Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

lincoln8740 Guest

It's actually quite simple: Inspectors only issue tickets to those they think will pay. It's a complete waste of time to write tickets on a property that is either abandoned or not cared for.

I get tickets all the time and I am trying to do my best but the abandoned four family around the corner where the crackheads have a fucking hose hooked up to a gas line for some heat? They never get bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    It's actually quite simple: Inspectors only issue tickets to those they think will pay. It's a complete waste of time to write tickets on a property that is either abandoned or not cared for.
    Why is it a waste? Why aren't the owners be pursued and brought to court?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Most of these truely blighted properties are either owned by the City, the County or banks because of walk-offs or foreclosures. The City is not going to write tickets to themselves or the people they need to do business with.

lincoln8740 Guest

the only remedy is levying fines against the building which could eventually lead to a tax lien. If the property is abandoned what's the point of levying the fines--they will never be paid and eventually you will end with another city owned abandoned property.

the only remedy is levying fines against the building which could eventually lead to a tax lien. If the property is abandoned what's the point of levying the fines--they will never be paid and eventually you will end with another city owned abandoned property.
    My question is more along the lines as to why the owners cannot be pursued for their personal or business assets after a fine becomes delinquent? If one flagrantly refuses to pay a fine, isn't garnishment and or jail the next step? That is what happens to traffic ticket scofflaws.

lincoln8740 Guest

My question is more along the lines as to why the owners cannot be pursued for their personal or business assets after a fine becomes delinquent? If one flagrantly refuses to pay a fine, isn't garnishment and or jail the next step? That is what happens to traffic ticket scofflaws.
    T
    he fines run with the land sort of like a water bill. If you start fining people then you have so many due process concerns it would be a pain in the ass to collect. Also what if the building owner is an LLC and the only asset the LLC has is the building itself--how would the city collect?

I get tickets all the time and I am trying to do my best but the abandoned four family around the corner where the crackheads have a fucking hose hooked up to a gas line for some heat? They never get bothered.
    I have a friend who lives in Lafayette Towers. She had called the city inspectors about the elevator that hasn't been working for a year. The inspector had said as long as one out of three elevators is working the city cannot ticket or force the complex to fix all three elevators. Lafayette Towers had been in violation of many codes. She thinks that the inspectors or someone who work for the building and safety department is being paid off by the owner. I wonder if those who could pay sometimes pay off