr deal with GS, so he's gone too. I agree, Killian should be on the clock.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-03-23 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Spot on. If they signed Cam Johnson on a big deal, people would have complained about that too. Heading into the season after next with cap space is ideal
    They're projected to have over 60 million in space next year when the FA market will be better than this one. In hindsight, it was a smart play. But with the new CBA, you have to use it I believe. You can't carry it over. So teams better make good use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They're projected to have over 60 million in space next year when the FA market will be better than this one. In hindsight, it was a smart play. But with the new CBA, you have to use it I believe. You can't carry it over. So teams better make good use of it.
    I don't think using it is ever an issue. You simply sign guys to one year deals or acquire guys on expiring ones as the Pistons just did.

I don't think using it is ever an issue. You simply sign guys to one year deals or acquire guys on expiring ones as the Pistons just did.
    Maybe you're right. But I thought I read something to the effect that you have to use it. I'll have to find it.

4 yrs/64 million for Stewart, a guy who can't shoot, can't guard at the rim and isn't much of a passer. But he is "high energy". NBA role guys still get NHL superstar money.

Default 2023 - 2024 Detroit Pistons

Vegas has the Pistons at 28.5 wins. 11 more than last year. Obviously they don't think very highly of this team as it is configured.
    As I have previously mentioned, it's time for CC to carry this team on his back like generational talent is supposed to do. Or maybe Mayor Bing was right about that guy.

Pistons are clearly better this year with Cunningham healthy, the addition of Thompson and if they hold on to Bogdanovic but then you look around the Conference and say yeah but better than who?
    By the way, how the NBA releases its schedule in bits and still hasn't completely released it two months before the season starts is really annoying. Not sure how they think releasing opening day, Christmas day, etc. one at a time does anything but piss people off.
    Last edited by 401don; August-15-23 at 07:04 AM.

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe - I can't believe how good this team looks. It's a 180-degree turnaround from last year when they were totally comatose. It's really entertaining to watch this team now.

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe - I can't believe how good this team looks. It's a 180-degree turnaround from last year when they were totally comatose. It's really entertaining to watch this team now.
    You're right. They look like a team with no ceiling. With the return of the rested and hungry Cade Cunningham at the core, the rapid maturation of still-19-year-old Jalen Duran, and now the arrival of Ausar Thompson, who could be their next Dennis Rodman, minus the antics, a good mix of youth and veteran's, and a proven coach, this team looks ready to take off.

It's a long season but the first three games have been eye-openers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    You're right. They look like a team with no ceiling. With the return of the rested and hungry Cade Cunningham at the core, the rapid maturation of still-19-year-old Jalen Duran, and now the arrival of Ausar Thompson, who could be their next Dennis Rodman, minus the antics, a good mix of youth and veteran's, and a proven coach, this team looks ready to take off.

It's a long season but the first three games have been eye-openers.
    Not sure what to make of this team yet. They are very athletic but so young and inexperienced. They are way better on defense but still lack shooting. Their best shooters are all veterans although Cade has a nice mid-range jumper this year. Thompson and Ivey need to develop their shooting badly for this core to take off. Duren can't do much on the offensive end other than dunk. They are committing a ton of turnovers and good teams won't let them get away with that. We'll have a much better idea in another month when Monty has some time to see what he has and settle on a rotation. Lastly - biggest addition they could make would be by subtraction - give up on Hayes.
    Last edited by 401don; October-29-23 at 02:34 PM.

By the way, does anyone else think this in season "tournament" is beyond goofy.

Looking at this team now, it's obvious that Dwayne Casey had lost interest, and should have hung it up a season or two sooner. In retrospect, Casey seemed fine to point the guys in the general direction of the basketball court. That might work for a team full of seasoned veterans, but he wasn't doing the young guys any favors. Monty seems to be giving this team an identity, and forcing the players to actually learn how to play defense, something Casey had given up on by the end. You can also see that he's having to tear down and rebuild some of the players, most notably Jayden Ivey, who was given free reign last year after Cade got hurt. Actual development should turn him around and into the player we envisioned when he was drafted #5.

Oy Vey, that post hasn't aged well. It went bad really quick.

Oy Vey, that post hasn't aged well. It went bad really quick.
    I wasn't as optimistic but admit to having one foot on the bandwagon. This idea that you can draft young athletic guys like Hayes, Thompson, Ivey and they will somehow magically develop their shooting just doesn't work. For further proof just look at the Pistons drafts for the last 10 plus years.

This idea that you can draft young athletic guys like Hayes, Thompson, Ivey and they will somehow magically develop their shooting just doesn't work.
    Right now getting shots seems to be a bigger problem than shooting as they turn the ball over and over and over again without getting a shot off. Ausar Thompson is sensational but he needs to learn he's a Dennis Rodman and Dennis Rodman's don't try three's, as his airballs showed last night. Steal, rebound, pass, or drive kid. Don't shoot anything more than five fee away.
    Nonetheless this is a fun team to watch.

Remember, they clawed their way back and were one shot away from winning the opener in Miami. They also had an 18 point lead that they squandered when they let off the gas against Portland earlier this week. They're a young team and as they mature, you'd expect that they'll start coming out on the right side of those games.

They're also missing three guys [[Bogdonavich, Morris, and Livers) that they should count on to make baskets when they return from injury.

30 wins would almost double their win total from last year and seems a realistic target for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Right now getting shots seems to be a bigger problem than shooting as they turn the ball over and over and over again without getting a shot off. Ausar Thompson is sensational but he needs to learn he's a Dennis Rodman and Dennis Rodman's don't try three's, as his airballs showed last night. Steal, rebound, pass, or drive kid. Don't shoot anything more than five fee away.
    Nonetheless this is a fun team to watch.
    It's a shooter's league now though and even in Rodman's time the Pistons and Bulls had guys who could score. I don't think you can get by with a wing who can't shoot any more, especially when Ivey plays similar and Duren can't do much offensively other than dunk. These 3 and Cade are your young core and they're going to have to learn how to score or they're going to need to trade two of them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast