Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Mikey I appreciate and respect your posts and POV but what you offer
    as a solution is an idealistic, almost sermonizing, approach I have heard repeatedly over the decades. It neatly puts things off for years "will take years to see it" as you say. Nothing ever gets done other than Detroit being left in the care of more poorer people while the tax-paying-capable exit.

The promising development we see happening along the Downtown to New Center axis are likewise future solutions. But it is no match for the demands of a city within the city of 300,000 incapable of contributing revenue. That challenge will continue to collapse Detroit's finances no matter what Mr. Orr does. We have seen that revolving-door dance with the schools.

Simply put there X number of poor people in Michigan. It is unfair and impossible for Detroit to have to care for such such a disproportionate share. Can't be done. The burden has to be shared and incentives such as I suggest need to be put in place to both stop the tax-paying-capable from leaving and to attract new ones to settle here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Mikey I appreciate and respect your posts and POV but what you offer
    as a solution is an idealistic, almost sermonizing, approach I have heard repeatedly over the decades. It neatly puts things off for years "will take years to see it" as you say. Nothing ever gets done other than Detroit being left in the care of more poorer people while the tax-paying-capable exit.

The promising development we see happening along the Downtown to New Center axis are likewise future solutions. But it is no match for the demands of a city within the city of 300,000 incapable of contributing revenue. That challenge will continue to collapse Detroit's finances no matter what Mr. Orr does. We have seen that revolving-door dance with the schools.

Simply put there X number of poor people in Michigan. It is unfair and impossible for Detroit to have to care for such such a disproportionate share. Can't be done. The burden has to be shared and incentives such as I suggest need to be put in place to both stop the tax-paying-capable from leaving and to attract new ones to settle here.
    Lowell, I've been saying the same thing since the very beginning. After Orr is long gone, the same old ills that caused the city to initially fail, will cause a repeat effect. The unbelievably minute and shrinking tax base will eventually cause the city to fall into the red again. Or the scary part of it is, the working class and wealthy will be left to carry the load in another 2-5 years. And most likely holding the bag when taxes have doubled on them, or more.

But I'll be very honest with you... I'm hoping with everything in my heart that I'm wrong. And that the momentum is for real this time. I just hope it can sustain long enough for the tax base to reverse course.