Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well I don't know about most "educated"... young people... but my sisters 2 kids went away to college... came back [[5 years ago and last year)... found decent [[not super great) jobs... bought houses that are AFFORDABLE [[my niece got a nice house in Fraser for $89K)... are settling down with their new found spouse and girlfriend... and are planning on settling down here.... in super boring Detroit.

I don't get it when some here post that everyone went away to a life of beer swilling at college... want to go find somewhere else to continue their beer swilling ways.

Some young people DO get the urge to settle down... and living 1000 miles away from the rest of the family in some über cool social utopia is less important than starting a family near their existing family!

Sorry 48009... I don't buy your example of living the American dream... You need to look at THE WHOLE PICTURE.... Not everyone wants to live 2 blocks from a mass transit system, and near a bar "where everyone knows your name"....
    There are always going to be people more comfortable living close to where they grew up. Happening far less than it used to in Michigan, but it's not unheard of.

It's not just "beer swilling" it's working with and being around hundreds of thousands of peers in a competitive city. When you go out for nightlife or to a gym it's full of college educated people from all over the country. If your nieces were looking for a college educated spouse, their options were exponentially more plentiful in Chicago. Even if you want to start a family in Michigan, there's still that period of time between 22 and mid to late 20s where Chicago, SF, Indy, Pitt, DC, NYC far are far appealing than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    There are always going to be people more comfortable living close to where they grew up. Happening far less than it used to in Michigan, but it's not unheard of.

It's not just "beer swilling" it's working with and being around hundreds of thousands of peers in a competitive city. When you go out for nightlife or to a gym it's full of college educated people from all over the country. If your nieces were looking for a college educated spouse, their options were exponentially more plentiful in Chicago. Even if you want to start a family in Michigan, there's still that period of time between 22 and mid to late 20s where Chicago, SF, Indy, Pitt, DC, NYC far are far appealing than Detroit.
    According to you. And to many other people. But, because people have different preferences, not to everyone. Just like some people would like living in Birmingham and some people wouldn't. It isn't that Birmingham doesn't have good points, it just isn't what everyone wants.

Actually Detroit has a lot of great assets [[I mean the region including the City, not just the City): waterfront, inexpensive housing, plenty of colleges and universities, Metro Parks, really good airline connections to other cities, sports teams, museums, DSO, great local music.

The only thing we are lacking is the ability to live car free, which is appealing to more and more young adults now. And we are working on that; behind, but working.