Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

That was kind of cool. How did they get all that stuff inside the people mover?

Sometimes, when I've been outside of this area, I've had some strange reactions to my answer to the question "where are you from?" When I answer "Detroit" the follow-up question, particularly from former Michiganders, is often "which city?" They seem baffled when I also answer "Detroit" to that query.

In fact, more than once I've run into people who, when I told them I was from Detroit, adamantly refused to believe that I was from the actual City of Detroit. One guy in a job interview even said to me "Looking at you, I know for a fact you're BSing me" - talk about unsubtle code speak.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    How did they get all that stuff inside the people mover?
    Because there weren't any people who needed to be moved on it?

No disrespect to Toby but he's a big-time advertizing guy, views things from a loftier perch than your average Detroit Yes denizen and is directing his message to people who aren't familiar with the place.

Harper Collins bio: Toby Barlow is executive creative director at the advertising agency JWT in Detroit and a contributor to the literary magazine n+1 and the Huffington Post. He splits his time between Detroit, Michigan, and New York City.