Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: GAR Building

Hybrid View

The windows are going to be restored not replaced. I was the guy on the manlift and the windows are very repairable. The owners are trying to save as much of the original everything as possible.It's great to work for people who truly care about saving the original if possible. Maybe a statue of a civil war soldier with a camera should go in the niche.

Are those windows going to be treated at all so they're not leaking heat and cold? I live in a house built around the same era and a lot of the windows were original when my parents moved into this house. They spent a fortune on heat and AC for several years until the windows were replaced. It would make sense maybe to keep the frames, but windows are windows unless they're curved I don't see any reason to keep them when they're a potential financial burdon
    Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    The windows are going to be restored not replaced. I was the guy on the manlift and the windows are very repairable. The owners are trying to save as much of the original everything as possible.It's great to work for people who truly care about saving the original if possible. Maybe a statue of a civil war soldier with a camera should go in the niche.

They haven't taken down all of the boards yet, but they have taken some away. I cant wait until they remove the boards covering the front entrance! Here are some picture updates for those who haven't seen it recently:

Name:  DSC02034.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  35.1 KBName:  DSC02035.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  34.3 KBName:  DSC02036.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  39.3 KBName:  DSC02037.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  41.1 KB

Agreed. There's little that is sentimental about drafty glass panes, only GIANT expense bills. Where not talking leaded glass treatments in this case of this wonderful building, so ditch the old glass which is useless to hold in heat or cooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Are those windows going to be treated at all so they're not leaking heat and cold? I live in a house built around the same era and a lot of the windows were original when my parents moved into this house. They spent a fortune on heat and AC for several years until the windows were replaced. It would make sense maybe to keep the frames, but windows are windows unless they're curved I don't see any reason to keep them when they're a potential financial burdon