Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Then again, based on the WSU campuswatch emails from 10/24 and 10/31, there was one robbery on Hancock, two on Cass, one on Third, and one on Second, so I'm not entirely convinced that fixing the lights on Second is going to stop the robberies in the area.
    Exactly.

On top of that, French777 and company can also take the same advice many are giving me. It's not like this petition will solve the problem, it'll just shift it on to someone else. The problem is structural, and until that's repaired the problem will still be there.

Also, this area may be the fastest growing area in the city, but I bet that area doesn't even make up 2% of the city's population, and downtown/midtown as a whole doesn't even make up 6% of the city's population. So I guess we will choose to ignore 95%+ of the city's population for that 2-5%, right? In fact, I doubt much in the way of tax revenue comes from that area, since it's mostly cultural institutions and yuppies in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Exactly.

On top of that, French777 and company can also take the same advice many are giving me. It's not like this petition will solve the problem, it'll just shift it on to someone else. The problem is structural, and until that's repaired the problem will still be there.

Also, this area may be the fastest growing area in the city, but I bet that area doesn't even make up 2% of the city's population, and downtown/midtown as a whole doesn't even make up 6% of the city's population. So I guess we will choose to ignore 95%+ of the city's population for that 2-5%, right? In fact, I doubt much in the way of tax revenue comes from that area, since it's mostly cultural institutions and yuppies in that area.
    As someone who grew up in and lived in one of those "other," unnamed areas, I remember what we did long before Detroit's renaissance. Our streetlights started going out in the late 1980s, early 1990s. We had an active block club. We not only petitioned, but we had post lights in our yards. My folks and some of the neighbors installed motion lights.

It's not an either-or situation. It is both-and. You can do individual things within neighborhoods AND work for larger change across the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Exactly.

Again, you can bitch about someone else petitioning and calling to get their's, or you can do the same to see what your attempts to do the same get you. You are as free as any other citizens in Detroit to try to get redress for your neighborhood's issues, and I'd suggest you do that instead of making baseless accusations.

French is doing something about his situation. What have you done to get attention to your hood, lately, besides bitching to us nobodies on an internet messageboard to no one in particular? Closed mouths don't get fed. I'm really getting tired of you presenting a false choice and making insinuations about parts of the city that you have no real proof to back up.
    Last edited by Dexlin; November-02-11 at 03:32 AM.