Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
The Wings just need to keep losing. I'll take 2-3 years of pain and suffering for high end draft picks and dumping all of these 45 year no trade clause contracts. Then again, with Holland at the helm, who knows if it even pans out. He really has lost my faith. He could build a team with a blank checkbook and a fan as the owner, but the salary cap hasn't been good to him. Yes, I know, 08' they won the cup and 09' were within 1 game of it. But those teams were built pre-cap and still had the likes of Lidstrom, Chelios, and in their prime Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall. The contracts he's doled out since then are questionable as best, inexcusable in a lot of cases.

You also need to watch them play against a team like Las Vegas, Edmonton, NJ, Tampa. Those teams are in track meets, they are fun to watch, and they score. The Wings don't have enough talent to play with those teams, let alone even score 3 goals a game. And man oh man are they a bore to watch. I'm a huge hockey fan, but these past few years save for a few dozen games have been really hard to watch.
Edmonton has been picking in the top ten, and often #1 for a decade. They are just terrible trading players like Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle for almost nothing.

The next draft has no impact players, the one in 2019 is better but no Connor McDavid as of now. Teams have to draft the top well but also have tons of depth, which Detroit has already compiled. They need one really big hit in the draft, and tanking isn't the best way to get there all the time.