Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

In the spring of 1943, more than 20,000 white workers at a Detroit plant that produced engines for bombers and PT boats walked off the job in protest over the promotion of a small handful of black workers

Read more: http://life.time.com/history/detroit...#ixzz2WnGazrCe

*SMH* thats a damn shame

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    In the spring of 1943, more than 20,000 white workers at a Detroit plant that produced engines for bombers and PT boats walked off the job in protest over the promotion of a small handful of black workers

Read more: http://life.time.com/history/detroit...#ixzz2WnGazrCe

*SMH* thats a damn shame
    Interesting that in all the pictures the only aggressors shown are white but the only people being detained are black. Ahhhh, those are the good old days that so many speask of.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Interesting that in all the pictures the only aggressors shown are white but the only people being detained are black. Ahhhh, those are the good old days that so many speask of.
    Right. lol. From what I understand a lot of the racial tensions in that time [[and the racial problems in Metro Detroit overall) were caused by White Southerners moving to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    Right. lol. From what I understand a lot of the racial tensions in that time [[and the racial problems in Metro Detroit overall) were caused by White Southerners moving to Detroit.
    No, I think we had plenty of homegrown racists too. It can't all be blamed on southerners.

Thank you for pointing that fact out. Another false alignment busted! There were and are racists down south and up south [[north)...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    No, I think we had plenty of homegrown racists too. It can't all be blamed on southerners.

This article is kind of old, but it tells the story.

http://www2.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=5041

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I used to hear that rumor as well,. but it isnt true. if Read T Surgues book you will learn that the white aggression was generally from The middle and upper class 3rd and fourth catholic and protestant White detroiters. The Southerners were happy to have a job, and would "tolerate" blacks in most cases.

They were used to living in a town with large black population,

Are you suggesting some 'PC' selection of the photos, then?

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post