Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

...which is funny, because more people have access to a car than ever before in our history. I wonder what the sustainable world-wide sales level will end up being. Even a well kept car doesn't last forever; you need to replace it [[or abandon driving).

The only dealership on that list that really surprises me is Birmingham Chrysler-Jeep [[which is actually in the Troy Motor Mall). I believe that is a rather large dealership, although they didn't have Dodge.

Most of the dealerships didn't have all 3 Chrysler brands and/or were in very close proximity to much larger dealerships.

There had been an overabundance of Chrysler dealerships in the area to support all of the employee sales, and the overabundance of cheap leased vehicles over the past several years.

I'm really sorry to see Bruce Campbell Dodge go. That's where I'd take my car to get it serviced, they knew the car and they knew me. The people there are so friendly and so helpful. Now where will I go to get that same service????

ahh We have been customers of MeadowBrook Dodge in Rochester Hills for many years

"Russo Group Enterprises" = Lochmoor Chrysler Jeep on Mack in Detroit near Grosse Pointe.

this is definitely out of bad taste, but these revelations sort of give the region a better taste of what Detroit proper has gone through... not that the year long recession wasn;'enough.

Interesting you should say that French, considering the shoddy service I received at Meadowbrook was one [[of several) motivating factors in me vowing to never purchase another Chrysler product. In their defense, this was many years ago. Perhaps there are new owners.

This is only a cursory, non-analytical observation----but it appears the closings are disproportionately in the Midwest and western portions of the Eastern seaboard. Considering [[other than MI) the recession is slamming CA & FL the worst, I figured they would top the list.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Considering [[other than MI) the recession is slamming CA & FL the worst, I figured they would top the list.
    probably fewer dealerships there - it's not as if either of those areas are huge supporters of domestic autos

My dad just bought a used Durango from Monicatti a couple months ago. I'm glad Sterling Heights Dodge and Richmond Dodge are still in business. I'm due for a new vehicle next month on account of my lease. Unfortunately, the awesome salesman I leased 2 trucks from at Richmond no longer works there. Need to find the guy! I'm hoping the guy my dad used to deal with at Sterling Heights is still there. Unfortunately they did not have a Durango for him.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    ...which is funny, because more people have access to a car than ever before in our history. I wonder what the sustainable world-wide sales level will end up being. Even a well kept car doesn't last forever; you need to replace it [[or abandon driving).
    One of the benefits of Japanese then worldwide competition was that it made American car manufacturing change their estimates of Planned obsolescence of their vehicles. Eventually, doing that would hurt the dealers in terms of sales. The auto dealership industry finally had to address falling vehicle sales due to foreign competition and better quality of vehicles in general.