Letter from advocates quoted in newspaper:
...demoralizes a service that is largely underfunded. It also comes at a time when regional transit officials are gearing up to ask voters this fall to pony up for various transportation improvements.
If you are underfunded, the first thing you do is adjust your service to your funding. You know your operating cost per mile [[or whatever metric), and you know that you have achieved a reasonable level of efficiency in your operations.

In other words, you do your best with what you have been given. You don't try to deliver more than you can. And if you have to cut lines/hours/staff, etc -- then you do. And you then tell the voters and your City what you need to restore those lines.

What you don't do is limp along -- just accepting bad equipment condition. Refusing to modernize operations. And just blaming your 'funding'.

You might also consider allowing others to step in and do what you can't do. Encourage private jitneys. Encourage Uber and its kin. Be innovative.

I am frankly tired of hearing that all we need to do is 'pony up'. [[Although in this case, I do support increasing funding for transportation.) But I'm not so sure that funding should go to the existing providers unless they can make their operations efficient within their existing funding. If you can't do that, why should anyone think more money fixes anything.